Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:09:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very interesting, a must read.  (Read 1362 times)
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 07:56:19 PM

I just caught it on todays news a few minutes ago from this post.

Combo of gold and tea may effectively treat cancer better than chemo

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/16/combo-gold-and-tea-may-effectively-treat-cancer-better-than-chemo/
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 07:57:53 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/16/combo-gold-and-tea-may-effectively-treat-cancer-better-than-chemo/
So could I get totally shit-faced on goldschlager and tea, and never have to worry about cancer again? Sign me up!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 08:01:17 PM

So could I get totally shit-faced on goldschlager and tea, and never have to worry about cancer again? Sign me up!

I was just posting about goldschlager on btc e chat window. ironic. Small world we live in.
phantitox

Activity: 385

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 08:01:20 PM

as if gold was not expensive enough, if this works, will shoot sky-high prices

pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 08:11:09 PM

Probably would, a ton of cancer patients out there. But it should not be a reason to have it worth more as it is to do good.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:44:07 AM

Probably worth investigating, but a couple studies of 20 mice where 5 or 6 get dropped for vague technical reasons (I am assuming at this point because that is what 80% of these "newsworthy" biomed articles are) doesn't mean much. Someone prove me wrong after reading the actual paper.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:48:01 AM

In Africa, gold dust used to be collected and rubbed on the skin because of its medicinal properties.
bb113

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:01:38 AM

In Africa, gold dust used to be collected and rubbed on the skin because of its medicinal properties.

I'm sure people tried everything. Not saying gold can't be a useful drug somehow... just is there anything people won't try rubbing on themselves when they think they are dying? Gold is pretty inert on its own though (hence goldschlager), here it sounds like they are covalently binding some kind of growth factor mimicking compound to it or something.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:16:26 AM

I'm sure people tried everything. Not saying gold can't be a useful drug somehow... just is there anything people won't try rubbing on themselves when they think they are dying? Gold is pretty inert on its own though (hence goldschlager), here it sounds like they are covalently binding some kind of growth factor mimicking compound to it or something.

All I know is that modern medicine (especially pharmacology) largely exists upon the knowledge of ancient and/or tribal cultures.

Most researchers become aware of the medicinal properties of the active ingredients in most medicines (active ingredients which come from plants) because some guy with a bone through his nose and wearing a straw diaper told them.

Modern researchers learn about the vast majority of medicine from indigenous cultures.  Indigenous cultures are simply more connected with nature and understand it in a more personal way.  It's truly amazing when you realize that some tiny tribe in the Amazon learned that if you combine plant 'x' with plant 'y' it has medicinal effect 'z.'  With over 20,000 plants in the Amazon, think about the probability of this occurring through a trial-and-error process.  It's truly fascinating.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gold medicinal revelation is a product of indigenous knowledge. 
bb113

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:31:12 AM

yea, all we do now is trial and error anyway. Shaving off ~20% of false positives/negatives can't compete with just *[enough people] trying different things for a *[long enough] time period. As time goes on "enough people" and "long enough" should edit:increase, as long as progress is being made.

Jake
Donator

Activity: 256

Happy New Year!

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 07:01:59 AM

Haha, this made me lol so hard. Great movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0gNJ090JA

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: