Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:37:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox, Whats the point of an anonymous currency if they want my ID?  (Read 3722 times)
oic0 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:43:28 PM

What is the point of an anonymous currency if they are going to force me to give them a copy of my ID before they will let me cash out? WTF? I have $130 just sitting in there. I mean I could do it... but that defeats the whole principle right?
Also, it was not a requirement when I signed up and I didnt know it was one until I tried to cash out most recently.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:49:23 PM

What is the point of an anonymous currency if they are going to force me to give them a copy of my ID before they will let me cash out? WTF? I have $130 just sitting in there. I mean I could do it... but that defeats the whole principle right?
Also, it was not a requirement when I signed up and I didnt know it was one until I tried to cash out most recently.

If you arnt happy then convert it to BTC and move the BTC to another exchange.

I never had to verify any ID to withdraw such small amounts for over a year, something about your account must have set off alarms if that is the case.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:52:40 PM

BTC can be used anonymously but it's not mandatory. When transferring from USD to bank account, Gox need to comply with KYC international regulation.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86224.0
DingoRabiit

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 05:05:58 PM

I was freaked by this too...
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 05:42:37 PM

Use another exchange or FastCash4Bitcoins
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

Did you by chance access your Mt. Gox account through Tor or from a public access point?  When you sign up to Mt. Gox, the agreement reads:

Please be advised that accessing your account via the Tor network and/or public proxies may result in a temporary suspension of your account, and having to submit AML documents.

Plus, don't confuse bitcoin digital currency with the edges where it interacts with the banking system.

There are plenty of ways to spend your bitcoins, with varying levels of privacy and/or anonymity, without touching the banking system.  But don't expect to be able to use the banking system without coughing up your identity.  Most bitcoin exchanges that interact with the banks are eventually forced to add these  aml/kyc practices.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

blakdawg

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 06:49:11 PM

Unfortunately the "anonymous" nature of BTC is oversold/oversimplified.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 08:16:03 PM

Unfortunately the "anonymous" nature of BTC is oversold/oversimplified.

BTC is anonymous to most extend if you stay within the BTC network. As soon as you start converting to other legal systems then you need to start accepting the terms of those services.

It still doesnt change the fact that BTC itself is extremely anonymous.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 12:24:18 AM

Possibilities :
- You have tainted coins, percentage wise
- You access mtGox from TOR / proxy / VPN
- Your country's IP change, several times in very short timespan

You should contact mtGox's support and solve this problem privately first.

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
blakdawg

Activity: 113

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:35:25 AM

Possibilities :
- You have tainted coins, percentage wise
- You access mtGox from TOR / proxy / VPN
- Your country's IP change, several times in very short timespan

You should contact mtGox's support and solve this problem privately first.

Actually, I appreciate people making issues like this public, because it's a warning to me about situations I might find myself in. It hadn't occurred to me that accessing an exchange through Tor might lead to my funds being frozen, or that there are undisclosed restrictions on withdrawals.

If those are, indeed, MtGox' policies, then it makes no sense to say that this should be "private" - those terms should by all rights be prominently disclosed on their website. If they are, there's certainly no harm in discussing them again. If they're not . . . well, that's not very nice, either.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 07:42:07 AM

http://bitcoin-otc.com hasnt asked for identification once  Smiley

Eiii

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:59:10 PM

US dollars certainly aren't an anonymous currency! There's your problem  Wink
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 10:08:45 PM

Maybe the anonymity aspect is oversold, but come on, what do people think? Is being near bitcoin somehow going to change the nature of dollars and dollar sellers?

I'm sitting here staring at my bitcoin wallet but my mother just walked in and I think she still recognizes me???

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 02:43:00 AM

US dollars certainly aren't an anonymous currency! There's your problem  Wink

+1

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 03:51:57 AM

Maybe the anonymity aspect is oversold, but come on, what do people think? Is being near bitcoin somehow going to change the nature of dollars and dollar sellers?

I'm sitting here staring at my bitcoin wallet but my mother just walked in and I think she still recognizes me???

I can't believe your mother still lives with you. Ask her again when she's moving out?  Grin (sorry, bud, but I couldn't resist)
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:46:56 AM

You're obviously not staring hard enough. My mother says she no longer recognises me since I started using Bitcoin. Grin

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
n4l3hp

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 01:59:03 PM

If you arnt happy then convert it to BTC and move the BTC to another exchange.

I never had to verify any ID to withdraw such small amounts for over a year, something about your account must have set off alarms if that is the case.

My Gox account has been dormant for a long time, last time I used it was before there was any verification needed. I had a small amount left in that account and about more than a month ago, I traded that amount back and forth until I have about 6BTC. The coins I mined and traded are in BTC-E, and I wanted to try investing at GLBSE but I've traded my BTCs for LTCs prior and I was waiting for the LTC/BTC price to go up. So I thought since i'm not earning much with that few BTCs at Gox, I decided to withdraw the coins to start my venture into GLBSE. When I tried to withdraw the BTCs, the page told me that my account is not verified.

I have a static IP, I dont use TOR or any proxies. Maybe because my email was on the list of hacked usernames and passwords (password was changed right after Gox came back online)?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: