Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:32:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AVG is flagging bitcoin.exe as Generic Trojan  (Read 2746 times)
Exonumia (OP)

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 04:29:42 AM

Just a heads up if you have AVG on a machine that you need bitcoin to be running on, it might not be running right now.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/0214bed84935ae396859a7e1f7de742544f8d75d

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=a69de4fc3fdfa08a4b2f8a8e65840dfe1a719d28744759e431d2592fb8f2016d-1315886735

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
burger

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 01:49:18 PM

Same for me! I'm running AVG in windows 7 64-bit.

bcforum

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 02:03:35 PM

Just a heads up if you have AVG on a machine that you need bitcoin to be running on, it might not be running right now.

I became irritated with the spam bundled with AVG and switched to Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems to be of equal (or better) quality to AVG, but without the annoying popups.

Anyway, if your anti-virus software Doesn't report bitcoin.exe as infected you should get new software. Several people have wrapped a trojan around the bitcoin.exe and spread it into the wild to perform CPU mining, and there are lots of pretty signatures in the bitcoin executable for the scanners to find. You should be able to whitelist bitcoin.exe and move on.

If you found this post useful, feel free to share the wealth: 1E35gTBmJzPNJ3v72DX4wu4YtvHTWqNRbM
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 02:05:49 PM

Sad

This will make it a lot harder for the world to accept bitcoin.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
BlockHash

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 02:08:11 PM

Oh the humanity!

Microsoft Security Essentials and Kaspersky both are still ok.
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:11:42 PM

Don't blame AVG or the AV vendors.  Blame the asshats out there that are bundling bitcoin mining software into their malware.
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:15:02 PM

Really everyone should be using Microsoft Security Essentials now anyways
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:31:34 PM

What if an "asshat" decided to wrap some code around putty.exe, utorrent.exe, or firefox.exe...
Should a anti virus package go around messing with all of these legit *.exe programs? Of course not.
It strikes me as lazy to start tagging it as a virus in a wholesale manner. It is pretty much what
I have come to expect from quite a few anti virus programs. MS sec essential user here also. Seems
to be the best going right now.
plogank

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:22:09 PM

I had the problem earlier today.  I just updated AVG and scanned.  No problem. They must have fixed it...

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
BGL

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:23:06 PM

Oh the humanity!

Microsoft Security Essentials and Kaspersky both are still ok.

MSE flagged 2 or more machines here. But i'm pretty sure i've seen it miss others. Not sure what to say about it.
bcforum

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:24:49 PM

MSE flagged 2 or more machines here. But i'm pretty sure i've seen it miss others. Not sure what to say about it.

If you run a full scan MSE will flag bitcoin.exe. If you run a quick scan it won't.

If you found this post useful, feel free to share the wealth: 1E35gTBmJzPNJ3v72DX4wu4YtvHTWqNRbM
um0rion

Activity: 91

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:01:34 PM

I came home today and AVG had displayed numerous alerts saying bitcoin.exe was on my system, and that it was a trojan. Looks like its time to move this machine to Avast as well.
BGL

Activity: 60

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:42:22 PM

My 2c

AVG has seriously gone down hill the last couple+ years. I've used free & paid versions. I no longer run (free or full) AVG on any machine.

I do however run the stand alone AVG LinkScanner on a few machines. It is 'OK' but can cause brief hangs in the browser here & there. The whole AVG toolbar situation (upon install & after) is obnoxious at best.

As far as Avast is concerned.. I've tried to choke it down a few times but just never end up committing. Last time i checked it ran more like nagware and required signup/subscription/blah blah not even sure the free version is ultimately free &/or doesn't expire.

MSE just kind of fills a gap of *something* being there that doesn't seem to cause complications or require frequent attention.

On a few machines (depends on type of user(s)) i run:

1. AdblockPlus
2. NoScript (for more experienced users)
3. AVG Linkscanner
4. MSE
5. Statically Assigned Norton DNS servers (nortondns.com)

No one hates Symantec & Norton products more than i do but the free DNS service they provide surprisingly seems decent. Obviously a router can be set to their dns servers too covering the machines on a lan easily.

Those items combined (in combo of firefox obviously) seems to be about as effective as it's going to get for an end user.
bcforum

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 02:49:24 AM

No one hates Symantec & Norton products more than i do

Wanna bet? The last good thing to come out of norton was the pink shirt book.

but the free DNS service they provide surprisingly seems decent. Obviously a router can be set to their dns servers too covering the machines on a lan easily.

I switched to google DNS (http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html), but I can't remember why now. Probably because it was faster.

Edit: Oh yeah, my ISP started redirecting typos to their own spam pages. That's why I switched to google DNS.

Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 02:56:27 AM

I know this is slightly off topic but both Google and Norton DNS are fantastic if you're based in China.

No more:

Login hijacks on gmail.

You're actually able to access a large portion of the internet.

And you can get on the forums here  Grin

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:52:16 PM

Mine is also doing the same thing, but I use a few other scanners before I feel comfortable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: