Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:23:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 07:47:28 PM

What about the idea that the private key is more (cryptographically) protected?

What about if there were TWO QR codes, one on each side of paper? And you would need to scan both and XOR them to compose the private key? Or, on left and right part of banknote, and you will "escrow" passing just first part, then the second one?

Just thinking ...

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SpontaneousDisorder

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 08:13:24 PM

Would it make sense to have 2 notes, one with just the public key and one with both?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 08:24:25 PM

What about the idea that the private key is more (cryptographically) protected?

What about if there were TWO QR codes, one on each side of paper? And you would need to scan both and XOR them to compose the private key? Or, on left and right part of banknote, and you will "escrow" passing just first part, then the second one?

Just thinking ...

Actually, this isn't too crazy of an idea.

I have been wanting to draft a BIP for a while, which in a nutshell would propose the following:

• Unencrypted private keys should always start with '5', even if they refer to a "compressed" public key.  This means wasting "version bytes" if necessary (user mindspace is more valuable than numberspace in a version number)
  • Private keys can be simply encrypted with a password, and should use a version byte that causes the key to start with a '6' (as seen by user).  The 6 (and/or the version byte) would cause a UI to ask for a password to spend the key.  "Decryption" is performed simply by XORing the given 32-bytes with the SHA256 of the password.  The length of the payload could be increased by one or two bytes to provide 8 to 16 bits of simple typo resistance, but still using a version byte that causes the string to start with a '6' - this would allow a basic level of typo detection for the password that would allow a redemption process to distinguish "wrong password" versus "no money".
  • Bitcoin addresses should always start with 1, even if they are for "compressed" public keys unless they are distinctly different in a way that is meaningful to an average user - for example, an address starting with '2' if they are paying a multisig address.  The average user will never care if he's paying a compressed public key, but he might be interested in knowing whether he is paying an individual versus a scheme that may involve more than one individual.

Please reply in a new thread to discuss this topic if anyone feels it merits discussion.  I'd pay a bounty for this as well, only cause I don't think I'll get around to it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 08:30:58 PM

What about if there were TWO QR codes, one on each side of paper?

This needs to be average-user friendly, and while the average user can probably figure out how to print on both sides of the page given enough time and trial and error, it's a hassle.  There is also a risk they unknowingly get the two sides mismatched, resulting in a scenario where they have sent money into a black hole because the other half of "this" note was printed on the other side of "that" note they spent yesterday.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 08:31:47 PM

Now, here is a new colored version without the tilted B's.

I really like this one a lot.

Psy, just curious, does this consist entirely of vector-based content expressable in SVG?  Also what does the mathematical formula represent?

Also I notice there is a dot pattern in the background shaped like the continents of the world.  How hard would it be to make a dot or line pattern in that same space that roughly resembles the elliptic curve?  (the shape shown in BitPay's note earlier in the thread with the P and Q in it for those not clear on what I'm referring to)

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 08:37:52 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2012, 08:51:34 PM by casascius

(Bit-Pay's work removed so I'm not redundantly quoting an image)

Wow, guys! This is coming along rather nicely. I really like the above image, but not at all fond of the plain looking orange/slanted-B in the the corners. I do feeling it needs an orange shade Bitcoin logo of sorts, but not this one.

On another thread someone posted a .psd of a new "bling bling" Bitcoin logo... this would probably actually look really good here!  (though I'm not a fan of the font used for the 1's and 0's in the bling bling logo)

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 08:49:03 PM

The few non-text PSD layers that aren't in .ai format can be easily transformed in vector. Still need to check if I export it as .EPS in photoshop if I can convert to .ai or .svg in the whole instead of converting single layers by hand(should be 2 or 3 layers only).

The equation is from Satoshi's whitepaper. You can find it  on: 11.Calculations, page 7.

Tomorrow I will insert the Eliptic Curve line in there and we shall see how it looks.
hatshepsut

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 08:51:00 PM

psy, looks great! You have given me some inspiration.  Cheesy
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 08:55:36 PM

I also think that each design should prominently feature the word Bitcoin as well as something conveying what it is - Peer-to-Peer Cryptocurrency (or similar).

If you take a step back and imagine you have never heard of bitcoin and then look at Psy's bill, for example, it is clear that it's 50 of some kind of "BTC" money that starts with B, and you know it's redeemable for something because it has bar codes, but you may have no clue what the note even is, except maybe by reading tiny print.  But I think it's important the bill should not have any URL's - let one google Bitcoin instead.

teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:00:30 PM

Currency of the People ..

That line says a lot...   should be incorporated into a design..

Or "  Digital Currency of the People..  "

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 09:01:39 PM

Even just plain old "Strength in Numbers" (in English) is a pretty decent and presentable, I think.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:17:02 PM

But how do you explain the existence of rich bitcoiners?

I think it should be "in crypto we trust" to emphasis mathematics and cryptography.

Timbo925

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:26:40 PM

Keep changing stuff. Clear center bitcoin logo. Also now the bitcoin address in the top right.
Bitcoin also repeats at the botton and included the in crypto we trust slogan.
Let me now what you think Wink

edit: maybe also use the word p2p in the slogan:  "the p2p currency of the people"
teflone

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:29:02 PM

But how do you explain the existence of rich bitcoiners?

I think it should be "in crypto we trust" to emphasis mathematics and cryptography.

The only reason why I dont like In crypto we trust is because its a blatant rip off of USD ..   

It needs to have it own identity..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:35:21 PM

The only reason why I dont like In crypto we trust is because its a blatant rip off of USD ..   

Considering how "unfair" bitcoin is, it's really a stretch to call it "currency of the people".

teflone

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:37:13 PM

Considering how "unfair" bitcoin is, it's really a stretch to call it "currency of the people".

Uhhh....

Please explain unfair ?

A currency not back by any gov. and by just people like you or me..  That to me is a currency of the people..

At the very least, currency of the digital generation.

In terms of unfair..  I think your mixing up fiat and bitcoins..   fiat is unfair... 

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:46:24 PM

Uhhh....

Please explain unfair ?

A currency not back by any gov. and by just people like you or me..  That to me is a currency of the people..

At the very least, currency of the digital generation.

In terms of unfair..  I think your mixing up fiat and bitcoins..   fiat is unfair... 

There exists "rich" bitcoiners and "poor" bitcoiners. People have no say in what "rich" or "poor" bitcoiners do with their bitcoin and they can tell them to fuck off, and rightfully so.

What bitcoin enable is the autonomy of individuals, that eventually form large groups and communities. But it would be hard for 99% to compel the 1% to give up their bitcoin.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 09:47:34 PM

I would even be willing to say that avoiding the word "currency" would be a reasonable level of conservatism at this initial stage.  Likewise, I would avoid any word that invokes banking altogether.

"Of the people" sounds to me too much like "Of the 99%".  It sounds politically charged, even if it arguably isn't.

Just for the sake of the exercise I would recommend using the words "Strength in numbers" - NOT because that is the "best" choice, but because it's neutral and reflects the approximate size (character-wise) of what might best take its place.  (I assume that in most cases, unadorned text is easily replaceable and changeable).

Also, I think "LOAD/VERIFY" and "SPEND [ALL]" should be on all the submissions, even if in a small or non-prominent print.  As this idea gets established and printing bitcoin cash becomes an everyday thing, those won't be as necessary, but these serve as important training wheels for people to first to start using it.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:56:05 PM

"Of the people" sounds to me too much like "Of the 99%".  It sounds politically charged, even if it arguably isn't.

Yes. It's important to remember that EVERYONE can adopt it for any reason and that include 1%ers and drug lords!

Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 10:08:03 PM

Conservatism/neutrality is good when designing money as that invokes feelings of trust and stability.

Hence as latin is old, it should be the "Vires in Numeris".

"Load"/"spend" sounds like coupon words so don't use them.

Yellow bill by spy is not as good as the others he did, it looks jumbled + the folding/crease issue. Yellow color itself is good though.
Green and blue are likely the colors people associate with tranquility and reason the most though.

For disposable bills i think a low ink version of spys or an even a different simple version with same style is needed.

I also think it should be "Public key" instead of "address"... symmetry would require the first + it sounds more fancy.

All just my opinion of course, feel free to ignore it.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: