Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:21:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:04:38 AM

Great idea.  Casascius coins are awesome, but the minting premium is an issue for large scale use.

With bitcoin you are your own bank.  Now you can even withDRAW your own bitcash!

My .02BTC:

*If it has any colors, it should have BTC-orange on it in a fashion that looks good if printed in black and white.  I'm a big fan of the current standard logo and the "ubuntu" font, so these would be good.

*I think we should steer clear of putting people on it.  Even though we are talking about using scientists and engineers, the portrait theme has a government/central bank feel to it.  No portrait is simpler to print and fits with the "every-man" idea of bitcoin.

*Think outside the box, such as ShireSilver's idea below.  After all, we are re-inventing currency here!  If it wasn't for the size of govt cash, wallets could be a lot smaller.  I'm not necessarily against the full-size note, but that size does seem more fiat-fluff than utility.  

Why not make the checks credit card sized? More per sheet and you could fit more in a wallet - even put them in their own slot.

I agree 100% with everything except the size. I think the size should be the same as fiat bills. For one thing it will sell people on transitioning to their use (hey, paper bills... I recognize this!), and another is physical benefits of a standard size note. People can keep up with them better, for example, knowing the feeling of them still in their pocket etc. Smaller equals slightly easier to lose/locate, and then there is the unfounded but very real instinct that bigger always means higher value.

Remember credit card sized things are usually hard/rigid which helps handling, but these will likely be printed on regular paper (or otherwise be more of a pain to manufacture).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:07:46 AM

Great idea.  Casascius coins are awesome, but the minting premium is an issue for large scale use.

With bitcoin you are your own bank.  Now you can even withDRAW your own bitcash!

My .02BTC:

*If it has any colors, it should have BTC-orange on it in a fashion that looks good if printed in black and white.  I'm a big fan of the current standard logo and the "ubuntu" font, so these would be good.

*I think we should steer clear of putting people on it.  Even though we are talking about using scientists and engineers, the portrait theme has a government/central bank feel to it.  No portrait is simpler to print and fits with the "every-man" idea of bitcoin.

*Think outside the box, such as ShireSilver's idea below.  After all, we are re-inventing currency here!  If it wasn't for the size of govt cash, wallets could be a lot smaller.  I'm not necessarily against the full-size note, but that size does seem more fiat-fluff than utility.  

Why not make the checks credit card sized? More per sheet and you could fit more in a wallet - even put them in their own slot.

I agree 100% with everything except the size. I think the size should be the same as fiat bills. For one thing it will sell people on transitioning to their use (hey, paper bills... I recognize this!), and another is physical benefits of a standard size note. People can keep up with them better, for example, knowing the feeling of them still in their pocket etc. Smaller equals slightly easier to lose/locate, and then there is the unfounded but very real instinct that bigger always means higher value.

So how much would a bitcoin banknote be worth if it was THIS BIG?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 01:19:39 AM

Mike I will work on something for you.  I see what you want and I think it's a great idea.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:23:28 AM

Mike I will work on something for you.  I see what you want and I think it's a great idea.

I'm in too. Not looking for cash if this is something that will be openly given away!

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 02:48:39 AM

Could even go as far as selling advertising space on the these bills!
This is kind of sad. Imagine ads for mcdonalds on USD.

hi
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 02:58:01 AM

I have always said that if I were to mint gold or silver coins for distribution I would just offer advertising on part of the coin to pay for the minting costs. That way, people could get the coins at the cost of the metal.

It would not work so well with this application as the paper is going to be thrown away and will not be widely circulated.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
gsan

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:14:53 AM

I was toying with the idea of using fractal backgrounds, for their scalability and as an allusion to Bitcoin's mathematical nature.

The design isn't finished, but if you like it I can work on it some more and produce a few templates of different sizes. Resolution isn't a problem but I'm wondering what else I can put on it and whether to add some fine print.

And here's a variation with a prominent mathematician:

Although it would be pretty hard to relate Khayyam to Bitcoin, I like how this illustration worked with the rest of the design. If there is interest, we might even commission an artist to draw us a Gavin that watches over the QR-code.

Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 08:25:02 AM

I was toying with the idea of using fractal backgrounds, for their scalability and as an allusion to Bitcoin's mathematical nature.
Luv it!

The last one really looks like real money.

Further I think since you are printing this with a computer the number version should be used, not the empty field one. You would use a dedicated program to print a bunch of different denominations with the amounts pre-printed.

Could you make a version that's black and white and more simple to use less ink?

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 09:53:07 AM

Fractal designs could look very nice, their are both very simple and complex ones. Aswell as 2nd and 3d ones.
I've done them before in my design work.

rxw

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:09:33 AM

https://i.imgur.com/JvsDg.jpg

The design isn't finished, but if you like it I can work on it some more and produce a few templates of different sizes. Resolution isn't a problem but I'm wondering what else I can put on it and whether to add some fine print.

And here's a variation with a prominent mathematician:

https://i.imgur.com/e6Sp1.jpg

Although it would be pretty hard to relate Khayyam to Bitcoin, I like how this illustration worked with the rest of the design. If there is interest, we might even commission an artist to draw us a Gavin that watches over the QR-code.

Those look great! I don't care for the idea of advertising on the bills mentioned previously, though. Seems tacky
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:10:34 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2012, 07:11:18 PM by BrightAnarchist

I suppose the concept of bills could work, but they'd all be spend-once only (because the acceptor would have to scan it, destroy the bill, and then transfer the coins over to themselves, to ensure you don't defraud them later).

If someone could make them spendable multiple times, that would be amazing, but I don't know how this is possible. Unless there was a trusted third party that could do a multi signature on the coins (so that, to redeem a bill, you need to sign it with both the bill's private key and the trusted third party's private key). In this way, the bill could be verified to have the correct balance, and also be spent many times before redemption.

However: what would prevent someone from simply duplicating the bill, spend it, and then redeem the copy? Or just spend the same bill mutiple times? So it still doesn't work... There must be a way though because damn, it would be awesome.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

By nature they must be disposable.

They could be used by a merchant to return change (though any sane merchant will make their own bills for change-giving to take advantage of the advertising opportunity).  If used to return change, the change could be stolen by the merchant (or the clerk at the merchant etc) - ideally the amounts printed by users on bills would keep the change amounts low enough to make them not worth stealing.

Since the ideal use of bills requires printing lots of them to stay safe, the amount of ink used on each one is a serious consideration. On the other hand, I like that blue background. If it were SVG, the page hosting it could easily hide or display elements at will, so users could choose via a simple checkbox whether they wanted the beautiful (but ink-sipping) background versus the cheap.  And I am a big fan of the idea of using fractals as art here.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 03:43:58 PM

Agreed, I like all of the options and DAMN that bill looks sexy.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 03:52:45 PM

I like the fractal backgrounds but, as they are single use, would like to see them in black and white.

Black and white printer cartridges are cheaper !

:-)

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 04:04:31 PM

I have a feeling if I ever went down this route, it would just end up as an extension of my business card.
A means to leave with someone a card, to invoice me, or send payments. Not necessarily a means to give payment there and then.

Pretty sure by the time it's gone mainstream enough, "there's an app for that", will be a more common thing rather than still using paper.

ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 04:05:27 PM

Paper will still have valuable uses though....  Vouchers, gift cards, etc.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 04:56:39 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2012, 05:18:49 PM by Bit-pay Merchant Solutions

Here's a start, with everything on one side

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 05:12:09 PM

I don't recognize who this is, can you spoil?

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:12:58 PM

Leonardo DiVinchi I think

unclemantis

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 05:14:55 PM

Would the private and public key need to be spelled out or are we just assuming that QR-Codes will be the norm.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: