Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:48:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chart School Business Idea  (Read 539 times)
coryclark0 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 09:28:23 PM

I am new and I was wondering how I have the restrictions lifted. I interested in posting about a security I thinking about offering on GLBSE. Basically, I am interested in starting a charter school. The following email describes the idea, and the following was a response for the Directory of the Wisconsin Charter School Collaboration Network.

I am a graduate student enrolled  in the special education program at Cardinal Stritch. Lately, I have been thinking about innovative models of education. I came up with an idea. It's a little off the wall. But, I wanted to bounce it off of someone. Well, the basic idea is combine school and "the real world"  through project based learning. I thought about combining a school and a coffee shop. Well, the students would receive classroom instruction in core content areas for half of the day. The classes would have themes around subjects that relate to entrepreneurship.   For the second part of the day, the students would be broken up into teams: management, marketing, legal, accounting, workers..... The students would basically run the coffee shop with the guidance of the teachers. The coffee shop would be a self sustaining business attached to the school. It would provide students with work experience and experience running a business. I look at it as a real world place where students would apply what they learned in the classroom. I think the coffee shop would engage the parents and the community because it would  be actually ran by the kids.And, coffees shop are traditionally community gathering places.  The goals of the school would be for kids to leave with a proper  public school education and education and experience in working and running a small business. I think it really be great for at risk and special education kids who can't function well in a traditional school environment. Well, I don't even know if it's possible or practical. But, I wanted to run the idea across someone who is knowledgeable about charter schools. Could you give me a little feedback?

Hi Cory,

First of all, thank you for your email. Most importantly, thank you for thinking about education in such a deep manner.

I love your idea. I think that you have the beginnings of a plan that has the potential to be really successful. The idea would fit under the current charter school guidelines, probably as both a project based learning school and a place-based education model. One of the first things you would need to do is start collaborating with potential stakeholders and other innovators about your idea.

I would be happy to talk further with you about how a charter school idea like yours can become a reality. If you want to call me, please do, and/or if you have specific questions, I would be happy to answer anything you may be wondering about.

It is, truly, people like you who will help change the face of education for our students.
Heather

I can get grants to run the school. But, I need money to hire a planing committee and to pay for the coffee show. I can get a loan from the bang. I am looking for people that might want to back such a project. I have thought about offering shares or bonds on GLBSE. I believe I could return a profit in 3-5 years.  Any advice would be helpful.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: