Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:51:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Barn Quilt Trail 2.0  (Read 3616 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:00:37 PM

Inspired from the image above, I immediately recalled images like the one below.

These are referred to as Barn Quilts. The following link will get you up to speed: http://barnquiltinfo.com/history.html

Donna Sue Groves' idea continues to inspire folks across the country to join what has become the largest grassroots public arts movement in our history.

I propose the first ever QR Quilt to be affixed to a barn, thus hoping to create a new trend. So that there's no missed opportunity for Bitcoin, ideally the first one should link to some prominent Bitcoin related site like bitcoin.org or some other.

I'm willing to provide all the material and labor, as well as procuring a barn for this endeavor. But what I need from the community is a consensus as to where the QR-code will link to, and its quilt-like design. One more thing! It has to be a functioning QR-code, one that can be captured from afar with a smartphone.

I believe that if we can accomplish this task, media outlets will pick up on the creation. I do have one such outlet in mind if its editor isn't too busy boosting about his 5,000th post.  Grin

It's either I get busy on this project, or revert back to demanding a video of Zhou Tong lassoing mustangs in Montana to prove he's real.  Grin

With any luck, possibly an inclusion in a new edition of the following book is not outside the realm of possibility. http://barnquiltinfo.com/personalized.html

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 07:11:48 PM

I'm in. --> pm
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 08:06:29 PM

I'm in. --> pm

Well, that's one hell of a start. Nice site, nice work.

My first though/concern is that the colors should be reminiscent of traditional barn quilts, mainly pastels (I believe--need to research). Although I like the circled blocks shown in that other thread, we may have to maintain the square aspect due to the fact that most quilts use squares in their designs, plus less chance of it not working during the scanning process because it may loose a little resolution transferring the finished design onto painted wood.

Another part of the design element I'm going to incorporate, which has nothing to do with the actual QR-core image, is to reproduce this on reclaimed lumber, oppose to the standard sheets of plywood, thus possibly embracing the Greens.

Where else, and how can such a concept be used in all practicality, you ask?

I'll answer that with an example. Three blocks from where I live is the Sandwich, IL, fairgrounds. Facing the main drag, are several barns and barn-like structures. Imagine, on the side of one of those barns, a painted QR-code Barn Quilt, scannable, linked to a site showing dates of upcoming events at the fairgrounds, one of which is the Sandwich Fair. Therefore, I now ask you a question(s). How many fairs are there in the US, and how many of those fairgrounds have barns close to main road?

Now consider this. How many business owners have plain ole looking barns, but are not too keen on having a silly quilt affixed to it? But could those same barn owning entrepreneurs consider putting up a Barn Quilt that has a function as well as aesthetics? One that once scanned links to their enterprise?

After several of these are up, nationwide/globally, wouldn't it be nice to know that the first one linked to Bitcoin? This project is 100% doable without any risk--just support and an occasional nudge.

Let the design process begin, and let's agree upon which site it should be linked to. I don't have a bias opinion on that, but I will suggest bitcoin.org, weusecoins, and bit-pay, for starters.

~Bruno~
lordcirth

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 08:27:36 PM

This is indeed a brilliant idea. I think weusecoins would be the best place to link, its what I think of as the "newbie link".
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 02:37:12 AM

Another requirement I desire to insist on is that the QR-code be rotated 45.5% clockwise, thereby incorporating a unique and consistent look for all forthcoming QR Quilts. The image below is an example of that rotation, coupled with visualizing color.

Bear in mind that most quilts of any ilk are of symmetrical design, but due to the nature of QR-codes, a hybrid symmetry is warranted, bordering on asymmetrical.

~Bruno~
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 02:42:20 AM

While that bad boy is certainly Faaaabulous, the key question of any QR code is, "Will it scan?"

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 02:59:39 AM

While that bad boy is certainly Faaaabulous, the key question of any QR code is, "Will it scan?"

The image above is only of one I gleaned from the internet via Google to depict the 45.5% clockwise rotation. I have not idea where it leads. Perhaps pirateat40, I don't know.

~Bruno~
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 10:14:46 AM

The image above is only of one I gleaned from the internet via Google to depict the 45.5% clockwise rotation. I have not idea where it leads. Perhaps pirateat40, I don't know.

~Bruno~

My scanning app failed to work on both codes. Anyone else's QR scanner working on em?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 10:21:56 AM

~Bruno~

My scanning app failed to work on both codes. Anyone else's QR scanner working on em?

Mine did (scanlife on android), directed me to a page on stillcreekpress discussing qr codes and what they're used for.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 10:29:04 AM

~Bruno~

Mine did (scanlife on android), directed me to a page on stillcreekpress discussing qr codes and what they're used for.
Strange that RL Classic on iPhone failed to work. Guess I need to get another app now.  Undecided
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 11:57:29 AM

those are so cute Tongue

Probably because the iphone is an expensive piece of pooopie....... (I have a Motorola brick phone from 1986) Will not read QR codes but neither will your Iphone Tongue

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 04:09:26 PM

Please note: None of the codes above have anything to do with this project. They were linked to for example purposes ONLY.

The following image is another example of typical barn quilts. They are not QR-codes, so don't waste your time trying to scan them.  Roll Eyes

The typical size of barn quilts are 8' X 8' (two sheets of 4x8 plywood laid side-to-side).

I think I should first build a prototype 4' X 4' to show proof of concept since I'm dedicating reclaimed barn wood for its construction oppose to new plywood. That said, for the prototype I feel it best to have it linked to bitcoin.org. This way we can all concentrate on the QR-code's design element(s).

If they were able to make the following work, I see no reason why this idea won't work.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 04:19:24 PM

For those wonder if there's a direct correlation between quilters and Bitcoiners, consider the following: http://www.bettycrockerass.com/2011/04/modern-log-cabin-quilting-by-susan-beal.html

After getting the first block chain pieced, I couldn't wait to finish the other 60. I laid it out and actually squealed with delight. Orange, linen and pretty seams! I couldn't believe the beauty. I was actually proud of my self for making something so pretty. Well, and for actually following directions!

Image of a block chain.

People who seek out quilts on barns are called Barn Quilt Explorers. (I may have made the term up, but these people do exist)

Another link: http://www.peoplesdefender.com/main.asp?SectionID=13&SubSectionID=83&ArticleID=135015

~Bruno~
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 02:05:31 AM

I wonder why no one has made a qr code crop circle yet  Cheesy

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 02:23:09 AM

I wonder why no one has made a qr code crop circle yet  Cheesy

You should Google before you speak. Wink

http://ottawaqrcode.com/2011/11/18/ottawa-valley-farmer-discovers-qr-code-crop-circle-in-field/

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 12:45:07 PM

Wonder where that scans too ?

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 02:12:08 PM

Inspired from the image above, I immediately recalled images like the one below.

These are referred to as Barn Quilts. The following link will get you up to speed: http://barnquiltinfo.com/history.html

Donna Sue Groves' idea continues to inspire folks across the country to join what has become the largest grassroots public arts movement in our history.

I propose the first ever QR Quilt to be affixed to a barn, thus hoping to create a new trend. So that there's no missed opportunity for Bitcoin, ideally the first one should link to some prominent Bitcoin related site like bitcoin.org or some other.

I'm willing to provide all the material and labor, as well as procuring a barn for this endeavor. But what I need from the community is a consensus as to where the QR-code will link to, and its quilt-like design. One more thing! It has to be a functioning QR-code, one that can be captured from afar with a smartphone.

I believe that if we can accomplish this task, media outlets will pick up on the creation. I do have one such outlet in mind if its editor isn't too busy boosting about his 5,000th post.  Grin

It's either I get busy on this project, or revert back to demanding a video of Zhou Tong lassoing mustangs in Montana to prove he's real.  Grin

With any luck, possibly an inclusion in a new edition of the following book is not outside the realm of possibility. http://barnquiltinfo.com/personalized.html

~Bruno~

That image does not contain a valid qr code or the system i have can't read it.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 07:12:09 PM

It's a valid QR code, except for the eyes. I had to undo all the color changes and the rotation to get it to scan, but it goes to the Optiscan webpage.

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 02:38:01 AM

It's a valid QR code, except for the eyes. I had to undo all the color changes and the rotation to get it to scan, but it goes to the Optiscan webpage.

Not practical.... yet.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 03:53:32 PM

Not practical.... yet.

Are you saying that a multicolored QR-code won't work?

If that's the case, and I thought of that, I kinda was thinking along the following lines. All the smaller square within are of only two colors--one light, one dark. The three (four) larger squares made up of a more interesting colored pattarn--all the same. A border, that's not necessarily needed for it to scan properly, picture-frames the quilt with yet possibly another color(s). The end result will have to be that all the colors work in concert with each other and the resulting QR-code is reminiscent of a (barn) quilt.

~Bruno~
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: