Bitcoin Forum
December 05, 2016, 08:35:14 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner's Guide  (Read 296060 times)
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 05:22:51 AM

Maybe include my site? Safety Tips and Accident Reports. Noobs (well, everyone really) should have easy access to this site to help keep themselves safe on the job. Mining for bitcoins is serious business - together we can make mining for bitcoins safer! http://www.bitcoinminingaccidents.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
ZombieDeity

Activity: 91

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:10:08 PM

Maybe include my site? Safety Tips and Accident Reports. Noobs (well, everyone really) should have easy access to this site to help keep themselves safe on the job. Mining for bitcoins is serious business - together we can make mining for bitcoins safer! http://www.bitcoinminingaccidents.com/

Holy crap, dude. Shocked  I hope that post about the guy who got brain damage from too much heat in his bedroom is a joke.  That's scary stuff.
bcpokey

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:43:38 PM

Roll Eyes

Heat stroke is a real phenomenon, but unless he closed all his windows and doors and ran many many machines this is a very unlikely scenario. I mean it gets to 100+F in some areas of the world in summer on a regular basis, so think about what it must mean for someone to get heatstroke while lying there totally immobile (the bodys core temperature drops by a few degrees while you  sleep to boot).

Anyway, as to earlier points, I agree that newbies might not want to solo, but there is no reason to not include it in a beginners guide, as the concept of bitcoin is solo miners (pools are a natural but not inevitable consequence). You don't need "double GHash Digits" to solo, that's absurd. And it can be more profitable than fee mining if you have good luck. You make a good point that pools are much easier for starting off, but I still think its good to inform beginners.
ZombieDeity

Activity: 91

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 02:35:03 PM

Roll Eyes

Heat stroke is a real phenomenon, but unless he closed all his windows and doors and ran many many machines this is a very unlikely scenario. I mean it gets to 100+F in some areas of the world in summer on a regular basis, so think about what it must mean for someone to get heatstroke while lying there totally immobile (the bodys core temperature drops by a few degrees while you  sleep to boot).

Anyway, as to earlier points, I agree that newbies might not want to solo, but there is no reason to not include it in a beginners guide, as the concept of bitcoin is solo miners (pools are a natural but not inevitable consequence). You don't need "double GHash Digits" to solo, that's absurd. And it can be more profitable than fee mining if you have good luck. You make a good point that pools are much easier for starting off, but I still think its good to inform beginners.

You're right about the heat stroke scenario.  His machines would likely melt down before producing that much heat.

On the subject of getting lucky mining Bitcoins solo, the problem is just that.  You have to be lucky.  Even if you're mining at a rate that will, on average, produce a valid block of coins every month, any time the difficulty changes, you have to discard the work you've done on the current block and essentially start over.  Also, for an empirical example, you can look at the stats on many pool sites and see that most users with moderate hash rates have produced very few bitcoins.  They've done work that others didn't have to, which contributes to the pool's success, but on their own they'd be failing completely.
computerparts

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:34:17 AM

Folks, dehydration is the main contributor to heatstroke. It's not just about the ambient temperature. It could be 70 degrees and you could still suffer heatstroke.
innervisi0nn

Activity: 98

Tutorials, guidelines, optimizations for all!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:50:24 AM

oh jeez

detroit

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:49:09 PM

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271701-How-to-fund-your-cruncher-s-utility-bill-OR-how-to-make-money-using-bitcoin

Here's a great step-by-step on how to get started mining.

Tradehill.com referral code: TH-R1494
Please consider using it if I've said something useful!
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 126

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:24:59 AM

Hi, been awhile since I updated the guide, I've added a few links and sections, it's become increasingly hard to complete this guide as I have been stuck and hasn't move on much as a miner myself. I hope people will appreciate the effort and also contribute to this guide Smiley

Added Smiley Always love to go see some FMLs haha

detroit: thanks Smiley Also added xtremesystems too

epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:18:48 AM

In light of the bitcoin stealing Trojan out there if you are using windows you can run bitcoin on Linux in a VM  (Virtual Box, and VMware are free).  You can also install Ubuntu in windows using the wubi installer.
royalecraig

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 11:52:23 AM

If anyone is interested, I've produced a DVD on Bitcoin and Silver, economy etc, it's 3hrs long, it's free. I made it to explain to friends family etc about bitcoin, what it is, why it's needed, and the problem with the economy, the need to buy precious metals etc.
It's in PAL Format, I'll post anywhere.
Assuming you like it, use the DVD as promotional DVD for your own online business etc by creating your own label for the DVD and giving thm away or even selling them.

I've got around 5 copies but can make more if there is the interest, there's a tip address on the DVD, and I've tried to promote every bitcoin website I could think of when making the DVD.
The DVD also contains lots of introductory info on Linux, online security, cryptography, Proxies etc, it's not meant as a final authorative how to, more a generalised introduction to Bitcoin, what's going on with the economy, and what are the issues and solutions.

I'll surface post to anyone anywhere ( hope I'm not going to regret that ) who is interested in receiving a copy for evalution, I'm not selling them though all small tips greatfuly received.

Cool

£

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:41:11 AM

If anyone is interested, I've produced a DVD . . . .

That sounds great, but why not upload it to Vimeo or Youtube at as high quality as you can then people can either watch online or download it to watch or burn ?
Katapult

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 06:38:46 PM

If anyone is interested, I created a youtube video on how to install the bitcoin wallet, and how to start mining on the Eligius pool.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L9zO-VnLrY
Azure Maiden

Activity: 25

Pixel Sticks and Practical Tricks

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:11:48 AM

Very awesome, thanks for the guide I'll put it to full use. Grin

Get out of the USD before it Collapses like a House of Cards  (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W4JN5Q/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amazyou0d-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001W4JN5Q)
shotgun

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 04:43:37 AM

In light of the bitcoin stealing Trojan out there if you are using windows you can run bitcoin on Linux in a VM  (Virtual Box, and VMware are free).  You can also install Ubuntu in windows using the wubi installer.

Good luck accessing the GPUs in a VM to the extent that you would actually get full mhash usage. If you're running windows you're better off burning LinuxCoin to a DVD and then booting the live image, mining, then when done eject the CD and be on your way.

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
ysoliman

Activity: 86

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:58:31 PM

Thanks for this guide, extremely useful.
TheHeroMember

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 08:00:35 AM

Thanks for the share mate, this truly helps.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
Maniac479

Activity: 59

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 05:15:50 AM

What is "Aggression"?  Huh

I keep coming across this term in mining-

the software that I use to mine (50 Miner) even has a setting for it- from 1 to 13-
but I have no idea what it is!  Undecided
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1442

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:56:01 PM

Bump

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
zakoliverz

Activity: 543

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 11:19:13 AM

I bulid a minimal rig with a pair of 7970's will run you about $1100. Make about $7 a day at the current exchange rate and difficulty level so it will take 5 months to pay off (or up to 7~8 months if you pay for electricity). You're basically betting that the exchange rate will grow proportionally (or greater) with difficulty.
supercoins

Activity: 33

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:49:22 AM

Thanks for the great info everyone!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.