Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:45:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: my story, Thoughts on BFL  (Read 3140 times)
pusle

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 07:42:07 AM

People talk about the resale value separating GPU from FPGA/ASIC. 
Much more important is the divide between GPU/FPGA vs ASIC when it comes to reprogramming.

P2P Crypto currencies are here to stay, Bitcoin, Bitcoin 2.0 or something else. They will need hashing power.
I will spend my money building general purpose computing power since profit maximizing isn't what drives me.

Sure I might buy some ASICs too at some point but knowing that it's betting on just one horse.
Even bitcoin might change algorithm if threatened.
Being future proof is worth something even to non-idealists hedging in the market.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
squall1066 (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 08:07:19 AM

People talk about the resale value separating GPU from FPGA/ASIC. 
Much more important is the divide between GPU/FPGA vs ASIC when it comes to reprogramming.

P2P Crypto currencies are here to stay, Bitcoin, Bitcoin 2.0 or something else. They will need hashing power.
I will spend my money building general purpose computing power since profit maximizing isn't what drives me.

Sure I might buy some ASICs too at some point but knowing that it's betting on just one horse.
Even bitcoin might change algorithm if threatened.
Being future proof is worth something even to non-idealists hedging in the market.

Ahh Thanks for bring this topic back into focus, Someone else who isn't driven 100% by profit, After giving tis more thought since thread started, I think I will have to do thi plan:-

1) keep the GPU's mining
2) get a jalapeno (this will tripple my hasing power and at less than a price of a GPU)
3) Even get a FPGA of some other make (to have some variation)

Running the three things will keep me mining, Keep me supporting the network, and as you said, not betting on just one horse.
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2012, 09:43:55 AM

Using all this hardware and software to mine bitcoins, is not easy or simple once you start moving away from GPU's and guiminer.
Sure It could be easier, but It also slows down progress as things change and need improving.
The key to remember, it's not impossible, others are doing it, so nothing is stopping you from doing it.
I do mean nothing, if you think their is something, it's you. You choose not to.

It is very rewarding, when you do these more difficult tasks and I don't mean in any finiancial way.
I find it great to look at it and just go, I did that. It works and it was damn hard to get working.

People are willing to help if you are polite and ask specific questions.
Their are also a fair amount of instructions and step-by-step guides for most of it out their.
It does sound very technical, but don't be afraid to ask questions. Google is a great asset also.

However their are many ways to make your mark in bitcoin, as has already been mentioned.
Keep learning it is possible for anyway, given enough time and patience to learn;
how to use Linux, how to compile a program and to command line start a program with specific prompts.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: