Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:49:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How about ... a search engine just for inventory at Bitcoin accepting sites  (Read 3198 times)
lacedwithkerosene (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 08:26:50 AM
Last edit: May 22, 2011, 07:33:47 PM by lacedwithkerosene

Update: Seeking merchants. First three to sign up and send their inventory list can put a banner on the homepage with free click-throughs for a month. Asking for just a small 2 BTC total for 3 months of the service, to be split to the programmers. Private donations graciously welcome.

The idea is to run a simple search engine that goes through the listed inventory of products that can be bought from bitcoin-accepting sites. To keep things simple, for any matches for a given input, the output results would be a link to the business home page, not actual product url. But users would know that they could then follow that link, and the product WOULD be available on their site (up to them to be in stock). As far as the algorithm for positive results with multiple business matches, I would like to keep it randomized so there is no bias to alphabetical or signup order. Perhaps a pay-for-first-results link could be implemented if there were ever more than a handful of matches.

Programmers - would you want to code the search engine itself? Graphically this is a low-frills project to get it up. I would like the search to have some smarts though.

Businesses - would you like to be listed (either a flat fee or click-through ads on the home page, no fee for search results)? If you don't have any digitized inventory lists, would you be willing to create one? If so I am willing to create tags if you want me to so that searches can become more generic in the future.

For example, for now I would like to return results for "ATI Radeon HD 5970" (hypothetical item description which comes from a business' inventory spreadsheet), but on my own time I would end up putting tags "graphics" and "card". The search would be tailored to show results for one or all words in the product description, and include an option to include tags if wanted.

In my mind this will enable people to easily see if they can buy a specific product from a bitcoin-accepting vendor.

I will absolutely not accept indexing any sites that are offering illegal goods or services.

Anybody want to be involved?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 08:40:13 AM

Very interesting idea, and yep, im quite interested, I've been coding on and off for the last 4'ish years, and PHP for the last couple, so i'de be able todo it.
If you want to talk more my skype is TheNetWasMyIdea Smiley

-SW
lacedwithkerosene (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 09:28:21 AM

Thanks for the interest. I am hoping to get enough merchants to chime in and then we can start talking more. For you and any other potential programmers reading, I also want to get an idea of your 1) Interest in doing this for more of a large royalty/stake or alternatively a principal cost plus interest paid back by revenue over time than for an upfront project fee (is that a dealbreaker?) and 2)Whether you could be a part of a small team with 1 or 2 other coders.

Essentially I am looking for some people like me who sees this as something that would be a step in the right direction for the community, and that doing it right over time could result in a better payout. Something we could say is the site "we" built and not just some code you programmed and sold me. Ideally it is a continuing association, and for upgrades we mutually agree on what can be done so you're not just a hired gun. Say I can message you and say "hey can this be added" and you say "yeah I could do that" or "how about this instead" instead of "that'll be $xx for x hours of work." Then you program the new feature while I communicate with merchants. We understand that we should make a better site to get more traffic, because we both have an ownership interest.

Feel free to send responses to PM.

SomeoneWeird

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 09:32:34 AM

Yeah, I don't really care how I get paid, if I even do (i'd be happy with donations or something), and it really depends how the other people code and stuff aswell Smiley
tsakf

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 09:38:18 AM

I'm interested also. I don't mind about payment. bitcoin donations is enough for me. No problem to be a member of a group up to 3 programmers.
lacedwithkerosene (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 09:50:28 AM

Thanks for the responses! Please note that I am very serious about being generous to anyone who is in this, if profits on my end become a reality. I think having two guys available to do work at different times would be great, and so would collaborating on a certain script to get more done than you could have yourself.

The two of you may want to message each other and discuss your skillsets, and hit it off, if you will.

I have to get some sleep now, but expect a group discussion soon if I can get some merchant contacts.

Preliminarily: The first merchants to sign up will pony up some BTCs to the programmers for the rights to have their database added to the search engine for 3 months. Renewal is therefore on a quad-annual basis. Listing rates and inventory lists can be updated at that time.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 11:07:47 AM

Seems like a good idea. Don't forget though that people won't want to pay much until you have lots of eyeballs and you won't get eyeballs until you have something to search through. I don't know what model is best, but you might give a free month or something. People are going to be more likely to get a list and give it to you if they get something for free and then more likely to keep paying if it gets them some traffic/sales and won't require anything but payment to keep going.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 11:11:21 AM

Another plan might be to make it wider than a bitcoin merchandise engine, like everything bitcoin to get people using it and then charge merchants either for placement in a shopping section or at the top whenever they would be relevant. Just throwing things out.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
lacedwithkerosene (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 07:31:40 PM

Edited OP with an offer to merchants. If I can get a similar amount of private donations from potential users, I can pass that on the programmers and waive the merchant fees for the early adopters instead.

Still seeking any comments from potential users. Thanks freemoney.

charliesheen

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 09:22:45 PM

How much of the profits are you realistically looking to share?

lacedwithkerosene (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 09:29:01 PM

How much of the profits are you realistically looking to share?

Less than your $60,000 project fee + 50% ownership offer.

charliesheen

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 09:48:36 PM

I am very serious about being generous to anyone who is in this, if profits on my end become a reality.

We understand that we should make a better site to get more traffic, because we both have an ownership interest.

Preliminarily: The first merchants to sign up will pony up some BTCs to the programmers for the rights to have their database added to the search engine for 3 months.

1. How generous? How many hours are you expecting it to take to go live?
2. Better site != more traffic, do you have a plan for acquiring more traffic?
3. Whats the long term plan for the site?
4. Are you going to have an APIs for merchants, how many types of Databases will you support?
5. What  kind of platform will this created be on?

Sawzall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 12:11:35 AM

What about Google Custom Search?
lacedwithkerosene (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2011, 01:11:11 AM

What about Google Custom Search?

Thanks for the idea but a few things: 1)The cost of service 2)Want to keep this more of a community effort 3)As a utility, it doesn't serve the purpose I want. It would return multiple links per site for every subpage that contained the search result, whether it was in the store's inventory or not (if the website sold power supplies only, I don't want it to be a positive result for term "graphics card" because the store's description was "Power supplies that can power any graphics card there is". Each site with the product should actually get only one link, for now to the home page. However, I want to end up manually tying direct links to popular search terms, so that the results can link to the exact page.

charliesheen

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 04:04:43 PM

Whats the domain of the site being developed?

Sawzall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:42:16 PM

Pretty sure custom search has a free option.
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 10:46:43 PM

there's a big difference between feeding some API data and building an engine to crawl sites.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
bearbones

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 01:35:53 AM

A bunch of pessimists.  What does it hurt to give it a try?  Bitcoin has to become more accessible somehow!

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
SomeoneWeird

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 01:39:15 AM

A bunch of pessimists.  What does it hurt to give it a try?  Bitcoin has to become more accessible somehow!

Exactly, and 24 hours later, the site is pretty much up and running, now we just need product lists from merchants Smiley
lacedwithkerosene (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 01:59:03 AM

Exactly, and 24 hours later, the site is pretty much up and running, now we just need product lists from merchants Smiley

Hey man ... we got our first guy right above you. I'll update the collab site.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: