Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:03:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:24:31 PM

It needs a field where you can write down the loaded amount.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:29:11 PM

It needs a field where you can write down the loaded amount.

And that field ought to work two ways: (the way the blue bill does it seems satisfactory):

1. A user who wants specifically-denominated bills can type in a number, and the number will be superimposed on the bill and printed with his printer.

2. A user printing bills can print non-denominated bills, and the artwork will show a dimmed field allowing the user to write in the actual amount, when it is known.

When in the end I select winner(s) and ask for a showdown, I plan to ask for the following:

1.  A license to allow anyone to use and redistribute the work without attribution (sort of necessary for a bill generator)
2.  The image in a layered format, so individual elements can be swapped and/or removed as needed (such as the denomination, the box for a hand-written denomination, the portrait, or whatever)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:55:02 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2015, 06:49:32 PM by Stephen Gornick

So, what's the scenario? I go to a restaurant, but I don't have my bitcoin wallet with me, or I don't have wireless Internet connection nor a way to create offline transactions. I take out my real wallet and give the waitress a 2x 1BTC and 3x 0.1BTC sheets for my 2.3BTC bill, they happily sweep the keys.

Let me illustrate the scenario with change: suppose you have ten 1BTC bills in your wallet.  Waitress hands you a ticket for 2.3BTC.  You hand her 3 of your bills and are owed 0.7BTC in change.  She comes back and gives you 0.7BTC on one of your own bills as change.  Actually, with this being a restaurant, it's more likely that she brings you back seven 0.1BTC bills that the restaurant had custom-printed, to make it easier for you to give a tip.

In all cases, either party could screw the other, but the risks and likelihood are mitigated just by the amounts in question being so low.  Compare that to the risk faced every day by leaving cash tips on the table, or the risk that someone could just grab the cash and not come back, or could come back and pretend it was never given to them.

Here's an approach to where you'ld only carry a couple of these with you, but a transaction to the change address on one goes to fund the next (sequential) bill you carry:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74978.msg831067#msg831067

That way you one spend one bill per transaction, and the retailer never has the private key for any of your funds except for the one you handed over to be spent.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 08:19:24 PM

Here is the design printed on a black-only laser printer

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 08:36:41 PM

These would classify as public notes. What about PRIVATE notes with the private key being encrypted with an aes passphrase?

Would be handy for cold storage Smiley

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 08:47:08 PM

ok now the contrast is enhanced for better b&w printing

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 08:54:36 PM

So, what's the scenario? I go to a restaurant, but I don't have my bitcoin wallet with me, or I don't have wireless Internet connection nor a way to create offline transactions. I take out my real wallet and give the waitress a 2x 1BTC and 3x 0.1BTC sheets for my 2.3BTC bill, they happily sweep the keys.

Let me illustrate the scenario with change: suppose you have ten 1BTC bills in your wallet.  Waitress hands you a ticket for 2.3BTC.  You hand her 3 of your bills and are owed 0.7BTC in change.  She comes back and gives you 0.7BTC on one of your own bills as change.  Actually, with this being a restaurant, it's more likely that she brings you back seven 0.1BTC bills that the restaurant had custom-printed, to make it easier for you to give a tip.

In all cases, either party could screw the other, but the risks and likelihood are mitigated just by the amounts in question being so low.  Compare that to the risk faced every day by leaving cash tips on the table, or the risk that someone could just grab the cash and not come back, or could come back and pretend it was never given to them.

Here's an approach to where you'ld only carry a couple of these with you, but a transaction to the change address on one goes to fund the next (sequential) bill you carry:

That way you one spend one bill per transactin, and the retailer never has the private key for any of your funds except for the one you handed over to be spent.

If/when we have clients that support multisig, we can put a second signing key on the back-side of the serial number n+1 note.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 08:55:51 PM

[img:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52611567/print.JPG[/img]

These would classify as public notes. What about PRIVATE notes with the private key being encrypted with an aes passphrase?

Would be handy for cold storage Smiley
I had thought a similar thing.  Only I was thinking more along the lines of letter sized bonds but with the 'cool Hollywood look' for cold storage or private transfer of significant funds (personal gifts, etc)

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 11:13:01 PM

I had thought a similar thing.  Only I was thinking more along the lines of letter sized bonds but with the 'cool Hollywood look' for cold storage or private transfer of significant funds (personal gifts, etc)

Yes, you mean like this?  I could put this in my safe with important documents, and people would realize it has value.

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:17:40 PM

Yes, you mean like this?  I could put this in my safe with important documents, and people would realize it has value.

Yes exactly that!

But I was thinking more graduation/wedding gift type scenarios.  Although I would personally use them for storage as well because I am strange like that.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 11:23:28 PM

WOW. That's just... sexy! Wink
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 11:23:35 PM

Got to be honest, seeing it next to that 20 dollar bill, it looks pretty damn good.

On the banknote I would like to see the word "bitcoin" prominently placed on the note like it is on the bearer bond.

Where it says "LOAD bitcoin" and "REDEEM bitcoin", to me it would make more sense for it to use both the words LOAD and VERIFY on the left QR code, and then "SPEND" on the right one.  Mainly because these are words relating to cash, as opposed to perhaps a gift card.  And the ability to verify funds is at least as important as loading, which should only be done with the left code.

By the way, what software are you doing this in?  It shouldn't be any problem providing a layered file, right? (e.g. Photoshop)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 11:25:07 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2012, 11:53:05 PM by Bit-pay Merchant Solutions

Got to be honest, seeing it next to that 20 dollar bill, it looks pretty damn good.

On the banknote I would like to see the word "bitcoin" prominently placed on the note like it is on the bearer bond.

Where it says "LOAD bitcoin" and "REDEEM bitcoin", to me it would make more sense for it to use both the words LOAD and VERIFY on the left QR code, and then "SPEND" on the right one.  Mainly because these are words relating to cash, as opposed to perhaps a gift card.

By the way, what software are you doing this in?  It shouldn't be any problem providing a layered file, right? (e.g. Photoshop)

Mike I'm using Photoshop, and everything is layered vectors except for the background image.  I'm heading out for the night but will pick this back up tomorrow.

refresh this page one more time, they now say "Bitcoin Note" and "Bitcoin Bearer Bond"

nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 12:35:03 AM

Cool idea have Nostradamus on the note.

Cheesy
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 01:06:20 AM

Needs a little asymmetry to look really good. I'd move the Davinci photo off center...just like on the $20 bill

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 01:12:51 AM

I just realized, I'll have to add two lines to my iOS app for tracking addresses...I'll need to let users select an image of the new yet-to-be named bills and bearer bonds to assign to their address. I have Casascius coins as an option, but it would be cooler to have one of each type of coin/paper as a sub-option.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
unclemantis

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 01:15:51 AM

Damn sexy! But the private key is still in plain site so if the vault or what ever got broken into got stolen and someone DID know what bitcoin was, they would be able to redeam it right away.

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 01:33:28 AM

[img:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52611567/btc-bond.png[/img]

Damn sexy! But the private key is still in plain site so if the vault or what ever got broken into got stolen and someone DID know what bitcoin was, they would be able to redeam it right away.

Isn't that the point of a bearer bond? The bearer has the monies?

However it does pose an interesting delemia: if you are showing some with a careful picture they could empty the value.

unclemantis

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 02:22:55 AM

[img:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52611567/btc-bond.png[/img]

Isn't that the point of a bearer bond? The bearer has the monies?

However it does pose an interesting delemia: if you are showing some with a careful picture they could empty the value.

ok then. maybe I am not looking for a Bearer Bond. More like a SECURE bond?

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 02:26:08 AM

ok then. maybe I am not looking for a Bearer Bond. More like a SECURE bond?

That is the great thing about these... we are not locked into any one persons interpretation of what they should be.

Maybe you want an letter sized bond to frame or show off or whatever that has the public key, but a credit-card sized serial-numbered matched private key store.... all do-able!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: