Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:13:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Bitcoinica Hacker  (Read 4951 times)
layyen

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:00:53 AM

in bitcion you are responsible, you have more freedom, its no us who can we trust and why, if we made fault, we loose, if not we can profit, or have better life

in fiat, goverment thinks that you are baby.. there is insurance, less and less privacy, for someone its better give up freedom and privacy, been care like a baby...

take bitcoins or leave, hacker have done very good work
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:22:48 AM

rjk, You're a true retard for trusting bitcoinica and devaluing btc via short selling. They get hacked for ~48k btc and you still trust em? Then another ~18k. Complete idiots to trust em after getting hacked the first time. Short selling is bad mmkay. So FUCK YOU for using bitcoinica and devaluing btc. 

The hacker did the community a huge favor. The price of btc is up since.... so stfu and stop whining about it. You put your $$ into someone ele's hands who might I add are complete idiots and now its gone. booo-fucking-hoo.

0/10

that's the best i can do...

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:38:58 AM

People need to take responsibility of depositing their bitcoins with anyone. I don't care if they are your mamma. You keep them bitcoins safe!
That's all true, but this is not the appropriate context in which to bring that up. When someone gets raped and complains about what a jerk the rapist was, you don't lecture them on how to dress modestly or tell them they should stay home at night.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:44:55 AM

If you want a society free from criminal behavior, stop promoting a monetary system that creates distorted values and aberrant behavior, and stop having faith in those institutions that promulgate false authority.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 08:05:17 AM

Hey, being a hacker is the most profitable and stress-free job in Bitcoin world. And you almost never get caught.

Being a BITCOINICA hacker is the most profitable and stress free job in the world, and you never get caught.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 08:27:57 AM

You got it backward OP, let me reiterate...

How can 40k BTC + 18k BTC be untraceable or easily spendable ?

Why don't we instead agree to give the hacker an honest and untainted 30% of the BTC he moved ?
By honest I mean we know who he is, we know what he did, we're happy with it, and we respect him for both getting into your gox account and returning funds.
This "hacker" is a "somewhat" tech-savvy person that achieved something worth being rewarded for.

This is not a home invasion or a physical robbery, as much as some may hate it, if we get anything stolen because of a weak password or weak security policy then we should have no-one but our-self to blame.

I think this concept should be well understood by this community.
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 08:58:03 AM

I feel a bit sad the first looters, knowing now that having taken only 18k, all the time have the key to 40k BTC/USD ... Sure that feel a little bit of our frustration.

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 09:15:27 AM

I think the hacker should feel quite safe.
We will open a police investigation and get this clear on the police's side. We will not however be able to share such details publicly while an investigation is in progress.
So MtGox knows the identity of the hacker and will file a police report to their local japanese police.
Assuming that the hacker is not Japanese, I wouldn't worry too much if I where him.
MtGox doing everything "right", does indeed help the hacker:
1) MtGox decided to protect the identity of the hacker. So no need to hurry and make some mistakes.
2) In the police reports MtGox will have to show that the hacker looked like a trusted customer, otherwise MtGox could be to some extend liable
3) ...like a trusted customer, otherwise MtGox will be regulated even more
4) ...like a trusted customer, otherwise other customers could loose trust in MtGox
5) ...like a trusted customer, otherwise MtGox has to explain, why they offer hackers some VIP instant money redraw service, while honest customers have to wait.
6) they "will" file, this could be as late as next week, this buys the hacker even more time.

All that said, it is understandable that MtGox does not really want to reveal the identity of the hacker to the public.
Coinbuck @ BTCLot

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

The future begins today

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 11:02:03 AM

I think the hacker should feel quite safe.
We will open a police investigation and get this clear on the police's side. We will not however be able to share such details publicly while an investigation is in progress.
So MtGox knows the identity of the hacker and will file a police report to their local japanese police.
Assuming that the hacker is not Japanese, I wouldn't worry too much if I where him.
MtGox doing everything "right", does indeed help the hacker:
1) MtGox decided to protect the identity of the hacker. So no need to hurry and make some mistakes.
2) In the police reports MtGox will have to show that the hacker looked like a trusted customer, otherwise MtGox could be to some extend liable
3) ...like a trusted customer, otherwise MtGox will be regulated even more
4) ...like a trusted customer, otherwise other customers could loose trust in MtGox
5) ...like a trusted customer, otherwise MtGox has to explain, why they offer hackers some VIP instant money redraw service, while honest customers have to wait.
6) they "will" file, this could be as late as next week, this buys the hacker even more time.

All that said, it is understandable that MtGox does not really want to reveal the identity of the hacker to the public.

<tinfoilhat>
Maybe someone related to MtGox is involved.
</tinfoihat>

Bitcoin is the future !
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 01:20:53 PM

If you want a society free from criminal behavior, stop promoting a monetary system that creates distorted values and aberrant behavior, and stop having faith in those institutions that promulgate false authority.

If you think there won't be any crime and greed in society without monetary system you are delusional. There always will be greed with inequality, and no, we will never be equal, even without money.
Root of all 'evil' is not the money, it is human nature; we can only try to better and improve ourselves.  But if you're imagining all-in-white so to speak, all sterile future/lifestyle for humankind, i'm strongly opposing such sterile dictatorship because it will be nothing more than dictatorship.
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 02:38:12 PM

rjk, You're a true retard for trusting bitcoinica and devaluing btc via short selling. They get hacked for ~48k btc and you still trust em? Then another ~18k. Complete idiots to trust em after getting hacked the first time. Short selling is bad mmkay. So FUCK YOU for using bitcoinica and devaluing btc. 

The hacker did the community a huge favor. The price of btc is up since.... so stfu and stop whining about it. You put your $$ into someone ele's hands who might I add are complete idiots and now its gone. booo-fucking-hoo.

Wah wah wah speculators wah wah.

If you have to complain about people shorting your currency/stock/government bond etc then it probably isn't worth what you think it is  Wink

You got it backward OP, let me reiterate...

How can 40k BTC + 18k BTC be untraceable or easily spendable ?

Why don't we instead agree to give the hacker an honest and untainted 30% of the BTC he moved ?
By honest I mean we know who he is, we know what he did, we're happy with it, and we respect him for both getting into your gox account and returning funds.
This "hacker" is a "somewhat" tech-savvy person that achieved something worth being rewarded for.

Why would they accept such a deal when they can pass substantial amounts through bitcoinfog and use the rest to buy hashes at GPUMAX, keeping more like 70-80% and ensuring that the stolen coins are spread over thousands of addresses?
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 03:31:59 PM

Dear bitcoinica hacker,
I will be happy to facilitate your laundering at a fee of 25K BTC
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 03:49:21 PM

I'll do it for 4k... 10%

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
shockD

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 07:23:36 AM

People need to take responsibility of depositing their bitcoins with anyone. I don't care if they are your mamma. You keep them bitcoins safe!
That's all true, but this is not the appropriate context in which to bring that up. When someone gets raped and complains about what a jerk the rapist was, you don't lecture them on how to dress modestly or tell them they should stay home at night.

Generally I agree with your posts, but in this case, that's simply a bad analogy. A better analogy would be someone who went out on a date with a guy, got raped by him and then chose to go out on another date with him anyway. In that case, yeah, you can say the victim was a complete idiot the second time around.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 12:13:18 AM

Generally I agree with your posts, but in this case, that's simply a bad analogy. A better analogy would be someone who went out on a date with a guy, got raped by him and then chose to go out on another date with him anyway. In that case, yeah, you can say the victim was a complete idiot the second time around.
Except none of the victims chose anything. They were waiting to be refunded. To fit it into your analogy: Someone went out on a date with a guy, got raped by him, and then three weeks later, he broke into her house and raped her again. Now would you say the "victim was a complete idiot the second time around"?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 12:34:21 AM

Except none of the victims chose anything. They were waiting to be refunded. To fit it into your analogy: Someone went out on a date with a guy, got raped by him, and then three weeks later, he broke into her house and raped her again. Now would you say the "victim was a complete idiot the second time around"?

Neither analogy really works.  People chose to leave their funds on Bitcoinica after the Linode hack and they also chose to keep them on Bitcoinica after they'd been told of the management change.  It's only after the second significant intrusion that Bitcoinica was taken offline and users had no means of withdrawing their funds.  Between the first and second intrusions, users did have options.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
dancingnancy

Activity: 661

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:13:29 AM

If you sell short you need to buy it back at some point.  It is unknown how this really affected market activity because the sample is too small.

I would honestly trust ZT, after going through with what he has now, if he came back out eventually with his new version of Bitcoinica.  He has exhibited more class than people with much more life experience.  He has proven multiple times he is trustworthy, IMO. 

From everything I have read so far ZT is not responsible for any of the recent events.  I also think Genjix/Amir has been a pretty good guy throughout this ordeal for the shit people have said about him or put him through.  I don't know these people of course other than through a screen.  I'm guessing you don't know them either though.

The hacker did no one any favors but for himself/syndicate.  If you could live w/ yourself after this of course.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:18:46 AM

What other short selling services are out there? None other to my knowledge... kronos.io is still beta, thus its not active. Are there any other short selling services?

icbit.se

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Ichthyo

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 01:25:10 AM

What other short selling services are out there? None other to my knowledge... kronos.io is still beta, thus its not active. Are there any other short selling services?

icbit.se

Also, in a certain sense: bitdaytrade.com
BTC -> USD -> Gold Contract-for-difference
shockD

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:49:25 AM

Yes, after the linode hack, they were completely stupid to leave any significant amount funds in there. 0 sympathy.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: