Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:32:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How are local meetups going?  (Read 999 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 03:08:07 PM

I'm just wondering what local groups are doing for community outreach. Are new people joining?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 03:32:48 PM

We still need one in Houston, TX

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:26:15 PM

I'm just wondering what local groups are doing for community outreach. Are new people joining?
Since the beginning of our local Bitcoin group here in Vienna, "Bitcoin Austria", we had a total of 12 meetings with about 8-15 people each. The core group meets more often to work on various projects and although we don't do much advertising, we continuously have an influx of new people: about 1-2 new people show up on every meeting.
Over time the knowledge gap within the audience widened and it became somewhat difficult to keep it interesting for everybody. We are now trying to split the meetings in two parts and start with an introductory talk about Bitcoin which is actively advertised to newcomers and the main part where more advanced discussions are planned.

One of our major task is to reach out to other people, groups or organizations, which might be interested in Bitcoin (banking reformers, alternative currency advocates, media artists,...). It is surprising to see how appealing Bitcoin is to many different groups for very different reasons. Of course, some hope for Bitcoin to become something it inherently cannot achieve, but still.

The fact that (much like this very forum) there seems to be a constant stream of new people becoming aware of and interested in Bitcoin makes me optimistic about the state of the community. We would love to hear from other local groups - how are you doing, what are your topics, how do you deal with newcomers, do you do advertising?

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
unclemantis

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:57:45 PM

Since the beginning of our local Bitcoin group here in Vienna, "Bitcoin Austria", we had a total of 12 meetings with about 8-15 people each. The core group meets more often to work on various projects and although we don't do much advertising, we continuously have an influx of new people: about 1-2 new people show up on every meeting.
Over time the knowledge gap within the audience widened and it became somewhat difficult to keep it interesting for everybody. We are now trying to split the meetings in two parts and start with an introductory talk about Bitcoin which is actively advertised to newcomers and the main part where more advanced discussions are planned.

One of our major task is to reach out to other people, groups or organizations, which might be interested in Bitcoin (banking reformers, alternative currency advocates, media artists,...). It is surprising to see how appealing Bitcoin is to many different groups for very different reasons. Of course, some hope for Bitcoin to become something it inherently cannot achieve, but still.

The fact that (much like this very forum) there seems to be a constant stream of new people becoming aware of and interested in Bitcoin makes me optimistic about the state of the community. We would love to hear from other local groups - how are you doing, what are your topics, how do you deal with newcomers, do you do advertising?

We need a bitcoin group that runs similar to 2600.

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:24:24 PM

The meetup in New Hampshire (The Free State) is about 3 weeks old and going very well. It meets weekly on saturdays, and has 8-12 people show up, with 1-3 new people each time.

Conversation tends to split between one group teaching the newbs about Bitcoin, and another group discussing more advanced matters and community happenings, etc. The meetup serves as a place for exchange (USD or silver for BTC) as well.

The New Hampshire Free State Project is a unique environment in which to foster Bitcoin enthusiasts. I run the Free State Bitcoin Consortium group on facebook which has over 100 members, 90% of whom are in NH. I think there are at least 200 Free Staters who are at least mildly into Bitcoin and use it in agorist activities frequently. I believe in a year there will be at least 500 Free Staters who own and at least casually use Bitcoin.

The meetup will not fit all these people Smiley
unclemantis

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:41:31 PM

The meetup in New Hampshire (The Free State) is about 3 weeks old and going very well. It meets weekly on saturdays, and has 8-12 people show up, with 1-3 new people each time.

Conversation tends to split between one group teaching the newbs about Bitcoin, and another group discussing more advanced matters and community happenings, etc. The meetup serves as a place for exchange (USD or silver for BTC) as well.

The New Hampshire Free State Project is a unique environment in which to foster Bitcoin enthusiasts. I run the Free State Bitcoin Consortium group on facebook which has over 100 members, 90% of whom are in NH. I think there are at least 200 Free Staters who are at least mildly into Bitcoin and use it in agorist activities frequently. I believe in a year there will be at least 500 Free Staters who own and at least casually use Bitcoin.

evoorhees would you like to help me set up a chapter down here in Houston, TX?

ben-abuya

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 11:44:19 PM

Here's a link to a post I wrote about the first NH meetup:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91059.0

http://lamassubtc.com/
Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 11:46:37 PM

evoorhees would you like to help me set up a chapter down here in Houston, TX?

Sure! Follow these steps:

1) Make a facebook group like "House Bitcoin League" or something fun.
2) Invite people to join, build attendance in the FB group over time. Make sure everyone in Houston who is into Bitcoin is aware of this FB group and has joined it.
3) After a month or two of growth, if the group is active on FB, then organize a meetup using the FB group.

My Free State Bitcoin Consortium group existed for about 6 months before one of the members (ben-abuya here on the forum) proposed and organized the meetup.

evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 11:48:21 PM

Here's a link to a post I wrote about the first NH meetup:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91059.0

Oh, speak of the devil! haha
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: