Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:16:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Done something nice today? Sorry, someone else did that!  (Read 4272 times)
MatthewLM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:00:04 PM

http://didntbuildthat.com/

There appears to be the beginning of a funny new meme on Obama's speech that played down the role individual initiate has in shaping society in attempt to make the government look good. People say Obama was taken out of context. The full passage is nasty though:

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people." Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer? What Obama says is the type of stuff fascists say.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 09:29:55 PM

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people." Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer? What Obama says is the type of stuff fascists say.

Niemivh? You writing Obama's speeches now?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 09:47:54 PM

Fascists, you say? I assume "We stand together" is what fascists say also?

No, that's communists.  Smiley

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 09:51:46 PM

Try a business with no demand Cheesy

Don't use BIPS!
Comepradz

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 10:05:41 PM

Fascists, you say? I assume "We stand together" is what fascists say also?

No, that's communists.  Smiley

Yes. Communism >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism
MatthewLM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 10:35:37 PM

Fascists are much more about "the greater good of the nation".

You may not have created the internet but the website business you own (imagine you do), was built by you. Sure we all benefit from cooperation but your business is still yours and your success is the results of your efforts. The business may take ideas from beforehand and businesses will always have suppliers but successful businesses will always add value and this is due to those that own the business and not the government or "someone else".

I'm currently developing a new bitcoin library/client. I didn't create bitcoin, I didn't create ECDSA, I didn't create TCP/IP, I didn't invent the microprocessor but I am creating something new that I hope will be useful to people and I'm doing it, not the government or "somebody else". Is that a bad thing? Would you rather have zero progress?

Also the fact we all benefit from one another is true in a market economy and this is true even when people are seeking their own fortune as their end (Often told as Adam Smith's invisible hand). We support each other by supporting ourselves.

Obama tries to make it out that we are all responsible for one another which is a stupid idea...I guess that particular idea is more communist than fascist so Obama is both fascist and communist? Tongue
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2012, 10:44:18 PM

I'm currently developing a new bitcoin library/client. I didn't create bitcoin, I didn't create ECDSA, I didn't create TCP/IP, I didn't invent the microprocessor but I am creating something new that I hope will be useful to people and I'm doing it, not the government or "somebody else". Is that a bad thing? Would you rather have zero progress?

In other words, "Yes, I'm standing on the shoulders of giants, but by god, I climbed up there myself!"

MatthewLM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 10:55:42 PM

Think of it like a human pyramid of progress. Every human is vital to the success of the pyramid. If you climb on top with something new, you are personally adding to progress.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 11:00:46 PM

This just seems like misdirection.

1) Are his actions/policies encouraging people to be inventive and productive or not?
2) Lets assume they are, under the powers the government is gaining, what is the likelihood the next "george bush" to get elected can misuse them?

This is just more meaningless propaganda. Does anyone really think they are not building on the work of generations before them? Should we also thank all the warlords and monarchs in the past for paving the way to democracy?

MatthewLM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 01:23:07 PM

This is a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUr8KlV75Ow
nevafuse

Activity: 247

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:27:43 PM

I was wondering where this meme came from.  Definitely taken out of context.  Regardless, what was he even getting at?  His job is to represent me.  If he really wanted to represent me, he'd set up a website where I could vote for myself.  I will never understand why we still vote for people to "represent" us.  No one in the world can represent me.  I'm tired of voting for the best fundraiser, speaker, debater, etc.  Those people aren't qualified to decided anything.

The only reason to limit the block size is to subsidize non-Bitcoin currencies
niemivh

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:35:27 PM

The problem with Obama is that of course almost none of the rhetoric actually gets transmuted into action.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
SpontaneousDisorder

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:41:20 PM

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:01:21 PM

That's why no one should respect the constitution of the United States. It's a bunch of "we the people" fascist
 stuff.  Roll Eyes

Fascism is where the government and business elites rule cooperatively. Does that sound like Obama? You can't have it both ways, except maybe in your own head. You really need to look up definitions folks. In and English dictionary it would say: "Fascist -See republican party."

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 06:12:30 PM

The problem with Obama is that of course almost none of the rhetoric actually gets transmuted into action.

And what "action" do you propose, nationalizing the entire economy?

Bjork

Activity: 457

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 08:22:20 PM

"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people"
"we’re in this together"

well, guess I better leave the country then because this place is going down the shitter

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 08:34:28 PM

"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people"
"we’re in this together"

well, guess I better leave the country then because this place is going down the shitter

There's always leaving without going anywhere else... http://shiresociety.com/

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 09:04:22 PM

That's why no one should respect the constitution of the United States. It's a bunch of "we the people" fascist
 stuff.  Roll Eyes

Fascism is where the government and business elites rule cooperatively. Does that sound like Obama? You can't have it both ways, except maybe in your own head. You really need to look up definitions folks. In and English dictionary it would say: "Fascist -See republican party."

Of course it's fascist, that's why they have giant fasces in both congressional chambers:

I'm grumpy!!
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 09:16:27 PM

Wow...

Ok.  Let's break this down a bit.

See what I did there?  And people have a problem with this...why?

doobadoo

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 09:38:22 PM

I was wondering where this meme came from.  Definitely taken out of context.  Regardless, what was he even getting at?  His job is to represent me.  If he really wanted to represent me, he'd set up a website where I could vote for myself.  I will never understand why we still vote for people to "represent" us.  No one in the world can represent me.  I'm tired of voting for the best fundraiser, speaker, debater, etc.  Those people aren't qualified to decided anything.

And so, with one truth: These people don't and can't represent me, you take your first step...a step toward anarchy!  Enjoy the ride, its one hell of a rabbit hole!

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: