Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:12:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core Reindexing Blocks On Disk  (Read 7202 times)
SargeR33 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 09:59:33 AM

Hey all,

So I had a motherboard failure yesterday. I swapped out my board and reconnected all my components. All drive letters are in tact, everything else works fine, my other currency wallets work fine but my bitcoin qt core blocks became corrupt.

Now my system is Reindexing Blocks on disk... Why did this happen? Nothing had changed. All my data is in tact, everything is still pointing to the right location and now I'm stuck at 2 years 5 weeks. I'm assuming this is just rearranging the blocks rather than actually downloading, I hope.

Any idea on how to prevent this in the future? If I backup the whole Bitcoin folder to an external hard drive, can I use that in the future as a backup? My wallets are all in tact.

Are there any other lighter wallets I can use where I don't have to have the whole blockchain on this system? My computer is volatile at the moment, this motherboard I'm using now could fail at any moment.

I know there would be lighter wallets but looking for something where I can just dump my wallet.dat file into and get cracking. I have my private keys dumped on hard copy.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 10:30:22 AM

If I were you , I would just download Bootstrap.dat from the torrent given on Bitcoin.org and save it somewhere . each time you have an issue with Blocks , simply delete Blocks folder then put Bootstrap.dat on %appdata%/Bitcoin and It will import blocks from that file then only download the missing files (if there is )
now what concern using another wallet , there is couple of suggestions Multibit & Electrum. I do prefer Electrum because it's easy to recover only using 12 words seed which is good and you don't have to take any backup of any file also it dosen't require downloading the Blockchain file . I hope this helped you .

~ Madness.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2015, 01:15:20 PM

I sense that the computer failure caused an unexpected close/crash of the Bitcoin client. This would leave the blockchain index files in a corrupted or unsyncronized state. When restarting, Bitcoin re-checks the consistency of the last few day's blocks, and the first repair effort is to initiate a reindex if problems are found.

One solution is to use a journaled filesystem such as EXT4 on Linux that can tolerate some unexpected shutdowns and replay or back out incomplete data saves.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 05:24:41 PM

[...]

Are there any other lighter wallets I can use where I don't have to have the whole blockchain on this system? My computer is volatile at the moment, this motherboard I'm using now could fail at any moment.

I know there would be lighter wallets but looking for something where I can just dump my wallet.dat file into and get cracking. I have my private keys dumped on hard copy.

I'm only aware of the wallet.dat dump at blockchain.info. From there you then could do a transaction to a thin client like Multibit or Electrum, if you really must use a light one.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
SargeR33 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:21:44 AM

No need, the full client just finished now. Didn't take very long(about 10hrs all up). What was concerning is why it happened. Was scared I had to redownload the entire blockchain. That was painful.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: