View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 10:59:01 AM

I am envious!
I have my Raspberry Pi on order to see if I can get MultiBit running from the SD card. It should work.

They are so cheap they have great potential as your savings wallet. Load one up with the keys you want for your savings wallet. Most of the time it sits in your safe/ deposit box/ wherever you keep your valuables. Take it out when you want to top up your 'current account'.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 11:08:34 AM

I use my Raspberry Pi to supply work to my FPGAs and as a backup server Smiley

Nice idea running electrum instead of bitcoin-qt.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 11:25:44 AM

Cheers.

This help page might be useful for you:
http://multibit.org/help_runFromUSBDrive.html

The only other thing is what Java Runtime Environments are available for the Raspberry Pi, which I do not know I must admit.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:08:44 PM

Let me know when one of you built a vending machine or something cool.

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 12:35:02 PM

Let me know when one of you built a vending machine or something cool.

On an off-topic thought. Could this run a PirateBox?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 02:28:21 PM

I'm not sure if it would be possible to run the Qt client due to the high cpu/disk usage during the block chain download, but if someone thinks otherwise let me know.

I used to compile and run the command-line bitcoind on several ARM systems. The slowest of these had 400 MHz CPUs and 128 MB of memory (one of them a Nokia N800). I cannot see any reason why the Pi could not run the full graphical version, as it should not add much CPU/disk load compared to the daemon.

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 04:22:40 PM

I just got my Raspberry Pi yesterday.

I did not actually purchase the power chord with it. Is that something I can buy at Radio Shack or will I need to order it?

I was considering using it as a streaming device for my TV.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
grazcoin

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:23:10 PM

I have bitcoind running on my Raspberry Pi since a week or so.
It didn't take more than few minutes to install archlinuxarm and then install the bitcoin-daemon package.
In order to save time, I copied the blockchain from another server, and it just ran.
Actually, between the arrival time of the Raspberry Pi package and the running bitcoin it was less than 1h.

The daemon does take 70% of the memory, but it works. Even over tor.
I should just mention that I also tried to compile the bitcoin code on the Raspberry Pi (as I didn't feel like setting a cross compile toolchain), but the compilation died due to out of memory.
On the last weekend in bitcoin-hackathon.com in Berlin, I showed it.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:58:18 AM

open to suggestions for software to test or try and run on the Pi, and just any other general thoughts and ideas.

I'ld like to see a Raspberry Pi function purposed as an offline wallet creator:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74615.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 02:04:21 AM

Get enough of these things running and we can have our own DARKNET. Fuck the Internet!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 02:36:00 AM

Would it be possible to make bitcoin nodes using these and some kind of solar charging/discharge circuit? I'm not familiar with the power requirements. That would be pretty damn cool. Then just start installing them in places with weather-proof enclosures, etc...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 02:36:14 AM

Rasberry Pi beowulf cluster ftw  Cheesy

bitlizard

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 02:50:14 AM

is there anyone selling them for bitcoin?

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 12:25:54 PM

To answer my own question the power draw of the current Raspberry Pi is 5 volts at 700mA. There are solar cell panels that exist that can be bought quite easily to perform this task. You'd probably want to build in a rudimentary charging/regulator circuit with a battery to prevent voltage fluctuations screwing things up.

If I get a chance, I'll try it out myself.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
mila

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 11:49:06 PM

hi,
did you also try the full node with raspberry pi?
downloading blockchain and stuff

your ad here:
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 01:39:56 AM

To answer my own question the power draw of the current Raspberry Pi is 5 volts at 700mA. There are solar cell panels that exist that can be bought quite easily to perform this task. You'd probably want to build in a rudimentary charging/regulator circuit with a battery to prevent voltage fluctuations screwing things up.

If I get a chance, I'll try it out myself.

Stirling engines are much more efficient and put out more power than solar cells.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 02:22:24 AM

open to suggestions for software to test or try and run on the Pi, and just any other general thoughts and ideas.

I'ld like to see a Raspberry Pi function purposed as an offline wallet creator:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74615.0
Me too, I've got a Raspberry Pi on order …I want an offline address generator (based on bitaddress.org), however I don't want to print stuff out.  Instead, what I would like is to generate the private key and have it encrypted and displayed on screen as a QR code…then I want to snap a photo of it with my phone for backup purposes (and copy that photo to various online locations for backup).

As a further improvement, I would like a wallet that would sweep a specified amount of coins from an address to a new destination while sending change to a second address (which would be another offline generated wallet).  That would provide a convenient means of taking just a specified amount out of an offline wallet while returning change to a newly generated offline wallet.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 09:17:08 AM

I have a Raspberry PI as well. I actually got it to mine with a handful of Icarus using Archlinux (was far more work than I thought it would be), but I'd rather use it as an offline wallet storage. If someone were to create an offline version of Armory on it, I think I'd be willing to start the bounty at 10 BTC. PM me if anyone starts such a bounty, I'd be willing to contribute if it is relatively easy to use/backup.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 03:30:57 PM

I have a Raspberry PI as well. I actually got it to mine with a handful of Icarus using Archlinux (was far more work than I thought it would be), but I'd rather use it as an offline wallet storage. If someone were to create an offline version of Armory on it, I think I'd be willing to start the bounty at 10 BTC. PM me if anyone starts such a bounty, I'd be willing to contribute if it is relatively easy to use/backup.

Someone just contacted me to let me know he got Armory running offline on the Raspberry Pi.  He emailed to ask if I can get him off the newbie list so he can post:

https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/issues/19

If you can get ahold of him, see if you can get him to post here, then give him the bounty Smiley

Me too, I've got a Raspberry Pi on order …I want an offline address generator (based on bitaddress.org), however I don't want to print stuff out.  Instead, what I would like is to generate the private key and have it encrypted and displayed on screen as a QR code…then I want to snap a photo of it with my phone for backup purposes (and copy that photo to various online locations for backup).

As a further improvement, I would like a wallet that would sweep a specified amount of coins from an address to a new destination while sending change to a second address (which would be another offline generated wallet).  That would provide a convenient means of taking just a specified amount out of an offline wallet while returning change to a newly generated offline wallet.

Steve, you should really look into Armory.  You can do everything you just requested with it, except for the encrypted QR-code thing.  But if you're going to backup the encrypted version online, you might as well just make a copy of the encrypted wallet.  It uses scrypt-based key-strengthening as part of the encryption.  Or grab the rootkey and chaincode, and encrypt it yourself, however you see fit.

As for the second point, I recently added a feature in Armory in Expert-usermode.  It allows you specify your change address for each transaction.  You can either use two recipients -- the recipient + your other offline wallet, and use the "MAX" button to specify your remaining balance to your other wallet after you've entered the recipient.  Or you can specify the recipient only, and use the options on the bottom left to specify the change (which will not necessarily sweep the entire balance, but only send the change from the transaction to the new wallet).

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: