Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:12:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Main disadvantage of Bitcoin and the others  (Read 2264 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:30:35 AM

Cash is serialized isn't it? So to say cash is anonymous is only HALF CORRECT!
OK. Let's replace "cash" with "coins" then. Coins aren't serialized. Bitcoin shouldn't contain "coin" in its name, coz every satoshi is serialized.

umm, no they are not.  You are thinking of them like the items of an online game in a database. Where every item, even if its the exact same has a unique ID. This is not the case with Bitcoins... The sending and receiving of bitcoins is simply a recording in a ledger stating x number of coins now belong to x address instead of y address. Nothing more. And unless you go out of your way to attach your info to an address you are using it is actually fairly anon by default. If you are doing something so terribly illegal that you think an agency would go through the trouble and resources to track down who owns an address,  then you have much bigger problems than to worry about how anon bitcoin is by default..

If your goal is to make bitcoin as anonymous as possible by default, then why not work on a project for the average user that would do that for them?

And cash will not be the answer for much longer. Look for ALL USD to be 'digital only' starting 2017 when the noose is much futher tightened to outlaw cash transactions....

And if you want to make a comparison of the anon value of spending BTC versus any other currency in digital just think about a normal, digital transaction at a merchant now.  You slide your card that has all of your personal details attached to it. It logs your name, address, phone, dob, and any other data you have 'agreed' to allow merchants access to by simpy having the card. It logs the exact time and place you used your card. There is a high likelyhood that there is also video to match up exactly with yuor transaction, your vehicle and anything you may have been 'browsing' in the store. Did you spend some extra time looking at those dangerous pool chemicals but you don't even have a pool you say?... ;p Just sayin'  /tinfoil loin cloth

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:37:06 AM

It's just plain ridiculous to complain about Bitcoins anonymity compared to cash. I mean come on, my grandma can't be bothered to wear a cloak, mask and gloves out in public so paper USD is rather a fail for her too.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:41:47 AM

Well... Seems the reality is no so bad as I imagined. Thx for explanations.
Fuckbuddies

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:09:02 AM

I think bitcoin is going to keep crashing as the hoarders cash out. That way bitcoin gets spread out more equally and it rises again. It wont be accepted as a currency until it's more widely known and spread out.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:23:08 PM

I think bitcoin is going to keep crashing as the hoarders cash out. That way bitcoin gets spread out more equally and it rises again. It wont be accepted as a currency until it's more widely known and spread out.

aye, every time a long time holder sells a big chunk I get a HUGE smile on my face. As I think like you, in that seeing it in more hands instead of concentrated should be better for commerce.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 03:58:27 PM

If your goal is to make bitcoin as anonymous as possible by default, then why not work on a project for the average user that would do that for them?
That thread, you may find interesting.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94155.msg1042967#msg1042967
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:03:25 PM

You could have a friend(or a trusted entity) pay for something for you, and then pay your friend the BTC amount, problem solved just make sure your friend doesn’t say anything Tongue

I'm working with someone that will allow such anonymous trust transactions with other users like the bitcoin-otc but more intuitive and in my opinion more practical.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:41:00 PM

just make sure your friend doesn’t say anything
Sounds scaring...  Grin
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358