Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:26:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Going through Hell. Help please!  (Read 1266 times)
Smiff (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 10:09:57 PM

What's up Everyone?

I am very new to the bitcoin community and need your help. I successfully purchased bitcoins through Mt. Gox on Sunday June 15. That same day, I made a withdrawal to have those bitcoins transferred to my bit coin wallet (the one downloaded from weusecoins.com). I made absolutly sure that the receiving address was correct during the withdrawal.

Well, three days later, the bit coins are not in my wallet. Mt gox shows that the funds were withdrawn. I am starting to freak out. How long does this usually take? How could I speed up future transfers? Under options on my bit coin wallet, I had the default setting of $0.00 Pay Transaction Fee.

I tried checking my transfer at blockchain.info but I don't really know how to read it.

I would greatly appreciate your help and advice. This is kind of stressful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Smiff (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:35:10 PM

In bit wallet, it shows ~13,677 blocks remaining. It is slowly decreasing. When I hover over the the downloading icon on the bottom right, it shows that it is 92.81% done. Should I keep bit coin wallet open until this is 100% Complete? Should my coins show up then?

Again, any additional information would be extremely helpful and appreciated.
Easy2Mine

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:39:43 PM

Your block chain is not up to date. You will have to leave your computer running for +- 12 hour till the block chain is up to date.
Then you will see your money in your wallet.
You start with a clean installation of the bitcoin client.
Nothing to worry about.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:39:58 PM

Yes.  Your wallet can't "see" received coins until you are up to date.

You can go to blockchain.info

in the search box copy the ADDRESS you sent coins to.  If the transaction with your coins shows up then STOP WORRYING. Smiley

The transaction is part of the bitcoin network, you just need to wait till your wallet is current.  Remember coins aren't sent to your particular wallet they are broadcast on the network.  Your wallet simply has the private keys which allow YOU and only you to spend those coins.  If the coins show up on blockchain.info you are fine.   Now would be a good time to make a secure backup of your wallet.dat file (if the private keys are lost the coins are lost forever - no recovery possible under any circumstances)

Easy2Mine

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 11:55:05 PM

A friendly advice.
Read the threads how to secure your wallet.
Learn how to use different passwords and usernames on different sites related to bitcoins and how to remember them.
If you have pay attention in primary school, you should be able to use memory tricks, most people already forgot how to use them.
Learn how to use VMWARE or another virtual machine to keep your computer clean from viruses.
We are talking about serious money.
Some people are trustable, but most of them will scam you or fool you to get some coins.
Read the forum to protect yourself

Smiff (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 12:35:38 AM

I thank all of you for your advice. Shout out to everyone. I will update on this post tomorrow and let you guys know. Crossing my fingers. Hopefully I will be dancing with happiness.

BTW, what is your guys preferred method for funding MT Gox? I used BitInstant but it was kind of a pain giving cash to a grocery store. I had to get on a phone with Moneygram which took a while. I think I will try WalMart next time. But your advice is much appreciated.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 12:57:42 AM

I thank all of you for your advice. Shout out to everyone. I will update on this post tomorrow and let you guys know. Crossing my fingers. Hopefully I will be dancing with happiness.

BTW, what is your guys preferred method for funding MT Gox? I used BitInstant but it was kind of a pain giving cash to a grocery store. I had to get on a phone with Moneygram which took a while. I think I will try WalMart next time. But your advice is much appreciated.

BitInstant is great of course, but if you use their bank cash deposit (instead of 7/11 or walmart) the process is easier. You don't need an account at the bank, just go and give them the cash and the deposit slip. No phone calls needed.
Smiff (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:00:27 AM

One more thing (I know- sorry), when the block chain is done, will I need to restart Bitcoin Wallet or will the coins show up automatically with the software still running?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:01:17 AM

One more thing (I know- sorry), when the block chain is done, will I need to restart Bitcoin Wallet or will the coins show up automatically with the software still running?

They will show up automatically.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:11:09 AM

Here's another tip: search the Project Development subforum for "Electrum." This is a client that doesn't require downloading any blocks. This whole business of downloading blocks is archaic IMO.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:14:38 AM

Here's another tip: search the Project Development subforum for "Electrum." This is a client that doesn't require downloading any blocks. This whole business of downloading blocks is archaic IMO.

download a lightweight wallet like multibit and  there is no need to download the entire blockchain
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:34:15 AM

Archaic? I don't think the concept of blockchains have been around long enough for anything related to be considered archaic. Doesn't someone have to do it anyway?

Don't use BIPS!
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:57:40 AM

Archaic? I don't think the concept of blockchains have been around long enough for anything related to be considered archaic. Doesn't someone have to do it anyway?

Well of course somebody has to do it, but not everyone does. As to whether it's technically "archaic" to do it yourself or not, I don't care. The point is that its much easier not to have to deal with it. The OP could have been up and running after less than a minute of syncing with a server with Electrum (and I assume something similarly easy with multibit) rather than waiting for hours while downloading the whole block chain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: