Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:52:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending coins to trash -- probably the biggest threat to bitcoin  (Read 4220 times)
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 02:49:00 AM

It's unlikely people lose Bitcoins by sending them to the wrong address. Just because one is lost, doesn't mean a vicious cycle of destruction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 08:24:42 AM

We call the current minimum protocol unit the satoshi because it was the first such unit, and we are sentimental creatures.  That unit has no other special features. 
A lot of people hold this current maximum unit of division in special regard. A few people are even calling for using it as default unit for denominating BTC amounts. We should do a better job of informing that 10^8 is just a current implementation detail and not "holy" such as the 21,000,000 limit.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Stampbit

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:27:54 PM

Not at all a threat, deleted or lost coins dont really matter, im mean after all we can just all trade in billionths of a coin, just like we all wouldnt mind owning billionths of a cent!~
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:37:04 PM

figure out at what point it would make sense to add more decimal places in order to avert an inflationary spiral that will eventually result from lost coins

Did you mean to write deflationary spiral?  Or??

Anyway, adding more decimal places doesn't create more coins.     The same amount of money exists with $1 as does with 100 pennies.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:46:22 PM

I could see us breaking down Bitcoin 8 more decimal places when we have calculated that only about 10,000 BTC are left in existence.

Thanks for confirming that I have correctly interpreted the second point in SgtSpike's answer. Unfortunately, this now means that I have to go back to the drawing board and figure out at what point it would make sense to add more decimal places in order to avert an inflationary spiral that will eventually result from lost coins (if we ever succeed at building a flourishing BTC-based economy around the bitcoin protocol). Sad

I know that the issues I'm trying to bring to the miners' attention may appear somewhat odd at this point, but please take note of the inferences that I've made throughout this thread, as understanding them would prove essential in a miner's ability to take maximum advantage of the GOLD 2.0 era we're passing through right now. I don't think that it will be years before I can finally share (in layman's terms) what had clicked in my head after I came across one of Gavin's old tweets, back in 2011 (see a hard copy below). It's just I haven't yet found a professional writer (with background in bitcoin and economic theory) to help me put the right words on paper, so to speak. Why would I need a professional writer? Well, as some of you may have already noticed, any attempt that I take to construct a structural argument around BTC money supply (not monetary base units, a.k.a. raw bitcoins) it only seems to take everyone's attention away from the main points of that argument... It appear that I'm just not cut out for explaining intricate things in prose. Wink

So you're saying that converting $1 bills into pennies would also cause the USD to go into an inflationary spiral?

It's not that you're doing a bad job of explaining your arguments, it's that your arguments are bad.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:16:23 PM

Bitconomist,

I have found one of your lunatic rogue miners, and they are using an ASIC!

"So we’re destroying the private key used by our Bitcon wallet. That leaves our growing pile of Bitcoin lucre locked away in a digital vault for all eternity..."

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/05/butterfly_live/

Of course they would never do anything like donate the coins to charity, or feel the slightest pity for all the people with pre-orders who have been waiting a year to get their own machine, only to see commercial samples given away first.

BTConomist (OP)

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 11:24:53 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2013, 02:55:25 AM by BTConomist

Why do you and others still assume that when I'm discussing deflation or inflation I refer to BTC exchange rate fluctuations? Remember, I don't speak the GOLD 2.0 dialect... I speak straight up BTC! Wink

Are you interested in learning how to speak proper BTC (will be offering classes soon)? In the meantime, may I suggest that you take maximum advantage of the GOLD 2.0 era exchange rates. Cool

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 09:18:28 AM

Man, you tech guys are extremely patient. How on earth did this question about a basic economic misconception reach 3 pages?
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 11:29:09 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2013, 11:48:51 AM by John Smith

"So we’re destroying the private key used by our Bitcon wallet. That leaves our growing pile of Bitcoin lucre locked away in a digital vault for all eternity..."
The world’s most popular digital currency really is nothing more than an abstraction.
It's only an abstraction anyway! Stupid abstractions...  Huh Interesting form of nihilism.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:39:55 PM

Man, you tech guys are extremely patient. How on earth did this question about a basic economic misconception reach 3 pages?

We discuss our opinions lol. It's valuable discussion.

bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:55:52 PM

Why do you and others still assume that when I'm discussing deflation or inflation I refer to BTC exchange rate fluctuations? Remember, I don't speak the GOLD 2.0 dialect... I speak straight up BTC! Wink

Are you interested in learning how to speak proper BTC (will be offering classes soon)? In the meantime, may I suggest that you take maximum advantage of the GOLD 2.0 era exchange rates. Cool

If we intentionally moved the decimal place every X amount of time, would that not simulate inflation?  Many economists assert that inflation encourages investment.  If we just intentionally destroy 18.9 million coins (leaving us with only 2.1 million), and then immediately slide the decimal place over and rename THAT a bitcoin, all of a sudden everyone holding 1 "bitcoin" now holds 10 "bitcoins".  It's the exact same thing the FED is doing.  $10 dollars now is worth the same as what $1 dollar was worth 100 years ago.  The blockchain would handle it seamlessly because it don't care what the numbers are CALLED, and all clients would just internally shift the decimal.

Basically you could invert the idea of Gold 2.0 and create the same kind of economy the US is based on.

Is this why are obsessed with the validity of the statement that 1 bitcoin could still service the entire world and keep referring to a "vaccine to gold 2.0"?
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 04:27:00 PM

Basically you could invert the idea of Gold 2.0 and create the same kind of economy the US is based on.

It is precisely that. Thanks for noticing.

But don't just take my word for it.

Is this why you are obsessed with the validity of the statement that 1 bitcoin could still service the entire world and keep referring to a "vaccine to gold 2.0"?

Yes, something like that.

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
bigbeninlondon

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:02:20 PM

It is precisely that. Thanks for noticing.

But don't just take my word for it.

Is this why you are obsessed with the validity of the statement that 1 bitcoin could still service the entire world and keep referring to a "vaccine to gold 2.0"?

Yes, something like that.

How do you get all miners to agree to this?  How do you prevent miners from secretly retaining a key they "destroyed" in order to retain large volumes of wealth?

Also, why is it so bad that bitcoin acts like a "Gold 2.0"?  The world needs something like gold that does't require physical storage and can be easily transported worldwide.  Why would you want to destroy that?
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 05:36:31 PM

How do you get all miners to agree to this?  How do you prevent miners from secretly retaining a key they "destroyed" in order to retain large volumes of wealth?

With a poison pill, if need be. Cool  But let's hope it doesn't have to come to that... While gradual changes benefit the majority, an abrupt one would only benefit my ego and the pockets of those who had prepared for the change.

Also, why is it so bad that bitcoin acts like a "Gold 2.0"?  The world needs something like gold that does't require physical storage and can be easily transported worldwide.  Why would you want to destroy that?

It's not the qualities of gold that's the problem, it is the pervasive treatment of those qualities as gold. Speculation is healthy for the bitcoin economy, but only if it is based on the expectations about future "economic" growth, and not on the proliferation of GOLD 2.0 worshiping.

bigbeninlondon

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 05:41:23 PM

With a poison pill, if need be. Cool  But let's hope it doesn't have to come to that... While gradual changes benefit the majority, an abrupt one would only benefit my ego and the pockets of those who had prepared for the change.

What is this "poison pill"? 

It's not the qualities of gold that's the problem, it is the pervasive treatment of those qualities as gold. Speculation is healthy for the bitcoin economy, but only if it is based on the expectations about future "economic" growth, and not on the proliferation of GOLD 2.0 worshiping.

But a storage of value is valuable.  Speculation that a store of value will gain value should be expected.  Why demonize it?
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 06:35:25 PM

What is this "poison pill"?

Just to clarify, the poison pill is not designed to destroy the bitcoin use as a viable currency, it will merely target the bitcoin use as a GOLD 2.0 speculative asset. But to answer your question, for me to discuss any of its details now will introduce an abrupt change. Remember, I stand behind the gradual change approach... Let's just wait for the vaccine to work it's magic, shall we?

But a storage of value is valuable.  Speculation that a store of value will gain value should be expected.  Why demonize it?

I do not demonize the bitcoin's store of value function... only the widespread GOLD 2.0 phenomenon.

bigbeninlondon

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 06:54:20 PM

Just to clarify, the poison pill is not designed to destroy the bitcoin use as a viable currency, it will merely target the bitcoin use as a GOLD 2.0 speculative asset. But to answer your question, for me to discuss any of its details now will introduce an abrupt change. Remember, I stand behind the gradual change approach... Let's just wait for the vaccine to work it's magic, shall we?

Hmmm... How about a hint then? 

I do not demonize the bitcoin's store of value function... only the widespread GOLD 2.0 phenomenon.

Can you explain the difference?  To me the main driving factor of "Gold 2.0" phenomenon is bitcoins store of value function.  That's the only real similarity to gold that I see, and (at least to me) apparently the only reason people keep referring to bitcoins as "Gold 2.0".
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2013, 08:44:36 PM

Hmmm... How about a hint then?

You are a miner, right? Spend some BTC to come and visit me in Chicago... Perhaps for a local Bitcoin Meetup that's coming up on June 4th... We can chat privately then.

Can you explain the difference? To me the main driving factor of "Gold 2.0" phenomenon is bitcoins store of value function.  That's the only real similarity to gold that I see, and (at least to me) apparently the only reason people keep referring to bitcoins as "Gold 2.0".

Sure, but in a face-to-face conversation only... There's already a sizable bid wall on Mt.Gox... Don't want for it to crumble, yet.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: