Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:06:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Deposit to wrong Mt. Gox account- my mistake- issue now resolved by Bitinstant  (Read 3867 times)
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 01:03:59 PM

I know, it sucks. Basically Mark is in Europe and I'm in the US. He lives in Tokyo, which makes timezones crazy.

We need a better way to handle a situation like this, but honestly this was the first time it ever happend!

Any progress here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MrCrappy (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:18:25 PM

Negative.
MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 03:47:56 PM

Closing in on two weeks. Feelsbadman.
http://www.wpclipart.com/holiday/halloween/skeleton/praying_skeleton_T.png
lolbox

Activity: 5

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:28:36 PM

Just curious.. How much did you lose?
bitcorn

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:57:43 PM

https://i.imgur.com/86HUy.gif
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 12:34:45 AM

Well dude looks like you aren't getting your money back.  Kind of a big mistake on your part, but any financial business should have the kind of customer service that gets you your money ASAP and works out the issue behind the scenes for themselves.  Too bad these businesses are so new that customer service is not yet #1 priority for them.  Hopefully you didn't lose too much.

I resent that. You have no idea what needs to go on in order to get the funds back for this customer who sent it to the wrong account. We have to chase after the person who has the funds and get everyone to agree. The fact I exchanged many and many emails and posted on this thread shows we have the best customer service. Please try our service before making comments about our supprt.

Negative.

See your email

I know, it sucks. Basically Mark is in Europe and I'm in the US. He lives in Tokyo, which makes timezones crazy.

We need a better way to handle a situation like this, but honestly this was the first time it ever happend!

Any progress here?

Yes, it was completed.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 01:02:12 AM

BitInstant,

Suppose the account owner does not agree.  What will you do in such a case?
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 05:39:36 AM

BitInstant,

Suppose the account owner does not agree.  What will you do in such a case?

Honestly, I'll have to judge it case by case basis.

So far, very few times this actually happend.

Depends on the amount, but if it's a loyal customer and the accidental owner says a flat out 'no', I would process the transfer while I work it out with the exchange.

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 01:13:58 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2012, 02:37:41 PM by EnergyVampire

Well dude looks like you aren't getting your money back.  Kind of a big mistake on your part, but any financial business should have the kind of customer service that gets you your money ASAP and works out the issue behind the scenes for themselves.  Too bad these businesses are so new that customer service is not yet #1 priority for them.  Hopefully you didn't lose too much.

I resent that. You have no idea what needs to go on in order to get the funds back for this customer who sent it to the wrong account. We have to chase after the person who has the funds and get everyone to agree. The fact I exchanged many and many emails and posted on this thread shows we have the best customer service. Please try our service before making comments about our supprt.

Asking the other account holder for permission to remove funds that don't belong to him is bullshit.  It wasn't his money to provide permission to remove from his account.  Mt Gox should have froze or removed the funds immediately from the other account holder upon your confirmation that this was a valid issue.  They should have provided you the go ahead to reimburse user or send funds to real account at the same point. Obviously your going to come back and say there is all kinds of red tape that needs to be addressed to obtain funds.  That's fine, but reimburse customer immediately while you and Mt. Gox work that out.  That would be considered the best customer service.

User who made a mistake loses on this rally while his funds are tied up with red tape.  And Yes I know at the end of the day it is his fault for making the mistake with account number.

I agree with officialsavage on this issue. This situation happens with banks all the time but once the customer or the bank employee realizes the error, the bank fixes the transaction without permission from anyone. I'm not sure which laws or rules apply but it is Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for banking.

This might be a little tricky for MtGox accounts with no real identity other than a username or email address but CYA...

MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 01:44:31 PM

Hi folks. I appreciate all the replies and support on this. I want to make absolutely clear that I know I'm a moron for making this mistake and I take responsibility for it. It wasn't a King's ransom, but I'm not wealthy by any means so it isn't something I can just walk away from either. I appreciate that Bitinstant has promised to resolve it, but of course I'm still just waiting waiting waiting and haven't really heard if there is any progress or if I'm just screwed etc etc.

I suppose the 'bright side' to this is that my mistake exposes some weakness in the system that can be fixed. One thing I would suggest: once I 'submit' my Bitinstant form I get taken to the Trustcash part; however the Bitinstant form clears and there is no real order detail on Trustcash. It would help tremendously if the TC invoice read "You are depositing X amount into Y account and your email address is Z. Are you sure this information is correct?" If somebody (like me) makes a mistake there is really no way to tell until the money doesn't show up.

Actually I'm most disappointed with Gox. I contacted them immediately and they basically said it's not our problem. I wish they had at least offered to freeze the transaction amount or contact the account holder on my behalf until it's worked out.

Just want to get past this.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 01:53:41 PM

So you can deposit to someone elses account on mt gox ? Sounds like a good recipe for money laundering.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 01:56:59 PM

MrCrappy, don't be so hard on yourself bro. This is the kind of thing that could happen to any of us.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
xorred

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:39:33 PM

use a password keeping application to paste the numbers next time
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:01:08 PM

triple checking doesn't work?
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 02:36:29 AM

serious question?  Wink

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 12:01:05 PM

serious question?  Wink

Yes. I get rather curious to know why people love to overcomplicate simple things.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 04:33:22 AM

serious question?  Wink

Yes. I get rather curious to know why people love to overcomplicate simple things.
+1

MrCrappy (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 01:36:01 PM

Rounding the corner of 3 weeks.
 Angry
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 01:38:54 PM

Rounding the corner of 3 weeks.
 Angry

you should post this every single day until it is solved!

JTurner

Activity: 40

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 02:44:24 PM

As far as I understood (as in, read in some other threads), withdrawing a certain amount (say, 1k$) of funds from MtGox is a major bureaucratic PITA because of all the ID and stuff they require (that's actually what refrained me from even trying their service so far). The thing that puzzles me the most is that given that bureaucracy, the least you could expect in return is them fixing such erroneous fundings with mismatching IDs a bit more promptly...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: