Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:39:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitShares Loves Puppies  (Read 23157 times)
StanLarimer (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:55:55 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 12:37:38 AM by StanLarimer

Our marketing guys got on my case today.

"Why do you keep posting to that thread with the negative headline?", they asked.

"Because that's where my favorite troll hangs out", I said.  
"He brings in all kinds of eyeballs with his whacky graphics!"

"Yeah, well, it doesn't look good.  Can't you move to a thread with a more positive headline?", they grumbled.

"But nobody will stop by without some gratuitous controversy", I pleaded.
"His negative thread is where all the eyeballs will be!  There's been nearly over 7000 views on that one thread alone!"

"Don't worry", they assured me, "Your troll will move to the new thread if that's the only place you post."
"Then you can have the best of both worlds!  A warm, fuzzy headline and lots of great troll droppings!"

I'm still a bit skeptical, but I promised them I would give it a try.  So here goes.

BitShares Loves Puppies!

These are actual Great Pyrenees puppies raised by BitShares Founder Dan "Bytemaster" Larimer.

Stay tuned to this thread for periodic updates about what we're doing at BitShares.
(Historically we've been criticized for sticking mostly to BitSharestalk.org Forum.)
But as you can see, we've recently started working hard to bring more useful content here.  Hope you like it!

Stan Larimer
BitShares Delegate
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 06:57:15 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2015, 12:02:18 PM by StanLarimer

I'll use this spot to post useful links and try to keep them up to date.

Our main website is bitshares.org.

Bytemaster takes live questions from a worldwide on-line audience every Friday at 10 Eastern Time (UTC+5) here:
Talk With Bytemaster

Media Point of Contact!

Max Wright, the author of Bitshares101 and the host on BitShares.tv,
has agreed to be a contact person for media contact/inquiries.
You could forward his contact info to them:

max@bitshares.org

You can learn more by downloading Max Wright's in-depth BitShares 101 ebook or watching Max's great interviews on BitShares.TV.
There's are links to both on Bytemaster's Blog

chapter 6 and 7 both have updates.

they can be found at

www.bitshares.tv/chapter6
www.bitshares.tv/chapter7

They contain videos which are also helpful.

Max Wright's #1 best-selling book is now available in video form.

BitShares 101 the Movie

If you can only watch one video, start with Max's Chapter 3 in the above series.  Awesome.

There's a nice set of wallet tutorials here:  BitShares Wallet Tutorial Videos

Check out Music and PLAY for their specific software releases.

You can find out about the other independent DACs at their own websites
as featured in this newsletter in our Newsletter Archive  

There's lots of folks happy to answer other questions at
bitsharestalk.org

Here's a series of articles I wrote for this forum to provide some background on The Origin of BitShares:

Part 1   - It Began with ProtoShares
Part 2   - The Death of Mining
Part 3   - The Ideal Mining Pool
Part 4   - AngelShares and Virtual Mining
Part 5   - POW to POS to TaPOS to DPOS!
Part 6   - Sharedrops and Snapshots
Part 7   - BitShares Sharedrop Theory
Part 8   - Experimenting and Pivoting
Part 9   - What is a SuperDAC?
Part 10 - BitShares Unleashed

Here's a nice set of tutorial videos
Riverhead plans many more, so check back here periodically.

http://whatisbitusd.com/tutorials/

Another great source of info on BitShares - Google's BitShares Community

And here is another site chock full of BitShares news:  http://bitsharesblog.com/beyond-bitcoin-show-talks-with-bytemaster-about-bitshares-development/

Finally, here is a nice product brochure that you can download and print...

English flyer in A4 print size (front):
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1T3mDxaa7U0IOaD251yNwNiqI_9Fier7QgtnBm3hCzyI/edit

English flyer in A4 print size (back):
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/10mf7scN4ldCoXy8alz7UCkzt7N3tTQwJWS81zXfNMxs/edit

Troll Chest

Finally, lest they be lost forever, we add links to our favorite troll graveyard.
In addition to some outrageous (even funny) troll FUD, these contain some serious discussions among the foul droppings.

Communist BitShares Wealth Redistribution is Theft
BitShares? interesting ! bullish
Even though BTS devs are greedy, it's still better tech than NXT and NuBits
Is BitShares a Blog or a Bitcoin 2.0 project?
Nubits vs Bitshares vs Bitbay
BitShares is Dead
Where are those Bitshares' Shills?
JOIN OR DIE! United We Stand... Divided We Fall!
BitShares Greed
More BitShares Greed
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 08:21:21 PM

One of the biggest strengths of BitShares, DAC is that it is able to autonomously hire its own developers and marketeers by automatically recycling a few percent of its growth to pay their salaries - without involving any corruptible manned company.  This is an often overlooked form of decentralization you don't find in many leading blockchains.

Of course, this leads to worries about whether delegates are earning their pay, so we encourage them to give periodic reports to the stakeholder community who elect and fire them.

I like to highlight delegates who are doing a particularly good job of implementing this "Hired by the Blockchain" vision.  Here is this week's admirable example of what having up to 101 paid delegate slots can do for a chain:

EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 09:56:24 PM

Hmmmm......think your marketing boyz should recognise that your 'favourite troll' is actually responsible for raising BTS' profile on BitCoinTalk in the last few weeks.
And, as the old saying goes, theres no such thing as bad publicity.  Not to mention that he may have a valid point or two......

Anyhow, all this is completely moot, because now that Stan has come out in favour of puppies for BTS, I have an announcement to make:

NXT! We love kittens more !

OK. NXT wins. Obviously.

Hmm, that seemed almost too easy.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
nomoreheroes7

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

King of all the land

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 10:27:36 PM

This is the best thread ever.

Who doesn't love puppies???

I'm officially all in BTS. How can you resist that face??

Sorry NXT, kittens just ain't doing it for me...
Daedelus

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 10:43:36 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 11:17:01 PM by Daedelus

Hss the flaw improved security in Bitshares Come from Beyond suggested been fixed implemented? It only took 22 colluding nodes to bork the chain, according to his modelling.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:07:47 PM

Hss the flaw in Bitshares Come from Beyond found been fixed? It only taked 22 colluding nodes to bork the chain, according to his modelling.

That was not a flaw. Just some suggestions how to improve security, if I recall correctly.

Daedelus

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 11:14:56 PM

Cunicula returns?

Post edited.
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:32:26 AM

There is no such thing as bad publicity and people are more likely to read through a thread calling Bitshares a scam than something bland and informative.

Hell, I learned a lot about Bitshares through that thread and thought the meme's were pretty funny

Just for kicks, here is another meme for you which represents Bitshares as a Cryptocurrency

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:54:14 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 01:18:12 AM by StanLarimer

Now THAT is a more civilized competition!

And now a word from our sponsor:

Bytemaster just published some insights about how the BitShares Decentralized Exchange deals with front running.

Front running happens when a broker executes his own orders prior to executing the orders of his customers. This can be extremely profitable to the broker which can buy a stock just before a large buy order pushes the price up and then sell the stock just before a large sell order pushes the price down. This can occur any time one market participant has the ability to see orders from other participants and insert new orders in front of them. BitShares has an open order book and all transactions are broadcast for all to see with up to 10 seconds notice. This means that anyone can see your order and change their order to maximize their own profit. To protect users BitShares uses a you get what you asked for (YGWYAF) market engine that produces the same result for the market participants as perfect front running. This article explains why.

Read the rest here...  How BitShares Prevents Front Running

We now resume our regularly scheduled pet tournament...

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 01:23:26 AM

Hss the flaw in Bitshares Come from Beyond found been fixed? It only taked 22 colluding nodes to bork the chain, according to his modelling.

That was not a flaw. Just some suggestions how to improve security, if I recall correctly.

That's an amazing creature. 
Definitely innovative. 
What exactly is it?

lucky88888

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

https://nxtforum.org/

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:33:29 AM

Definitely innovative. 
What exactly is it?

That is BCNext's true experiment! Half Cat half dog. To bring the dog and the cat loving community together!

Fuck Mt.Gox! Fuck Mintpal! Fuck Bter! FUCK kyc! Protect yourself use MGW! SUPERNET!
Recommended ASSET ->InstantDex : Lead Dev Jl777 (decentralized multi currency instant exchange)
Recommended ASSET -> Jinn : Lead Dev Come-from-Beyond (ternary processors!)
https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/(ann)-jinn/
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:33:13 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 04:44:49 AM by StanLarimer

Definitely innovative.  
What exactly is it?

That is BCNext's true experiment! Half Cat half dog. To bring the dog and the cat loving community together!

Looks like an innovative, stabilized Derivative to me!  Smiley

(But you should say "Half Dog and Half Cat",  never say "Half Cat and Half Dog",  Always say "Half Dog and Half Cat")

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 08:40:20 AM

What exactly is it?

No idea. Maybe an old master of kung fu...
Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:58:21 PM

Definitely innovative.  
What exactly is it?

Looks like an innovative, stabilized Derivative to me!  Smiley

(But you should say "Half Dog and Half Cat",  never say "Half Cat and Half Dog",  Always say "Half Dog and Half Cat")

OH MY GOD!! BITSHARES AND NXT ARE MERGING!!!!!
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 02:09:16 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 07:13:14 PM by StanLarimer

This just out - integration with ShapeShift!  (I think that's a fox, not a cat, in their logo.)

What's cool about this is you can move your BTC to BitUSD in about 60 seconds and bring them back to BTC when you want to spend them.

Why would you want to do this?

Well, while it's in your BitUSD "Savings Account", you earn variable interest (generally at least 1% right now) and you are insulated from drops in BTC price.  Bring it back to your Bitcoin "Checking Account" when you want to make a payment.  (Or send it directly as BitUSD to someone with a BitShares wallet in just 10 seconds.)  

Conversion among other currencies and BitAssets is coming soon.

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:05:00 PM

You can see this at https://shapeshift.io/

This is brilliant,  +5%

I just tested with BTS to bitUSD just for fun: sent 1000 BTS, got ~10 bitUSD back in the next block. Pure awesomeness Smiley

Now if they can add bitEURO and bitCNY as well, maybe even bitGOLD, then they'll have a full pseudo-fiat <=> BTC service Smiley

Anyone know what their depsit limits depend on? Will they get increased with time?

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:44:23 PM

Smart Wallets and Instant Exchanges

Great video Max Wright interviews ShapeShift's head of operations about this whole new genre of "instant exchanges"

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:58:21 PM

At the tail end of Max's video mentioned above, he gives a nice little tour of the bitAsset page at bitsharesblocks.com

Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:37:01 PM

This just out - integration with ShapeShift!  (I think that's a fox, not a cat, in their logo.)

What's cool about this is you can move your BTC to BitUSD in about 60 seconds and bring them back to BTC when you want to spend them.

Why would you want to do this?

Well, while it's in your BitUSD "Savings Account", you earn variable interest (generally at least 1% right now) and you are insulated from drops in BTC price.  Bring it back to your Bitcoin "Checking Account" when you want to make a payment.  (Or send it directly as BitUSD to someone with a BitShares wallet in just 10 seconds.)  

Conversion among other currencies and BitAssets is coming soon.

So hot

Your missing a link to the website and people are pretty lazy to go and google it.

You guys should work on some games to add, big investors and a forum full of rocket scientists are great but surely you are missing out on the massive amount of noobs. DogeCoin doesn't have the tech but they do have a fun community which keeps people around and arguably some of the best marketing around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: