Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2014, 08:34:38 PM *
News: ♦♦ A bug in OpenSSL, used by Bitcoin-Qt/Bitcoin Core, could allow your bitcoins to be stolen. Immediately updating Bitcoin Core to 0.9.1 is required in some cases, especially if you're using 0.9.0. Download. More info.
The same bug also affected the forum. Changing your forum password is recommended.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner's Guide  (Read 263252 times)
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 84

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile

Ignore
May 23, 2011, 03:03:57 AM

Hi everyone,

Starting this thread when I was trying to consolidate different rigs into my building thread and it quickly became more like a newbies guide and I thought why not. I realized as I kept including the different threads and sites I've been to thinking that it'd help people who would go to my thread it started turning into this.

I'm not an expert on Bitcoin or anything, in fact I consider myself a newbie at this point of time. However being a newbie myself, I found that information regarding this relatively new and very technical topic is scarce and difficult to find. After many days of searching the net and forums I found myself still within the vicinity of where I started albeit I'm getting the general idea of how things work, also I've found that over the few days I've been reading this forum that the same questions kept getting raised and people would have to keep answering the same questions from newcomers which might get a little frustrating sometimes.

However, with that said, I'd probably need the help of much more experienced members and players in Bitcoin to help with this guide so that it may in turn help the newcomers. In my own experienced, it is very difficult to come into the Bitcoin scene and I found that this guide has been long overdue, I believe as this guide becomes more comprehensive and complete it helps more people to get into Bitcoin and in turn help Bitcoin to grow toward it's vision.

This guide is by no means complete, suggestions and recommendations are welcome, I'm not as technically inclined as many that I've found so I'm asking for help to consolidate information that would help people get into Bitcoin easier and faster.

:Update: 26th May 2011, Thread has been made sticky. Thanks Mods and everyone who have contributed Smiley
:Notice:  28th May 2011, My desktop HDD died on me yesterday I have been trying to get my mining rig to get me going again but to no avail, as afore mentioned. I'm not actually IT literate, I might not be around as often as I'd like to. And my mining rig has got some problems while setting up too. Pardon me for the slow updates Smiley

And of cuz If you found my post helpful, feel free to send me a tip | 13kHaYGkF9W5xNjF2Ck5hTgVR9MNjr8c3U |

If any link goes bad please inform me and if possible provide the updated link. Pardon me for my English as I'm not a native speaker.

P.S If you found my post helpful, feel free to send me a tip | 13kHaYGkF9W5xNjF2Ck5hTgVR9MNjr8c3U |

Update: I've added a few sections since the guide started. I'd be relying on contributions & anything that comes to mind or catch my eye for updates. I've been busy trying to migrate from LinuxCoin to Ubuntu and getting my 2 mining rigs to run stably 24/7.

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
Donate: 13kHaYGkF9W5xNjF2Ck5hTgVR9MNjr8c3U

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
      THE ONLY DICE GAME WITH ACTUAL ROLLING DICE BetCoin™ Dice
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 23, 2011, 07:46:51 PM

Any suggestions, recommendations and feedbacks are welcome.

I'm still a newbie myself and am also reading lots of articles everyday. I can't possibly cover all angles myself Smiley Please help me grow this community with quality information and promote more innovations Smiley Thanks a lot.

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
error

Activity: 462

View Profile

Ignore
May 23, 2011, 07:51:48 PM

SgtSpike has a post with a spreadsheet comparing the cost of building a mining rig to just buying Bitcoins outright. I think that should be added.

15UFyv6kfWgq83Pp3yhXPr8rknv9m6581W
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 23, 2011, 08:00:18 PM

Hi error,

Thanks for the recommendation, it's a great addition to the guide. Smiley I wouldn't have come across it myself. Your help in making this guide more complete is much appreciated.

I'll be reading it now, pretty intriguing information I must say haha. Please let me know of any feedbacks, critics or more suggestions to make this guide of better quality. Thanks alot.

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 23, 2011, 08:14:40 PM

Hi, I've updated the guide just a little bit. I'm getting into the subjects of protecting my wallet and selling/using my Bitcoins as I've gotten just a little of them from this few days of mining. Could someone point me into the right direction please.

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
grndzero

Activity: 392

View Profile

Ignore
May 23, 2011, 08:29:59 PM

Hi, I've updated the guide just a little bit. I'm getting into the subjects of protecting my wallet and selling/using my Bitcoins as I've gotten just a little of them from this few days of mining. Could someone point me into the right direction please.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade

You probably want to look around the Tech Support area. There's a lot of info about finding, backing up, and encrypting the wallet.dat file.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
LobsterMan

Activity: 72

View Profile

Ignore
May 24, 2011, 05:19:58 AM

Thanks for linking to my site  Cool
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 24, 2011, 12:43:00 PM

Hi LobsterMan. No problem. I'm just trying to help =) I'd have ask for permission first but I was too tired writing this.

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
acamus

Activity: 28

View Profile

Ignore
May 25, 2011, 12:07:43 AM

this is really good, perhaps it should be made sticky?

Short Bitcoin  (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0) if you dare.
http://www.tradebitcoin.com/
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Foneminuteslow.com%2Fbitcoin%2F100-20.png&t=539&c=64n1C1aaQR_iPA (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8895.0)
15V8JNvmvuWnRF3r6hfTyLL1ukyfp
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 01:43:28 AM

Just did a small update and added new categories. Comments and feedbacks are always welcome. Thanks Smiley

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade

You probably want to look around the Tech Support area. There's a lot of info about finding, backing up, and encrypting the wallet.dat file.

Thanks a lot grndzero, again Smiley I've read this and also added it to the guide. There is indeed a lot of information, also in the tech support area. I'll try to simplify some stuff and put it on the guide when I have time, I'm still having problems building my rig -.- If you could please head over to my rig building thread and give me a hand.

this is really good, perhaps it should be made sticky?

Hey thanks a lot acamus, this is the first real public compliment I've received for this initiative. I was beginning to think that I've done something totally uncalled for. I really appreciate the encouragement and I've been trying to keep this guide within the first two pages myself and I don't know how to make it sticky.

But maybe with enough people thinking this is good enough to be sticky it'd be. I'll try my best to make this guide more complete in the mean time.

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
grue
Staff

Activity: 1036

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 02:13:22 AM

you should add more pools, like btcmine, eligius, bitcoinpool and btcguild, to name a few.

1ELvnrA6PhUyDBS6iR25K1Xx4xXL6VMfJX
error

Activity: 462

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 02:15:32 AM

Ask and ye shall receive! This post is now sticky. Thanks, mods. Grin

15UFyv6kfWgq83Pp3yhXPr8rknv9m6581W
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 02:31:07 AM

you should add more pools, like btcmine, eligius, bitcoinpool and btcguild, to name a few.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've added them although I can't find a thread specific to bitcoinpool's updates and stuff, so I included their site through a simple search through google. I'm not sure if they're all correct though.

Ask and ye shall receive! This post is now sticky. Thanks, mods. Grin

Wow Thanks alot mods Smiley, error I wish I could just ask for more BTC and received them hahaha. Thanks for the encouragement !!

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
eMansipater

Activity: 294

View Profile WWW

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 02:48:30 AM

It's confusing that you have "pool hopping" listed there.  Pool hopping is an exploit, and it also doesn't work--why is it listed as a mining pool?

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 03:11:09 AM

It's confusing that you have "pool hopping" listed there.  Pool hopping is an exploit, and it also doesn't work--why is it listed as a mining pool?

I'm sorry. I hasn't gotten to it yet and I don't know the jizz of it. If you read that section you'll know what I meant. If it doesn't work then it really isn't an exploit. Anyway if such is the case I'll remove it

Thanks for the feedback, also if there is other mistakes or recommendations to make this guide better and more complete. Please do voice it out.

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 694

Your Minion

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 03:30:46 AM

Remove "newbie" from title.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 03:36:19 AM

Then it'll just be Guide cause I don't really know what to put as the title. -.-

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 694

Your Minion

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 03:41:30 AM

Beginner's Guide to Mining

Guide looks good, sticky material in the making. I'll throw you a btc in a few, keep it up.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
SchizophrenicX

View Profile

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 03:58:34 AM

Beginner's Guide to Mining

Guide looks good, sticky material in the making. I'll throw you a btc in a few, keep it up.

Thanks!!!  Cheesy I've changed it to Beginner's Guide, I see how it was sounding a little ... *lost the word* I'm not sure I'd have it remain about mining. I'm adding stuff as I go along learning about the different things about Bitcoin. I hasn't done any trading or selling my BTC yet and I might.

I really appreciate all the encouragement that I'm getting Smiley I was pretty down about my exams results but now I feel much delighted. Thanks for the generous gesture. It'll do well in my first rig so I can keep up with the rising difficulty. 70 Mhash/s is -.- hahaha

Beginner's Guide
Building a Mining Rig
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW

Ignore
May 26, 2011, 04:07:46 AM

It's confusing that you have "pool hopping" listed there.  Pool hopping is an exploit, and it also doesn't work--why is it listed as a mining pool?

I'm sorry. I hasn't gotten to it yet and I don't know the jizz of it. If you read that section you'll know what I meant. If it doesn't work then it really isn't an exploit. Anyway if such is the case I'll remove it
Pool-hopping definitely does work, unless the pool uses an immune payout method (which most pools don't). I don't know if anyone implemented it yet.
By the way, you left out the one pool currently using a cheat-proof method, continuum pool.
eMansipater, where did you get the idea that it doesn't?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.