Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:18:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is litecoin a good idea?  (Read 3267 times)
mystery2048 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 06:29:20 AM

I am just wondering what your opinion is?

Important: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92424.0;all

Donations: 1HWMQv2VYviAgpy6NWNvVg9JhKm4zcMGS5

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 06:40:34 AM

It better be because I'm mining them!

I think so. The differences between bitcoin are not adverse. Basically there is more of them and the transactions are faster. I think that over time it will help keep mining in equilibrium some how. I just wish there were more services/sites for litecoin, at least something equivalent to bitcoincharts.com.

Don't use BIPS!
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 06:47:33 AM

It better be because I'm mining them!

I think so. The differences between bitcoin are not adverse. Basically there is more of them and the transactions are faster. I think that over time it will help keep mining in equilibrium some how. I just wish there were more services/sites for litecoin, at least something equivalent to bitcoincharts.com.

So ....more "services" to support speculation? LOL

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:33:09 AM

What gives money value?

If you accept money against your work, it's because you're sure that someone else will, later, accept your money for his work. So the more people use a money, the more valuable this money is. That's why, throughout history, silver and especially gold have been the universal currencies, the most valuable ones. Even if there is platinum or other precious metal out there. The only reason we have local currencies is because local governments impose them.

OK what's my point? My point is, even if litecoin was a little better than bitcoin, it will fail as a cryptocurrency. Because the one feature that people will seek in a cryptocurrency is its intrinsic value, ie how many people  use it.

And for those people who want to be the early adopters that will get rich with litecoin, don't worry, even with bitcoin you're still an early adopter Smiley
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:29:16 AM

Our society needs a cryptocoin and we shouldn't rely completely on Bitcoin. Litecoin "backups" Bitcoin's functionality, so it's a realy good idea.
coin_toss

Activity: 117

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 12:25:15 PM

Litecoin is a good idea. I support it for the same reasons i support bitcoin. All it needs is a strong mining network holding it up, and obviously some more services, and I can see it being very successful and useful to this community. Providing an alternative application for GPU's is one such use, but there are many others.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:35:34 PM

It seems that LTC is hardware dependent on a CPU and memory. It is also expensive in electricity. If LTC were to reach a large audience, it would not be able to keep up with the transaction verification because there is no incentive to run CPUs to support the network.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 02:25:01 PM

obviously it is  Grin
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 02:26:51 PM

Out of the alternatives to BTC, LTC maybe has the best shot, but that's not saying a whole lot. Once ASICs arrive, I may give LTC mining a go with my GPU rigs and see if it catches on. If enough people do the same, it might actually catch on.
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 03:13:21 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2012, 03:40:47 PM by VelvetLeaf

Out of the alternatives to BTC, LTC maybe has the best shot, but that's not saying a whole lot. Once ASICs arrive, I may give LTC mining a go with my GPU rigs and see if it catches on. If enough people do the same, it might actually catch on.

Won't that be too late if you switch at October ?
You won't get as many litecoin if you mine it later, as difficulty keep increasing every few days.
After GPUs users move in, difficulty changed from 1 to 6.6 now.
Imagine the difficulty change in October if most of GPU user move to litecoin.

The total Litecoin network is ~200 MH/s, since scrypt is 1/1000's bitcoin speed, that is equal to 200 GH/s or 0.2 TH/s in bitcoin world.
Total bitcoin network now is 13.3 TH/s.
So roughly only 1.5% hash power move from bitcoin to litecoin now.

Let's say that 30% of 13.3 TH/s is from GPU user, and only 65% will move to litecoin because it's not feasible anymore to mine bitcoin.
30% * 13.3 * 65% = 2.5935 TH/s
After applying 1/1000 multiplier, that's equal to 2.5935 GH/s

Current litecoin network is 0.2 GH/s
If the network speed grows from 0.2 to 2.7 GH/s, the difficulty won't be 6 anymore and less coin will be generated per kH/s.

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 05:58:41 PM

What gives money value?

If you accept money against your work, it's because you're sure that someone else will, later, accept your money for his work. So the more people use a money, the more valuable this money is. That's why, throughout history, silver and especially gold have been the universal currencies, the most valuable ones. Even if there is platinum or other precious metal out there. The only reason we have local currencies is because local governments impose them.

OK what's my point? My point is, even if litecoin was a little better than bitcoin, it will fail as a cryptocurrency. Because the one feature that people will seek in a cryptocurrency is its intrinsic value, ie how many people  use it.

And for those people who want to be the early adopters that will get rich with litecoin, don't worry, even with bitcoin you're still an early adopter Smiley

Nothing you said rules out litecoin. It's not about being better than bitcoin, it's just an alternative. It's still relatively new and has plenty of time to grow.

Don't use BIPS!
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 06:02:12 PM

You won't get as many litecoin if you mine it later, as difficulty keep increasing every few days.

The total Litecoin network is ~200 MH/s, since scrypt is 1/1000's bitcoin speed, that is equal to 200 GH/s or 0.2 TH/s in bitcoin world.

Let's say that 30% of 13.3 TH/s is from GPU user, and only 65% will move to litecoin because it's not feasible anymore to mine bitcoin.

If the network speed grows from 0.2 to 2.7 GH/s, the difficulty won't be 6 anymore and less coin will be generated per kH/s.

I think it's an interesting strategy to mine LTC now rather than waiting till October, and it could well be the most profitable one. But for me it also means that I stop mining BTC now (or at least mine less), and I don't want to do that. So I'm probably going to keep mining BTC until ASICs hit, then switch to LTC and see how it goes. But I may change my mind on this. For example, if we can raise the bounty and get a LTC version of CGminer

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92887.0      <=====Shameless plug: please consider donating!

then I might start sooner rather than later.  Smiley
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 08:34:53 AM

I think it's an interesting strategy to mine LTC now rather than waiting till October, and it could well be the most profitable one. But for me it also means that I stop mining BTC now (or at least mine less), and I don't want to do that. So I'm probably going to keep mining BTC until ASICs hit, then switch to LTC and see how it goes. But I may change my mind on this. For example, if we can raise the bounty and get a LTC version of CGminer

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92887.0      <=====Shameless plug: please consider donating!

then I might start sooner rather than later.  Smiley

Don't even bother anymore. You are way too late already.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:09:42 PM

No, it's not a good idea. It doesn't solve anything BitCoin hasn't already solved.

The often stated argument that it lets you buy small things faster appears to be nonsense. Merchants can sell cups of coffee or burgers without any confirms just like they now take cash without performing extensive analysis on each note. No-one is going to 51% attack BitCoin to steal a happy meal.

If LiteCoin is to be a success it has to not just compete with BitCoin but soundly beat it. The world doesn't need or want two basically identical cryptocurrencies.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:37:11 PM

What gives money value?

Nothing you said rules out litecoin..

Yes it does, that's kind of my whole point.

Do you know any popular auction website beside ebay? Neither do I. Because an auction website is a winner take it all "product". As is a currency, for the reasons I stated above.

No, it's not a good idea. It doesn't solve anything BitCoin hasn't already solved.

The often stated argument that it lets you buy small things faster appears to be nonsense. Merchants can sell cups of coffee or burgers without any confirms just like they now take cash without performing extensive analysis on each note. No-one is going to 51% attack BitCoin to steal a happy meal.

If LiteCoin is to be a success it has to not just compete with BitCoin but soundly beat it. The world doesn't need or want two basically identical cryptocurrencies.

+1
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 01:09:22 PM

Ooooooh, by the emotional response LTC gets in this thread I think it has already hit a nerve. Obviously people are so convinced of BTC that it won't hurt it to have some competition.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:11:09 PM

Litecoin is the Christian rock of crypcoins. I'm sure there are people who believe in it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 02:19:30 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2012, 07:48:04 PM by markm

I am not sure what is up with LiTeCoins, my Open Transactions server has supported them for a long time already, with the ability to trade them directly for any other supported asset type, but there are no LiTeCoins in play there whatsoever. So from there LiteCoin seems more dead than NaMeCoin, I0Coin and IXCoin all of which have a thousand to twenty thousand or so of their coins on the server.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 05:53:32 PM

Litecoin can act as a backup of Bitcoin!  ;-)
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:01:23 PM

Litecoin is the Christian rock of crypcoins. I'm sure there are people who believe in it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

That's a fun way to put it! Haha.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: