Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:42:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should a bitcoinica clone be put online ?  (Read 7540 times)
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:06:32 PM

If you think you can manage the financial exploit side of things (not allow anonymous accounts to have up to 10:1 leverage [leaving them with negative acc balances in some cases], and forbid 5:1 and 10:1 in general), then I am all for it. Please do it.

We need shorting back.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:53:24 PM

We need shorting back.

Aye. Could care less for trading on margin and interest on deposits and open positions.

How come mt-gox does not allow short selling? Financial regulations?

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:10:12 PM

We need shorting back.
Aye. Could care less for trading on margin and interest on deposits and open positions.
Uhhh, shorting in this sense is trading on margin. Interest was there to attract capital, but it shouldn't be needed for a well-funded setup.
Without margin, you can "short" by simply selling into the market.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:44:39 PM

We need shorting back.
Uhhh, shorting in this sense is trading on margin. Interest was there to attract capital, but it shouldn't be needed for a well-funded setup.

I am not sure that I would agree with that.  Many people may have a desire to have a negative balance of BTC which is perfectly legitimate.  In that case, borrowing from your own stash is not possible.

At this point I _want_ to own N BTC.  I can short by borrowing (from myself) and selling to the point where I have fewer than N and plan to buy them back when the price falls.  If it doesn't fall, I lose...if I my N target remains valid and I buy in to achieve it.

I believe that 'margin' commonly implies 'leverage' (using fewer notional value of one asset to control a higher value of another) but I am not certain of that.

Back to Blitz's original; who is 'we'?  You could probably find someone to loan you some BTC if the price is right.  If I were to do so, I would want pretty solid protection up to about $100/BTC (where I plan to sell a certain fraction of my holdings anyway) and I don't have any automation set up (to buy in in an emergency) so I'l probably want, say, $10,000 to loan you 100 BTC.  Kind of negative leverage if you will.  I would be surprised if you jumped on the deal...and disappointed since in reality I have no interest in dealing with all the hassles.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:48:36 PM

I believe that 'margin' commonly implies 'leverage' (using fewer notional value of one asset to control a higher value of another) but I am not certain of that.
Right, because you are borrowing (on margin) in order to use a ratio-based leverage.

Anyways, it's what the market wants, so it should be done even if some people don't like it.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:51:39 PM

We need shorting back.

I am not sure that I would agree with that.  Many people may have a desire to have a negative balance of BTC which is perfectly legitimate.  In that case, borrowing from your own stash is not possible.

At this point I _want_ to own N BTC.  I can short by borrowing (from myself) and selling to the point where I have fewer than N and plan to buy them back when the price falls.  If it doesn't fall, I lose...if I my N target remains valid and I buy in to achieve it.

Back to Blitz's original; who is 'we'?  You could probably find someone to loan you some BTC if the price is right.  If I were to do so, I would want pretty solid protection up to about $100/BTC (where I plan to sell a certain fraction of my holdings anyway) and I don't have any automation set up (to buy in in an emergency) so I'l probably want, say, $10,000 to loan you 100 BTC.  Kind of negative leverage if you will.  I would be surprised if you jumped on the deal...and disappointed since in reality I have no interest in dealing with all the hassles.

There is the potential for leverage any time you sell other people's currency with none of your own to back up the loan.

Example:
Sell 1 BTC @ $9.25 with $10 margin.  BTC rises to $12.  You now owe 1 BTC (worth $12) and your margin is only $10.  You are now leveraged.

I suppose a system could be set up that force liquidated before allowing leverage, but I doubt you would have any customers.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:03:19 PM

Right, because you are borrowing (on margin) in order to use a ratio-based leverage.

Anyways, it's what the market wants, so it should be done even if some people don't like it.

FWIW, I personally am fine with any trading platorm/scheme which anyone comes up with.  In a non-regulated market (of which Bitcoin is a prime example...and happily so) there is room for significant price manipulation.  But I feel that over the long haul, the markets will find their natural place and I happen to be in it for the long haul.  In the interim period, a person who is reasonably adept at analysis, has some observation skills, and knows what they want can capitalize greatly on things.

I don't buy the assertion that manipulated value fluctuation detract significantly from Bitcoin's usability as an exchange currency.  It just opens possibilities for people to invent platforms which mitigate the impacts.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:09:37 PM

I
 believe that 'margin' commonly implies 'leverage' (using fewer notional value of one asset to control a higher value of another) but I am not certain of that.

There is the potential for leverage any time you sell other people's currency with none of your own to back up the loan.

Example:
Sell 1 BTC @ $9.25 with $10 margin.  BTC rises to $12.  You now owe 1 BTC (worth $12) and your margin is only $10.  You are now leveraged.

I suppose a system could be set up that force liquidated before allowing leverage, but I doubt you would have any customers.

I think:

1) That in a typical trading platform, 'leverage' (and 'margin') is achieved in a much more straightforward manner.

2) That in a typical trading platform, not only is it common for the operator to protect himself/herself against loss by using forced liquidation, it is part and parcel to a successful and profitable design.

2-comment)  Bitcoinica had absurd fees in part to (attempt to) achieve #2 given the fierce volatility which appears in the Bitcoin economy from time to time.

mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:38:56 PM

With the leak of the code I'm asking myself whether it would be a good idea to setup a bitcoinica clone.

Pros :
  • Would make some good money
  • There is demand for gambling margin trading
  • Half the profits could go to the people who lost money because of Bitcoin Consultancy/Bitcoinica/[insert scapegoat here]
  • The app itself has never been broken into (even though it's quite surprising when reading the code)

Cons :
  • Needs moar reverse-engineering/fixing
  • Needs moar testing

Thoughts ?

I would personally improve on the current system with better ideas. Most anything online is available to the right person with "abilities". Taking away the temptation is a better idea, to me, anyway.
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 08:27:51 PM

I would personally improve on the current system with better ideas.

Go ahead, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93583.0
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 05:37:49 AM

Back to Blitz's original; who is 'we'?  You could probably find someone to loan you some BTC if the price is right.  If I were to do so, I would want pretty solid protection up to about $100/BTC (where I plan to sell a certain fraction of my holdings anyway) and I don't have any automation set up (to buy in in an emergency) so I'l probably want, say, $10,000 to loan you 100 BTC.  Kind of negative leverage if you will.  I would be surprised if you jumped on the deal...and disappointed since in reality I have no interest in dealing with all the hassles.
"We" is us, as in Bitcoiners, who would benefit from more efficient price discovery and better liquidity in case a shorting mechanism becomes widely available again with a low barrier to entry.
mystery2048

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:40:47 AM

Yes!!! We need a new bitcoinica, because I wanna short these things so I can make some money...

Important: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92424.0;all

Donations: 1HWMQv2VYviAgpy6NWNvVg9JhKm4zcMGS5
davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 05:57:21 PM

If someone is interested in trying out what I've been working on, send me a PM.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:06:46 PM

If someone is interested in trying out what I've been working on, send me a PM.
You've sure been quiet lately, I'm assuming you have put a lot of hard work into this. Beta testers, let us know how it goes! Grin

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 06:20:56 PM

Do not forget to have enough funds to push the market either way to make people who are leveraged lose their money. Then return the BTC to the market price.

AKA The Manipulator

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 06:24:24 PM

Do not forget to have enough funds to push the market either way to make people who are leveraged lose their money. Then return the BTC to the market price.

AKA The Manipulator
The house doesn't make more money when the liquidation of a position is forced as opposed to triggered by the user.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 07:11:42 PM

AKA The Manipulator
The house doesn't make more money when the liquidation of a position is forced as opposed to triggered by the user.

Say I am shorting 10 BTC at 10:1 at the price of $9/BTC.

At $9.5 I am forced to liquidate.

If the price jumps up to $9.4 then returns to $9 I am still sitting at the same 10 BTC.

If the price jumps up to $9.6 then returns to $9 I have zero BTC.

Who gets those 10 BTC when it jumps up to $9.6 then back?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 08:07:20 PM

If the price jumps up to $9.4 then returns to $9 I am still sitting at the same 10 BTC.

The house simply gets its loan back by buying back when the price rises when liquidating a short.
Actually, the more money you make, the more money the house makes, there is definitely no incentive to force-liquidate positions.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 02:29:51 AM

The house simply gets its loan back by buying back when the price rises when liquidating a short.
Actually, the more money you make, the more money the house makes, there is definitely no incentive to force-liquidate positions.

I do not think bitcoinica actually sold a bitcoin for every bitcoin shorted. They would internally say they did and only sell when necessary.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:30:55 AM

Is this the source code used under bitcoinica.com exchange: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/w6xen/bitcoinica_press_release/ ?

Cheers!
Thiago
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: