Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:50:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E hacked - still unfolding  (Read 22048 times)
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:08:57 PM

Who would have guessed that BTC-E was more secure than Bitcoinica?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:12:40 PM

I am not like most people. I DON"T judge the security of a website based on AWESOME WEB DESIGN.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:18:38 PM

I am not like most people. I DON"T judge the security of a website based on AWESOME WEB DESIGN.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:21:22 PM

To be fair, Bitcoinica was never hacked due to a coding error. It seemed to be management and VPS on every occasion.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:51:57 PM

To be fair, Bitcoinica was never hacked due to a coding error. It seemed to be management and VPS on every occasion.
Probably bitcoinica was never hacked altogether, bitcoinica to me looks like a scam (especially after the "no backup" and the last "money that was on mtgox lost" news) Cheesy

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:55:06 PM

Probably bitcoinica was never hacked altogether, bitcoinica to me looks like a scam (especially after the "no backup" and the last "money that was on mtgox lost" news) Cheesy

Yeah, their story is about as fake as the Colorado shooting. Someday, soon hopefully, it will come out that all the Bitcoinica/InterSango guys are establishment cronies (freemasons).

I'm grumpy!!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 05:28:18 PM

From https://btc-e.com/news/81:

Dear users of the Exchange Btc-e.com

The exchange is not going to close. We will refund all losses from our reserves.

Neither the servers nor the database were compromised. There were no SQL injections.

At 04:07 MSK (GMT+4) our LR API Secret Key was compromised. It's 16 uppercase, lowercase letters and digits. They may have bruteforced it for long.

Using the key the hacker imitated LR deposits from many accounts and bought up Bitcoins, Namecoins and Litecoins.

We lost our daily volume, approx. 4500 BTC. The attacker couldn't withdraw more
as most BTC were distributed over several offline wallets.

At 10:30 we restored the database to the state it was at 04:00, right before the attack. All trades after 4:00 are reverted.

People who attempted withdrawals before 04:00 MSK will get their funds withdrawn later today.

For people who deposited BTC, LTC and NMC after 04:00 MSK the funds will be put to their balances before market opens.
We are working on the scripts for this.

If you deposited USD after 04:00 MSK you should send us your login, amount and payment system used by email or PM.

Our plan:

1. The trade will be disabled until we restore the balances to the point before market crash.

2. After that, the trade and deposit/withdrawal will be back on, approx. within 1-2 days.

Icq - 610112128
Skype - btc-e.support
E-mail - support@btc-e.com

Well, BTC-E is doing everything in the correct way. They had backups, they reverted the trades and they will pay for everything.

+1

It actually gives me a lot of confidence.

this is gr8 news,
Excellent work btc-e!

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 05:32:05 PM

Indeed.
I will watch this closely.
BTC-E just instantly catapulted themselves to #1 of my favorite exchange. After MtGox and Intersango more or less disqualified themselves in the last few days..

Ente
andrewbadr

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 06:21:03 PM

From https://btc-e.com/news/81:

At 04:07 MSK (GMT+4) our LR API Secret Key was compromised. It's 16 uppercase, lowercase letters and digits. They may have bruteforced it for long.

Really? That would make it the longest known brute forced key I've heard of.

caveat: I haven't studied the actual implementation in LR, maybe there are shortcuts. I would've just assumed to end up in the right ballpark with an estimation along these lines:

GPU brute forcing speed - let's go with 3Mhash/s (SHA-1) based on http://golubev.com/gpuest.htm

Time-to-find 16 char l/U/# at 3Mhash/s estimation using http://lastbit.com/pswcalc.asp

Result: 510892508003511 years

(Feel free to halve for each added GPU and a final halving for 50% time instead of 100% - assume a lucky hacker)

I'm guessing there's a timing attack on LR's end.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 06:23:42 PM

Yeah, their story is about as fake as the Colorado shooting. Someday, soon hopefully, it will come out that all the Bitcoinica/InterSango guys are establishment cronies (freemasons).

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 06:24:49 PM

LMAO...

I'm grumpy!!
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 06:29:20 PM

defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 06:38:23 PM

Oh that brings back memories from the old embedded system days. Interesting hypothesis - I wouldn't be surprised to see Internet services not realizing such attacks very well can be performed over Internet-distances if you get enough tries.

Posting additional information for those who plan on making their own password-validation code not having heard about this class of attacks before: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179224/Researchers_Authentication_crack_could_affect_millions

(However, if there is such an information leak on LR's side we would surely see other services accepting LR to be affected as well)

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 07:11:24 PM

Oh that brings back memories from the old embedded system days. Interesting hypothesis - I wouldn't be surprised to see Internet services not realizing such attacks very well can be performed over Internet-distances if you get enough tries.

Posting additional information for those who plan on making their own password-validation code not having heard about this class of attacks before: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179224/Researchers_Authentication_crack_could_affect_millions

(However, if there is such an information leak on LR's side we would surely see other services accepting LR to be affected as well)

Interesting stuff. If that's the case...

the fix is simple: Program the system to take the same amount of time to return both correct and incorrect passwords. This can be done in about six lines of code, Lawson said.

I'm grumpy!!
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 07:20:12 PM

I think a web-library should be made to help assist those who want to integrate Bitcoin into their website but don't know what kind of security measures needed to be taken.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 07:26:55 PM

I think a web-library should be made to help assist those who want to integrate Bitcoin into their website but don't know what kind of security measures needed to be taken.

Something like that has been brought up before: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93115.0

I'm grumpy!!
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 07:45:40 PM

OK people. I think it is about time to create 2 keys to access API shit! If this thing was brute forced then we need to ramp up security.

BTW. If it was brute forced, how did they confirm if it was valid or not without triggering a flag in log reports on either website?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 07:48:23 PM

Something like that has been brought up before: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93115.0

Yep.  It's been suggested before.  I think Matthew was one of the first to suggest it.  Basically, I think the most successful and secure bitcoin businesses should form a bitcoin security forum, maybe include a security expert/crypto guy or two (and pay them a little bit), and publish best practices.  Even better, but probably much more difficult to implement, and it comes with its own trust issues, would be for something like that to perform audits and companies could get some sort of certification and be included in a list of companies complying with best practices.

coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 10:54:06 PM

Kudos to BTC-e for handling this situation well.  My account issues are all resolved, thanks.

I was cautious of the site prior to this event and kept a minimal balance, but I have a lot more confidence in them after this and will continue to trade BTC & LTC there.  Smiley

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 11:03:20 PM

I am going to wait until they announce a fix to the vulnerability.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: