Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:17:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Fee's too high? Lightning Network Will Resolve that?  (Read 269 times)
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:29:33 PM

the problem people are complaining about = low-value and consumer payments. in that case, do you really need your bitcoins back? cold storage for long term holding, lightning for short term spending. what's the problem?

and your coins aren't "on loan" when they are locked in a payment channel. they are time-locked. similarly, you can time-lock your BTC right now, making them unspendable on the network until a specific block number has passed.

i'm not convinced the topography is hub-and-spoke. but even if it is, that's more of privacy issue (all transactions processed by centralized entities) than a trust issue. it's still trustless.

How long that coffee shop that you go to gonna wait for thei actual btc and not iou’s?

How long your employee gonna wait for their paycheck of actual btc and not the iou’s?

How long are you gonna let the person from Craigslist take your item your selling with his iou?

they aren't IOUs if they are fungible with bitcoins. anyone who is willing to pay the on-chain transaction cost to close a channel can remove BTC from the time-lock. if anything, it's easier to spend bitcoins you receive in LN. why wouldn't anyone accept them? if they are interested in paying lower fees, they'll use LN.

For peer-2hub-2 peer probably work pretty good. If that hub gets shut down by a government, there goes your btc you had in the channel.

that's not true. if they get shut down by the government and can't voluntarily close channels, channels have their own timelocks and all BTC is eventually spendable.

If that hub charges high fees? There’s goes low fees.

anyone can run an LN node. there is a fee incentive to do so. why would one entity be able to charge high fees when there is competition?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jason.morgan5 (OP)

Activity: 282
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 12:11:11 AM

Hi,
Bitcoin fees are becoming too high, will Lightning Network lower the cost of the transactions?
How will it be implemented?

You are in luck you found the right man who can point you in the right direction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHFrf5ci_g

Don't forget to have your coins on the block so you can profit from the Segwit2x fork on the 28th
and pay no attention to miners posting here that know that the jig is just about up.

Viva le Market

Yes, i already have my coins on the block lol. Thank you for that video!
fatalbert

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 01:17:55 AM

the problem people are complaining about = low-value and consumer payments. in that case, do you really need your bitcoins back? cold storage for long term holding, lightning for short term spending. what's the problem?

and your coins aren't "on loan" when they are locked in a payment channel. they are time-locked. similarly, you can time-lock your BTC right now, making them unspendable on the network until a specific block number has passed.

i'm not convinced the topography is hub-and-spoke. but even if it is, that's more of privacy issue (all transactions processed by centralized entities) than a trust issue. it's still trustless.

How long that coffee shop that you go to gonna wait for thei actual btc and not iou’s?

How long your employee gonna wait for their paycheck of actual btc and not the iou’s?

How long are you gonna let the person from Craigslist take your item your selling with his iou?

they aren't IOUs if they are fungible with bitcoins. anyone who is willing to pay the on-chain transaction cost to close a channel can remove BTC from the time-lock. if anything, it's easier to spend bitcoins you receive in LN. why wouldn't anyone accept them? if they are interested in paying lower fees, they'll use LN.

For peer-2hub-2 peer probably work pretty good. If that hub gets shut down by a government, there goes your btc you had in the channel.

that's not true. if they get shut down by the government and can't voluntarily close channels, channels have their own timelocks and all BTC is eventually spendable.

If that hub charges high fees? There’s goes low fees.

anyone can run an LN node. there is a fee incentive to do so. why would one entity be able to charge high fees when there is competition?

You are right about the hub/Gov. You can close channel and goes back to the blockchain to record latest iou records.

That’s still centralized though. No longer peer-2-peer.

And biggest question. The person receiving btc in the channel. Say 1 way channel, how long average sandwich shop owned by mom and pop gonna extend you credit? (Meaning you took meat and bread from them, they were paid in an iou they can do absolutely nothing with until channel closed.

If it were my biz. I’d raise my fees for btc by $20 a sandwich, open channel, customer would think channel open forever (or until btc balance gone) but soon as they leave. I’m closing the channel. So as the sandwich shop, cost me $10 close channel. For customer, they need wait 3 hours for channel open, pay $10 for the blockchain “open channel” then when I close it, they need to repeat.
jason.morgan5 (OP)

Activity: 282

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 06:49:49 PM

Looking to hear more opinions!  Smiley
mworker

Activity: 630

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:01:59 PM

I think this is a normal situation. But if there was a set of statutory stabilization. I think it would have been better. However, we want Bitcoin to progress further in the future. Let's come
loreRex

Activity: 279
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:06:58 PM

Yes, fees will go down since you can sum multiple transactions into a single one. For instance you could buy 30 times from a seller that you trust in BTC, and only then broadcast the transactions on the blockchain.

For more info:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Lightning_Network
Sleek0114

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 04:36:33 AM

i got scammed i learn about btc and this forum so i'm still surviving.
BTCbengi

Activity: 241

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 05:01:12 AM

Because Bitcoin's prices are rising steadily, the increase in fees will allow transactions to be more stable and safer. So if you do not want high fees, your transactions will become slow or may get stuck, I really do not want this.

sarfwr

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 05:42:19 AM

Hi,

Bitcoin fees are becoming too high, will Lightning Network lower the cost of the transactions?

If the flash network can solve the problem of block congestion, I personally feel that it will rise to $50,000.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 05:59:57 AM

actually i think it is impossible to predict.

because Lightning Network will also need to be used in order to be effective. something like SegWit. and if it is not used then it can't do anything!

additionally the on chain transactions won't just go away, there will still be a lot of transactions in the 1 MB blocks and also with the ever increasing demand they will also increase in number. which means higher fees.

There is a FOMO brewing...
nioctiB#1

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 06:09:24 AM

Hi,

We still dont know if thats going to happen but what i think will happen if lightning network gets implemented is transacting bitcoin will be more faster and there is a big chance that unconfirmed transactions will be reduced or even gets confirmed immediately and if that happens transactions fees will be lowered. but the real question here is. exchanges and wallets will they support it right away after lightning network gets implemented? i dont think so.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: