Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:35:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Longer Term Holding? Where To Put BC's?  (Read 788 times)
Raralith (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:08:58 AM

Hey BitCoin Forum, I'm rather new to the community, but have been investing for some time and I'm interested in diversifying into BitCoin's. What is the equivalent to fiat currency investment of indexes or mutual funds. As far as I can tell, GLBSE seems rather popular, do I just send them the BC's (like I do to Vangard) and hope I make money? Thanks again for your time and help.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:32:47 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2012, 03:29:45 PM by EnergyVampire

Hey BitCoin Forum, I'm rather new to the community, but have been investing for some time and I'm interested in diversifying into BitCoin's. What is the equivalent to fiat currency investment of indexes or mutual funds. As far as I can tell, GLBSE seems rather popular, do I just send them the BC's (like I do to Vangard) and hope I make money? Thanks again for your time and help.

Hello Raralith,

GLBSE is popular but it's definitely not like Vanguard, maybe more like PinkSheets......no, wait the Nigerian PinkSheets.  Cheesy

...but seriously, GLBSE is the exchange so you would send BTC to your GLBSE account and then you have to pick and choose individual investments.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:34:57 AM

Put your BTC into a reasonably well secured offline wallet (i.e. wallet.dat).

This should be by far the best BTC investment in terms of risk/reward you can do.

-
Jurek

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:38:51 AM

Wait until block reward halves, then stick with miners I guess.

PSYCHOTICBOY IS A THIEF AND A SCAMMER BE WARNED!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=129941
Raralith (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:47:40 AM

Well, I don't really like the idea of leaving money under the mattress and having only gains from the appreciation, I interested in some interest too while I wait. Is BC a bit too immature and anything offered right now is a bit shady than?
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:50:32 AM

Well, I don't really like the idea of leaving money under the mattress and having only gains from the appreciation, I interested in some interest too while I wait. Is BC a bit too immature and anything offered right now is a bit shady than?

Give it a decade or two, then you'll get it. Meanwhile, sure, whatever floats your boat.

-
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 12:56:59 AM

If you are interested in diversifying into Bitcoins, then just buy Bitcoins. Don't bother with a place like GLBSE. GLBSE is equity shares in various bitcoin-related companies (of varying credibility). Don't get into GLBSE until you're already an expert on the Bitcoin ecosystem.

So just buy a bunch of coins, and keep the wallet safe. I recommend you make an account at blockchain.info/wallet. Then make a backup using the Paper Wallet option at that site. Once you have the paper wallet printed out, put it in a bank safety deposit box (or make 2 copies and put them in different places). Once you're confident in your wallet backups, then send the Bitcoins there and sleep soundly at night.
Raralith (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 01:21:21 AM

OK, good advice, thanks again for your help.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 01:24:20 AM

If you're just going to hold them, paper wallets are a good idea too.  At the very least store your wallet.dat on a computer with an airgap.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
teek

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 02:26:46 AM

https://glbse.com/asset/view/TEEK.A

obviously biased because i run the asset, but your BTC is safe unless I'm dead (and probably still safe even then)

teek
mr_gant

Activity: 18

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 03:32:49 AM

Aside from the other suggestions, CDs are still giving very good returns, though obviously a little risky. Avoid anything marked PPT if you're worried about risk. Smiley
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 09:41:30 PM

You could check out a GBF Tongue
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74975.0
Obviously bias so I am not going to say anything else Tongue
You can make up your own mind Smiley
Otherwise I recommend unless you want to spend tons of time on researching and such, don't touch GLBSE.
Go with deposits and bonds that you can find under the lending part of the forum Smiley
//DeaDTerra
moparguy528

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 02:22:00 AM

You invest in mining companies...granted I am biased...i have and FPGA bond that pays well (though not as good as pirates and associates PPT bonds)....but at least there is good solid interests from my bonds.

Check out https://glbse.com/asset/view/FPGAMINING
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2012, 04:58:24 AM

You may want to consider fixed-interest deposits on the forum, here's an overview of them. Rates are about 2% per week.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: