Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:25:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin channel irc.lfnet.org  (Read 2657 times)
timeshareafrica (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 09:32:57 AM

Some more stupid questions:

It says here: Bitcoin is administered through a decentralized peer-to-peer network. Now on the other hand side I read that most Bitcoin nodes are constantly connected to this channel ( irc.lfnet.org) while running. So this means actually the client is not a decentralized peer-to-peer network.
Hence my questions:

1. Is it possible the client is connecting to a dedicated server without someone knowing?
2. Is it possible even the client is "open source" there are some hidden programms running in the background?
3. It it possible there is a central point like (irc.lfnet.org) where all information (transactions etc. ) are collected and analysed ?

Thanks
Please dont reply to this question if you get angry about stupid questions....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 05:23:30 PM

This was removed awhile ago, bitcoin-qt and bitcoind doesn't use IRC to find peers.
timeshareafrica (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 07:18:18 PM

I see, thanks
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:53:15 AM

I really hate to blow the dust off this older than dirt thread but I have a question that pertains to the topic.

Why was this implementation removed? Was it because it made bitcoin more centralized?

Another question, considering this was implemented into another coin, you could potentially get the ip of all people currently on the network either mining or wallet open by decoding the nicks?

The only reason I ask this question is the possible implementation of this feature in a coin that would be able to map out all users on the network.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:04:56 AM

Why was this implementation removed? Was it because it made bitcoin more centralized?

Yes if the irc channel went down, it would take peer discovery down as well.

Another question, considering this was implemented into another coin, you could potentially get the ip of all people currently on the network either mining or wallet open by decoding the nicks?

I forgot how the implementation worked, but yes in theory.

The only reason I ask this question is the possible implementation of this feature in a coin that would be able to map out all users on the network.

Yes you could, but even with the current peer discovery you can map most of the nodes on the network.
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:21:12 AM

First I would like to thank you for actually replying, I see you were the one who initially answered the OP and its been more than 2 years since this was first opened.

Yes if the irc channel went down, it would take peer discovery down as well.

So this question isn't just a question for the sake of general knowledge but for utilization. A little background. There is a Geospatial related coin that is set to implement GEO related features. One of the features that would be nice to impliment would be the mapping of all users by city, state, country and what not. I am not the dev but an in the GEO field and would like to help as much as possible, even if the coin becomes a flop, the idea can still be dedicated elsewhere.

Can the operation of peer discover be split between the 2 operations? If one went down there would always be current discovery.

Yes you could, but even with the current peer discovery you can map most of the nodes on the network.

Current Peer discovery seems to only map out nodes but not individual ips interacting. If there is another way to pull the information that is much more than nodes, do you know a way?
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:46:11 PM

Can the operation of peer discover be split between the 2 operations? If one went down there would always be current discovery.

Or can just use the current peer discovery, and setup a website, which nodes hit on startup and on shutdown. If you just want to track nodes.

Current Peer discovery seems to only map out nodes but not individual ips interacting. If there is another way to pull the information that is much more than nodes, do you know a way?

You would be better off writing a crawler to do that. Then relaying on the bitcoin-core to do it, but you can pull ips in bitcoin-core as well.

Code:
getpeerinfo

will return information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: