Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:29:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Coinapult SMS wallet - no internet required  (Read 4952 times)
rokj

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 07:52:58 AM

You can now use your cell phone to control your Coinapult funds. This is accomplished through simple SMS commands sent to the Coinapult phone number: (603)509-2102

Basic commands are:

help me - prints available commands
send (person) (amount) - Sends (amount) to (person). (person) can be a phone number, email or btc address.
bal - Returns your Bitcoin balance.
txs - Returns a list of your last 5 transactions.
addr - Returns a new Bitcoin address for you to receive at.
yes (code) - Confirm a send request

All Bitcoin sent to your phone number is accessible through these commands by default. Each time you receive funds, it will still give you the recovery URL, if you prefer to use the website. In the future, I'll allow site accounts to be created, and users will be able to combine multiple email addresses and phones into one account.

So, I've played around with this enough to be confident that it works well. I'd like feedback, though. I will send 0.2btc to the first 5 people who PM me their cell phone number. Please just leave your thoughts in this thread.

Currently only U.S. and Canadian numbers are supported.

[EDIT] All funds are sent. [/EDIT]

Just great idea, keep on good work and good luck!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bearbones (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 03:08:12 AM

Could you please change the text color of the answers on the faq page ? I need to select the text in order to read the text without effort. Thanks

Done, and much happier with the new color.

Also, made it easier for the API to support SMS payloads. I talked to the BitInstant guys to see when they'd have a cash to mobile option, and we don't see any barriers. They've got a lot going on right now, though, so it may be a bit.

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 09:37:22 AM

Could you please change the text color of the answers on the faq page ? I need to select the text in order to read the text without effort. Thanks

Done, and much happier with the new color.

Also, made it easier for the API to support SMS payloads. I talked to the BitInstant guys to see when they'd have a cash to mobile option, and we don't see any barriers. They've got a lot going on right now, though, so it may be a bit.

Great, is better now   Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1055

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 04:59:35 AM

Since this service costs you about $0.05 per transaction to process,  what are your long term plans on how to make money with the coinapult/SMS wallet in order for this great service to last?

Free is nice,  but ultimately it must pay for itself.

bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 06:16:53 AM

Since this service costs you about $0.05 per transaction to process,  what are your long term plans on how to make money with the coinapult/SMS wallet in order for this great service to last?

Free is nice,  but ultimately it must pay for itself.

I haven't quite decided. Been looking around for cheaper carriers, but haven't found any. The main problem is that buying text messages in bulk is more like buying half a million than a few thousand. To reduce costs, we'd have to scale WAY up.

So, the two main options are:

1. Charge a small fee for each SMS transaction
2. Continue to allow the API fees to fund Coinapult, while keeping all personal transactions free.

I'm partial to #2, though wondering whether it is fair.

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 06:18:13 AM

Awesome addition Cheesy

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 08:18:35 AM

Great work!  Very important step for BTC here Smiley 
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 07:20:07 PM

When choosing "bitcoin to e-mail" method in BitInstant to use Coinapult for exchange, it then asks for a PIN code.

I know for Coinapult e-mail a PIN code is required to use the URL link to claim the bitcoins.  Is that the case with SMS / text messaging as well?  I would think it could just drop right into the SMS wallet, since those bitcoins can only be withdrawn after acknowledging the challenge message.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 07:30:45 PM

Added to Wiki:

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Coinapult

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:43:32 PM

When choosing "bitcoin to e-mail" method in BitInstant to use Coinapult for exchange, it then asks for a PIN code.

I know for Coinapult e-mail a PIN code is required to use the URL link to claim the bitcoins.  Is that the case with SMS / text messaging as well?  I would think it could just drop right into the SMS wallet, since those bitcoins can only be withdrawn after acknowledging the challenge message.

Indeed it can and will be dropped into the SMS wallet. This will be an available setting in the upcoming account system. This account system will also add increased security to normal email transactions, as any address associated with an account will only be sent a notification that funds are available in their account. The email will provide no access to the funds.

Thanks for adding us to the wiki, btw!

moocow1452

Activity: 240

Don't mind me.

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 12:55:15 PM

Might want to see if you can start a Google Voice bot, and let the big G eat the cost for you. Google already knows everything ever, so security can't be that big an issue. If GV doesn't play nice with scripts, forward requests to an If This, Then That number, start a dropbox for text file dumps, then parse and send from that?
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 03:29:38 PM

If you do consider it, you might want to use BTCTip as an example of how to implement it:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68320.0

I've decided not to support this. Since the average transaction costs me about $0.05 in fees, I don't want to encourage people to send micro transactions. No sense paying more in fees than they are sending.

If and when the value of btc surges, alternative units can be considered - the way it is now, btc is fine.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:45:10 PM

Paging Coinapult ...   

- http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/12/power-to-the-cloud-twilio-takes-its-sms-api-global-adds-dozens-of-new-languages-150-countries

MOAR GLOBAL please!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █