Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:21:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me recover lost coins  (Read 711 times)
D.Puddy (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:37:25 AM

I am not sure what I did wrong here.  Its kinda strange how I got myself in this position, but I'll try to explain what I did.  I had a virtual machine with two wallet.dat files on it.  I would use one of them and if I wanted to use the other I would rename wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and then rename the other one wallet.dat and then relaunch bitcoin. In that way I could switch between wallets. Probably not the most efficient way, but that is what I was doing.  Anyway, that virtual machine died and I had to spend several hours messing around to get those two wallet files off of it. 

I finally do though and I copy them into another machine that had no coins.  I delete the existing wallet.dat file (that had no coins) and I relaunch the bitcoin client, which generates a new wallet.dat and recieving address.  I copy that address out and put it into a text file.  I close down bitcoin client and then I rename wallet.dat to wallet-new.dat and then rename one of the wallets recovered off of the virtual machine to wallet.dat and launch the client again.  I then send coins from that wallet to the address I copied into text file.  Then I do the same with the other wallet.  When I rename wallet-new.dat back to wallet.dat and launch bitcoin again, there are no coins. 

If I search for my recieving address on blockchain.info it shows my two transactions and it shows no coins leaving the wallet, but my client still shows it as being empty.  I'm worried that I have lost all these coins.  Any ideas on what I should try?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:41:15 AM

I am not sure what I did wrong here.  Its kinda strange how I got myself in this position, but I'll try to explain what I did.  I had a virtual machine with two wallet.dat files on it.  I would use one of them and if I wanted to use the other I would rename wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and then rename the other one wallet.dat and then relaunch bitcoin. In that way I could switch between wallets. Probably not the most efficient way, but that is what I was doing.  Anyway, that virtual machine died and I had to spend several hours messing around to get those two wallet files off of it. 

I finally do though and I copy them into another machine that had no coins.  I delete the existing wallet.dat file (that had no coins) and I relaunch the bitcoin client, which generates a new wallet.dat and recieving address.  I copy that address out and put it into a text file.  I close down bitcoin client and then I rename wallet.dat to wallet-new.dat and then rename one of the wallets recovered off of the virtual machine to wallet.dat and launch the client again.  I then send coins from that wallet to the address I copied into text file.  Then I do the same with the other wallet.  When I rename wallet-new.dat back to wallet.dat and launch bitcoin again, there are no coins. 

If I search for my recieving address on blockchain.info it shows my two transactions and it shows no coins leaving the wallet, but my client still shows it as being empty.  I'm worried that I have lost all these coins.  Any ideas on what I should try?

If blockchain.info shows that the receiving address has the coins, and you have the wallet to that address, your coins is safe. Have your client finish downloading the blockchain yet?
D.Puddy (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:55:58 AM

If blockchain.info shows that the receiving address has the coins, and you have the wallet to that address, your coins is safe. Have your client finish downloading the blockchain yet?

Yes, I have downloaded the entire blockchain.  I dont understand this at all.  Still showing 0.00 coins.  The address is 1C4vYfSeemCbNirvTCkc7qQi4zARjjio6A

Here is the link http://blockchain.info/address/1C4vYfSeemCbNirvTCkc7qQi4zARjjio6A

There is no typo either, I use "copy to clipboard" from inside the client and paste directly into search field at blockchain.info.  I really don't know what to do.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:00:17 AM

Can you post a scrreenshot of your Bitcoin Client? Is there a small green tick at the bottom right corner? Try restarting the bitcoin client too. If everything fails, you can use pywallet at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0 to extract your privatekeys. Alternatively, you can use the 'bitcoind dumpprivkey 1C4vYfSeemCbNirvTCkc7qQi4zARjjio6A' command on CMD at the Bitcoin Client directory (Assuming windows) to get the privatekeys. Import the keys to Blockchain.info's online wallet and send the coins to a new, working wallet.dat.
D.Puddy (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:10:58 AM

Can you post a scrreenshot of your Bitcoin Client? Is there a small green tick at the bottom right corner? Try restarting the bitcoin client too. If everything fails, you can use pywallet at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0 to extract your privatekeys. Alternatively, you can use the 'bitcoind dumpprivkey 1C4vYfSeemCbNirvTCkc7qQi4zARjjio6A' command on CMD at the Bitcoin Client directory (Assuming windows) to get the privatekeys. Import the keys to Blockchain.info's online wallet and send the coins to a new, working wallet.dat.

Thank you for this information.  There is a green tick on the bottom, I have definitely downloaded the entire chain.  I will try your other suggestions and let you know what result I find. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: