Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:22:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help buying Bitcoins, brain hurts..  (Read 3729 times)
spirates (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 06:18:25 PM

So. I might not be the brightest person but atleast Ive tried to sort it out myself...

Anyway for almost a full day now Ive tried to find out the best way to buy Bitcoins, and even though I have no idea if these 2 sites are good Iam currently thinking of buying from either bitstamp.net or mtgox.com.

Starting with mtgox.com

I go to Add Funds and I get a few "Please Choose A Funding Method" options, and without choosing one you can scroll down and in the bottom it says: Please visit https://www.aurumxchange.com/funding/mtgox for easy to follow instructions on how to fund your account. So basicually you have to visit another site to get bitcoins into my mtgox account??

At the "Please Choose A Funding Method" options, if I choose Europe Bank Transfer I dont get redericted to that other site, instead I have to verify my account through sending in a copy of my passport, something I dont really wanna do..

So my question is, if I do the first option, visit that other site and somehow buy coins from that site, do i then transfer it to my mtgox account? Do i need to verify with a passport if I choose this option sometime? Why would the mtgox want me to visit another site it just sounds like a big hassle.. why not just do everything on mtgox.com...

Since I need to transfer bitcoins to another site, where Iam gonna buy stuff it will be alot of transfers :s.. First this aurumxchange.com site, then to mtgox then transfer my coins to the site i want to buy stuff from........

Bitstamp seems to be easier, but is it a good site? I dunno...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 07:06:44 PM

Where are you located?

If in Europe look for SEPA in this list: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins . Keep possible fees of the exchanges in mind!

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
thomkaufmann

Activity: 51

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 07:21:45 PM

If you're in the US, Russia, or Brazil, bitinstant.com is going to be the fastest and easiest. In fact, http://blockchain.info/wallet now offers the bitinstant service so you might just want to go there to both create and fund a bitcoin wallet. And, no, I'm not affiliated with either service. Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 07:33:31 PM

^I like thomkaufmann's idea. If in the US or Brazil or Russia go to bitinstant.com and get a payment slip. You can then go to a bank, Walmart, 7-11, etc. and deposit funds into your Mt.Gox account.  By the time you get home your dollars will be in the account and ready to start buying at Mt.Gox.

You can then buy at current price or make a low bid and hope the price comes down to you. Of course, you can also sell BTC there. Mt.Gox has good security, IMO. However you still are giving up some control while your BTC is in an Mt.Gox wallet. Make sure you have strong passwords and practices. You may also want to withdraw some bitcoins if you accumulate to much wealth at the exchange. Those coins can be withdrawn to a client running on your computer. If you do that them be sure to make multiple backups of your wallet.dat file. Loss of your wallet.dat file is loss of your coins, and yes, they are gone forever.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 07:43:38 PM

How is this going to be the currency of the future if they/re so hard to get?

+1 I think it is slowly getting easier though (maybe).
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 08:47:53 PM

It's no more difficult than with any other currency. MtGox is an exchange; you first move in dollars or euros and then exchange them for bitcoins, or vice versa.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:15:58 AM

It's no more difficult than with any other currency. MtGox is an exchange; you first move in dollars or euros and then exchange them for bitcoins, or vice versa.

Good point, but it would be cool if it was easier than fiat.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:19:22 AM

It's easier then fiat to send and receive, definitely.  Wink
There's services like Bitinstant to help you buy your coins in walmarts/cvs now, so I guess this factor is going to become a moot point in the near future.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 05:32:26 AM

There's services like Bitinstant to help you buy your coins in walmarts/cvs now, so I guess this factor is going to become a moot point in the near future.

Yep, and things might get interesting in terms of supply-demand when this happens. Might help support price. My impression is that there are a lot of people who want some/more bitcoins but find the exchange process too daunting, or not worth it, etc.
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 02:04:12 PM

When I started with Bitcoin, the more frustrated I was with getting fiat money into MtGox, the more convinced I was that Bitcoin is awesome.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
spirates (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:05:04 PM

Hello. So yesterday night I decided to transfer some money to my Bitstamp account. So I made a EU bank transfer through my bank, and this morning when I checked my bank page it said that 65 Euro had been transfered to Bitstamps Bank.

However when I log into Bitstamp I have no money added!!! Are they trying to scam me or is it normal that its a delay like this :s?

Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 07:00:45 PM

Hello. So yesterday night I decided to transfer some money to my Bitstamp account. So I made a EU bank transfer through my bank, and this morning when I checked my bank page it said that 65 Euro had been transfered to Bitstamps Bank.

However when I log into Bitstamp I have no money added!!! Are they trying to scam me or is it normal that its a delay like this :s?

The money might not appear in their account until Monday. Then it might take a day or two before they credit your account with the funds. Basically the wire itself is instantaneous, but after that there is a bunch of bureaucratic human crap that can take a while. So you have some waiting to do before suspecting a scam I think. 
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 07:49:06 PM

The money might not appear in their account until Monday. Then it might take a day or two before they credit your account with the funds. Basically the wire itself is instantaneous, but after that there is a bunch of bureaucratic human crap that can take a while. So you have some waiting to do before suspecting a scam I think. 

When banks get involved, shit that should only take a moment takes days!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 07:54:23 PM

It's hard to buy BTC because all other money sucks... it's not BTC's fault. We think dollars (or whatever) are easy to get because that's all we deal in. BTC will stop being "hard to get" when we start getting paid in them.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Luceo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 07:55:13 PM

If you want a quick and easy option, check out http://www.quickbitcoins.net. They do a lot of volume and offer a number of funding options.

lsr-can

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:12:59 PM

If you want a quick and easy option, check out http://www.quickbitcoins.net. They do a lot of volume and offer a number of funding options.

Do you know if their MoneyGram Cash Deposit option works at 7/11 or Walmart in ALL countries? IE, can I use a Canadian Walmart to transfer funds into their account, and receive bitcoins ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: