Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:57:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core What backup should I take ?  (Read 825 times)
The Bad Guy (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:17:46 PM

i'am used to electrum or multibit and they have an easy function to save private keys and that's what i usually do
now can anyone tlel me on bitcoin core how and what should I save ? should I save my wallet file only ? i made a backup and saved it on my disk , that's enough , can i get my bitcoins back only with that 88ko file ? ty

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 07:20:42 PM

i'am used to electrum or multibit and they have an easy function to save private keys and that's what i usually do
now can anyone tlel me on bitcoin core how and what should I save ?

the wallet.dat

should I save my wallet file only?

yes

i made a backup and saved it on my disk , that's enough , can i get my bitcoins back only with that 88ko file ? ty

Yes, it will only include the first 100 private keys. For the labels and/or more private keys you have to make another backup. Its best to make regular backups (weekly, montly, etc.) depending on how much you use your wallet.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
The Bad Guy (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:23:52 PM

now can anyone tlel me on bitcoin core how and what should I save ?

the wallet.dat

should I save my wallet file only?

yes

i made a backup and saved it on my disk , that's enough , can i get my bitcoins back only with that 88ko file ? ty

Yes, it will only include the first 100 private keys. For the labels and/or more private keys you have to make another backup. Its best to make regular backups (weekly, montly, etc.) depending on how much you use your wallet.

What the , 100 private keys ? how much private keys do I have exactly , does that means should I make regular backups from time to time ?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2015, 07:28:09 PM

-snip-
What the , 100 private keys ? how much private keys do I have exactly ,

Yes, a new password protected wallet.dat comes with 100 pregenerated private keys. Its not like an electrum seed where all your private keys can be restored from the seed and not like multibit where you have a new file for every new private key.

does that means should I make regular backups from time to time ?

Yes, at least after you have "add" the 101th address. The addresse that belong to the pregenerated private keys are hidden from you until you request a "new" one. When you click the button the wallet software shows you an existing one, thats why you dont have to enter the password to get a new address.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:28:30 PM

Yes. You need to regularly back up your wallet.dat when using bitcoin core. It is not a deterministic wallet like electrum.

The Bad Guy (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2015, 07:30:52 PM

-snip-
What the , 100 private keys ? how much private keys do I have exactly ,

Yes, a new password protected wallet.dat comes with 100 pregenerated private keys. Its not like an electrum seed where all your private keys can be restored from the seed and not like multibit where you have a new file for every new private key.

does that means should I make regular backups from time to time ?

Yes, at least after you have "add" the 101th address. The addresse that belong to the pregenerated private keys are hidden from you until you request a "new" one. When you click the button the wallet software shows you an existing one, thats why you dont have to enter the password to get a new address.

Alright , thanks for your help mate . I only have 2 receiving adresses anyway so I guess it will take long to take another backup
@Blazr thanks to you too .
Closing the thread now since I got what I need for

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: