Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:17:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is my real hashrate?  (Read 3766 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 06:24:52 PM

CGMiner 8 hours ago about 20min after I started said 1827Mhash/s, BTC Guild showed 1564Mhash/s

Now CGMiner says 1840Mhash, and BTC Guild said 1866 then I refreshed and it said 1878, how do I know what my real hashrate is? (Refreshed again, 1900Mhash)

Will CGMiner make pools report higher because I heard it had lowest stale rates?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:06:55 PM

Your hash rate shouldn't change much on cgminer unless you've got something over/underclocking based on temperature dynamically (like some FPGAs do).

Your real hash rate is what cgminer states.  Pools do not know your real speed, they estimate it using share submissions.  Share submissions are influence by how "lucky" you are.  The faster the miner, the more likely your reported rate from the pool will match the miner (higher speed = more constant stream of share submissions = less overall variance in your average).

It is never going to be exact because there is variance.  On BTC Guild, you can click 'Performance Charts' on the left sidebar and view graphs of your worker speeds.  The 2 week chart uses 6 hour intervals.  The 72 hour chart uses 4 hour intervals, and the 24 hour chart uses 1 hour intervals.  These are based on VALID share submissions only, so submissions of stales/duplicates will not be included in the speed.  The larger the interval, the closer it should be to your speed.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
420 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:11:34 PM

Your hash rate shouldn't change much on cgminer unless you've got something over/underclocking based on temperature dynamically (like some FPGAs do).

Your real hash rate is what cgminer states.  Pools do not know your real speed, they estimate it using share submissions.  Share submissions are influence by how "lucky" you are.  The faster the miner, the more likely your reported rate from the pool will match the miner (higher speed = more constant stream of share submissions = less overall variance in your average).

It is never going to be exact because there is variance.  On BTC Guild, you can click 'Performance Charts' on the left sidebar and view graphs of your worker speeds.  The 2 week chart uses 6 hour intervals.  The 72 hour chart uses 4 hour intervals, and the 24 hour chart uses 1 hour intervals.  These are based on VALID share submissions only, so submissions of stales/duplicates will not be included in the speed.  The larger the interval, the closer it should be to your speed.

Okay so for example my CGMINER got 1840 (at higher watts too) compared to Diablo Miner 1920

But if Diablo has higher stale rate (heard cgminer has lower stales) would that nullify that type/amount of difference in Mhash rate?

eleuthria
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:15:40 PM

That's a huge hash rate difference, not sure why you would see that kind of variance between two miners.

Unless Diablo was giving you 4%+ invalid shares, it would be better to use Diablo over cgminer.  You may want to check the cgminer thread or ask questions on the hardware forum about proper settings for your cards though, perhaps you can get cgminer to go as fast or faster.

420 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:23:22 PM

That's a huge hash rate difference, not sure why you would see that kind of variance between two miners.

Unless Diablo was giving you 4%+ invalid shares, it would be better to use Diablo over cgminer.  You may want to check the cgminer thread or ask questions on the hardware forum about proper settings for your cards though, perhaps you can get cgminer to go as fast or faster.

THanks thats what I've been asking for ages, the experienced miners don't seem to have time for me! Haha

BAMT was able to fully utilize the GPU's it seemed, BAMT page says it uses phoenix, phoenix2 or CGMiner (or it said can manage them)

I posted the question on their thread

My LAST question for you, if there are stale shares it would readout for example diablo right now says: "accept: 1466 | reject: 0 | hw error: 0"

So stales would be rejects right? accepts ticks up about 1 a second

eleuthria
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:33:49 PM

A reject is any type of invalid share.  Normally your only type of invalid should be a stale.  The other types of invalids are "Duplicate" (your miner submitted the same share to the pool twice) and "Unknown" (your miner submitted a share that didn't come from the pool).

Duplicates can happen if your miner doesn't get a response from the pool (could be from packet loss) acknowledging a share.  The miner resends it, and the pool already got it (and recorded it as valid), but rejects the resubmission.  Your miner only received the response to the 2nd one.

Unknown is much more rare.  It used to occasionally happen related to fallback pools (your miner would submit work from the main pool to a fallback pool if it lost connection), but I believe all miners these days have fixed that.  The only way an Unknown share should appear on BTC Guild is if the server crashed (not common), or if you took more than 10 minutes to return the share (your internet went down and when it reconnected it tried to submit the share).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: