Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:49:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What prevents Bitcoin going fiat?  (Read 5929 times)
Domrada

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 04:02:57 PM

It pains me to see the word "fiat" used repeatedly this way.  Words have precise meanings.  The word "fiat" means "by government decree". Fiat money is money that is made so by government decree.  It can be paper, gold, bitcoins, notched sticks, or giant stones.  If the government of Finland declares Bitcoin to be their national currency, bitcoins would technically be a fiat currency in Finland.  "Fiat" does not mean representative money, such as notes, checks, or electronic credits. A private bank could hypothetically issue a note without a government decree, and it would still be "worthless paper", but it would not be "fiat".  

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 04:59:09 PM

It pains me to see the word "fiat" used repeatedly this way.  Words have precise meanings.  The word "fiat" means "by government decree". Fiat money is money that is made so by government decree.  It can be paper, gold, bitcoins, notched sticks, or giant stones.  If the government of Finland declares Bitcoin to be their national currency, bitcoins would technically be a fiat currency in Finland.  "Fiat" does not mean representative money, such as notes, checks, or electronic credits. A private bank could hypothetically issue a note without a government decree, and it would still be "worthless paper", but it would not be "fiat".  
I consider 'fiat money' to be money that is *created* by government decree, not merely used by order of government decree. And thus if Finland declared Bitcoin to be their national currency, it would not be fiat money by my definition. Likewise if the US government declared gold and silver coins to be legal tender they would not be fiat money.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Domrada

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 05:04:56 PM

I consider 'fiat money' to be money that is *created* by government decree, not merely used by order of government decree. And thus if Finland declared Bitcoin to be their national currency, it would not be fiat money by my definition. Likewise if the US government declared gold and silver coins to be legal tender they would not be fiat money.

I could accept that definition as well.  What bothers me is when people use the word "fiat" to erroneously describe representative money in abstract, such as money with fractional reserve backing, no backing, or some other construct commonly associated with certain fiat moneys.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: