Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:04:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ADblock sellouts - READ THIS FOR SOLUTION!  (Read 1553 times)
sickhouse (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:13:18 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2015, 11:06:41 AM by sickhouse

http://gizmodo.com/google-supposedly-paid-off-adblock-plus-to-not-block-go-682029020
Seen it on other sites as well so it's not just google.
ADblock creators are sellouts, I can't blame them though they must make a shitload of money now. But now I need a new addon to block the ads, does anyone know about one? I use FireFox.

EDIT: This one seems to solve it;

Adblock edge is the best one for Firefox.

This has been going on for some time, the original adblock guys wouldn't block "non-intrusive" ads and were always coming up for reasons not to block specific ads. Adblock edge doesn't have this restriction.

Alternative solution in case you want to keep adblock plus instead;

It seems you already found a solution, but I will answer anyway. I use ABP and found the check box by opening the menu-> filter preferences. In the filter subscriptions tab you will find the check box at the bottom of the window.

Turn off the news and read. Watch Psywar, learn something important about our society and PR, why and how it got started and how it brainwashes you.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 10:17:42 PM

I thought ads were sneaking through the fucking sites I was visitng! Especially on bittorrent sites!
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:19:01 PM

There is an update to this:

Update: A person who works with AdBlock Plus wanted to clarify how AdBlock Plus' whitelisting works:

1) Only non-intrusive ads that meet "Acceptable Ads" guidelines (as decided by public forum) can be unblocked; there is no way to 'buy' a whitelisting. The public community has the final decision.
2) Acceptable Ad guidelines are also defined by the community (and not by Adblock Plus) as non-intrusive, text-only ads. Anything else — e.g. video ads, pop-ups, banners, animated ads and others — continue to be blocked.
3) Even the whitelisted ads can still be blocked; users can switch off the Acceptable Ads filter with one click in their Options menu.3

I think you can sleep peacefully.
sickhouse (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:28:17 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2015, 10:48:19 PM by sickhouse

Update: A person who works with AdBlock Plus wanted to clarify how AdBlock Plus' whitelisting works:

1) Only non-intrusive ads that meet "Acceptable Ads" guidelines (as decided by public forum) can be unblocked; there is no way to 'buy' a whitelisting. The public community has the final decision.
2) Acceptable Ad guidelines are also defined by the community (and not by Adblock Plus) as non-intrusive, text-only ads. Anything else — e.g. video ads, pop-ups, banners, animated ads and others — continue to be blocked.
3) Even the whitelisted ads can still be blocked; users can switch off the Acceptable Ads filter with one click in their Options menu.3

Yeah that guy is very wrong because I just had to watch a 30 sec commercial on youtube. Didn't even get to skip it, it's not virus I am afraid off I fucking hate ads.

Turn off the news and read. Watch Psywar, learn something important about our society and PR, why and how it got started and how it brainwashes you.
sickhouse (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:47:23 PM

I thought ads were sneaking through the fucking sites I was visitng! Especially on bittorrent sites!
You can still block them though by right clicking and block banner. But the youtube vids are a pain in the ass.

(oYo)

Activity: 476

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 10:49:14 PM

Thank you, sickhouse, for bringing this to my attention. I unchecked the box that allows some ads to get through. Like you, I HATE ads. Period.  Angry

sickhouse (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 07:54:07 PM

Thank you, sickhouse, for bringing this to my attention. I unchecked the box that allows some ads to get through. Like you, I HATE ads. Period.  Angry
No problems, where is that box located? Did a fast search-through but didn't find anything.

sickhouse (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 07:55:51 PM

Adblock edge is the best one for Firefox.

This has been going on for some time, the original adblock guys wouldn't block "non-intrusive" ads and were always coming up for reasons not to block specific ads. Adblock edge doesn't have this restriction.
Thank you for this! Seems to work like a charm, gonna edit my OP so people can get that one instead.

maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:54:57 PM

Yeah that guy is very wrong because I just had to watch a 30 sec commercial on youtube. Didn't even get to skip it, it's not virus I am afraid off I fucking hate ads.

Why do you watch ads on youtube? There is magic keys combination to get rid of any video adc on youtube. You just press it and ad is gone...
sickhouse (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 08:59:45 PM

Why do you watch ads on youtube? There is magic keys combination to get rid of any video adc on youtube. You just press it and ad is gone...
And what would that combination be? Alt+F4?

(oYo)

Activity: 476

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 02:41:23 AM

No problems, where is that box located? Did a fast search-through but didn't find anything.

It seems you already found a solution, but I will answer anyway. I use ABP and found the check box by opening the menu-> filter preferences. In the filter subscriptions tab you will find the check box at the bottom of the window.

sickhouse (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 11:03:05 AM

Alright, could be good for others to know, gonna add it to OP.

HITTI2

Activity: 563

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 03:45:57 PM

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/adblock-latitude/

Win7x64 Pro, Acer XB240H, Corsair Obsidian 750D Black,DEMCifilter Corsair Obsidian 750D Dust Filter Kit,Delidded i7-3770K OC'd@4.5GHz, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5, ASUS Xonar D1, Vantec UGT-ST644R, ASRock Z75 Pro3, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU, EK-KIT L240, 2 x NF-A14-FLX Fans, 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID 0 32KB strip, WD Re WD1003FBYZ 1TB,2TB HGST/Hitachi (HUA723020ALA641),2 x HGST A7K3000 HUA723030ALA640 3 TB, Vertex II 60GB,Samsung SH-S223L.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: