Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:38:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-01-16] Random Darknet Shopper seized  (Read 746 times)
ABitNut (OP)

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 12:36:21 AM

So the art project that was randomly buying one item a day on the dark net (using BTC of course) was seized when the exhibition ended. It has apparently got some media attention for buying ecstasy.

Read the article here: http://animalnewyork.com/2015/drug-buying-robot-artwork-seized-swiss-authorities/

Normally I would search before posting, but search not working. Meh.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 12:40:22 AM

Big government at work!  It was an interesting project from a social perspective.  ;-)
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 03:20:20 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2015, 03:37:32 AM by freedomno1

So the art project that was randomly buying one item a day on the dark net (using BTC of course) was seized when the exhibition ended. It has apparently got some media attention for buying ecstasy.

Read the article here: http://animalnewyork.com/2015/drug-buying-robot-artwork-seized-swiss-authorities/

Normally I would search before posting, but search not working. Meh.

Thanks for the share, kind of an unusual press article but an interesting one at that.
One item a day from the darknet for all to see ^^
That's my type of exhibition

--
In addition to the aforementioned bag of 10 ecstasy pills, it also purchased a baseball cap-mounted hidden camera system, a fake Louis Vuitton handbag and a fake Hungarian passport. The exhibition had its full run and the seizure by authorities occurred the day after it closed.
--

At least they were nice enough as authorities to let it run the full duration

--
It recently became the subject of some alarmist articles declaring the arrival of a robo-pocalypse in which bots will be buying drugs and breaking the law and no one will be able to do anything about it. The collective specifically points to a Washington Post article as having raised concerns. That piece framed the Random Darknet Shopper as an example of the “next wave of cybercrime” in which no human culprit could be held responsible.

Can a robot, or a piece of software, be jailed if it commits a crime? Where does legal culpability lie if code is criminal by design or default? What if a robot buys drugs, weapons, or hacking equipment and has them sent to you, and police intercept the package?
--

Roboshoppers using the darknet in the future, oddly enough I can see a gigantic demand for this.
Someone should work on this before the loophole is closed J/K but it is an interesting idea nonetheless about artistic expression among other elements.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: