Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:36:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] Strato's Antminer S5 Vertical Mounting Setup Guide - Updated Photo/Video  (Read 17228 times)
HolgerDansk

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 06:46:40 AM

My PCI cables almost, sometimes feel a hint warm.  Yeah, a good sign. 

Just by turning mine vertical, dropped a few degrees.  Thank you Strato!

Did you arrange like Strato with box fan underneath or just turned them upright with enough air to breathe?

I have not done a box fan yet.  My S5's are setup next to a window and it's winter here.  So mine are vertical blowing down (opposite of Strato's way), since the cold outside air pours in from above them.

I expect during summer to change to blowing up with a box fan underneath.

It did make a difference to turn them vertical, period.   Smiley  Even though mine are reverse of the guide.

Thanks Strato!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kminer

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 08:17:35 PM

with only a single Delta AFB1212SHE Replacement Fan.  

Strato

Could you please specify which one exactly?

Delta AFB1212SHE-F00
or
Delta AFB1212SHE-CF00

there is a bit of a difference, ~40cfm and ~400rpm

I went with the F-00 (because I was unaware of the other) and it seems to be quite alright.

Gemstone, aren't both of those 3 wire fans? It looks like only the CF00 model reaches 190.5 CFM and all other models are 151.8 CFM.

Did you pick it into the 4 pin fan connector and loose any function, or did you just rewire them? If so, could you provide details?

Prior to reading your post, I was looking at the AFB1212SHE-PWM model number because they already include the 4-pin connector.

Thanks
pokeyjones

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 04:28:08 AM

Interested by the vertical setup mounting guide, been looking through this thread.

Is there ever a picture of this rig, or was this just something thought up?
HolgerDansk

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 04:46:55 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2015, 05:10:11 AM by HolgerDansk

Interested by the vertical setup mounting guide, been looking through this thread.

Yes.. Check out this specific message from Philip that has a number of pictures
pokeyjones

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 04:59:02 AM

[quote link=topic=945775.msg10385745#msg10385745 date=1423313447]here
[/quote]

Is that a "treasure map" to the long lost pictures?
HolgerDansk

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:03:40 AM

[/quote]

Grin I was editing the message to get it to link to the exact post.  Not elegant, but this quote works
Click the link above
pokeyjones

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:09:15 AM

Grin I was editing the message to get it to link to the exact post.  Not elegant, but this quote works
Click the link above
[/quote]

Ahh... I see!

Should've clarified! Strato posted a guide, down to what size rack (heheh) you would need. Are there any pictures of that multi-miner vertical setup with a box fan as instructed? Or, was that just someone's ideas?
HolgerDansk

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:12:43 AM

Should've clarified! Strato posted a guide, down to what size rack (heheh) you would need. Are there any pictures of that multi-miner vertical setup with a box fan as instructed? Or, was that just someone's ideas?

Strato has done it and was going to post some pics of his setup.
This is a simple outline / guide on how we are running our Antminer S5 Units in clusters of 6 with no overheating issues and a decent overclock

I only have 2 units on a wire rack, just standing on end loose (not tied down).  No problems for mine.
pokeyjones

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:44:41 AM

Strato has done it and was going to post some pics of his setup.
This is a simple outline / guide on how we are running our Antminer S5 Units in clusters of 6 with no overheating issues and a decent overclock

I only have 2 units on a wire rack, just standing on end loose (not tied down).  No problems for mine.

So the answer is no.

I don't know if putting a box fan right in the face of the intake fans is a good idea. You can't pressurize water, so a duo-prop setup will work. What a fan needs to operate optimally, I thought, was abundant air that the blades can bite into.

What I've done is use a vertical wire rack and a small tornado fan to create a low pressure at the open window by the fan intakes. The exhaust fan helps create this, and the exhaust from the miners blows across to the outtake fan's area.

Kinda proud of it and it works thus far. You can see a table leg (my desk) which keeps the heat from escaping up. I think.

would love to look with a really good thermal image processor to see what's really going on.

Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 09:14:07 AM

Photos - finally... I took a number of these during one of the rig builds - so it shows them in progress (4 miners; then 6 with missing PSUs).

We ran 4 Clusters of 6 Units: Total of 24 Miners.

In regards to the effectiveness of the box fan: Yes; temperatures rise when the fan is turned off.

The fan - as depicted in the photos, does not sit flush with the intake fans of the S5 units; rather there is a good 4-5 inches of clearance inbetween.

The box fan, on just the low speed setting keeps air actively circulating around the miners, the sides, etc. It seems to reduce traps of hot air that can form.

PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE CONFIGURATION

Hopefully others have also have had good results using this method as well. Our miners were able to run at room temperature and stay in the 55C range with no issues using this above setup (Also see first post of this thread for diagram).

Cheers!

Strato
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 12:34:35 PM

Uploaded a Video showing the 6 rig setups at various stages of being assembled.

Also the video shows the sound quality/difference of the Delta Fan Mods we did - vs the stock Bitmain Fans.

Video Here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W1Ep_KDPO8

Cheers!

Strato
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2015, 03:19:02 PM

You could get better cooling if you enclose the underside of each miner, maybe 3-4 ºC additional of cooling (i've tested, it does a great difference).

mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 04:22:14 PM

miners next to each other and ducting the big fan from the bottom....
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 07:29:16 PM

You could get better cooling if you enclose the underside of each miner, maybe 3-4 ºC additional of cooling (i've tested, it does a great difference).

You are getting temps of 46 C? Our miners (which have since been shutdown and sold) - were running at a stable 50 C.

Cheers,

Strato
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2015, 08:12:24 PM

I referred to this:

Our miners were able to run at room temperature and stay in the 55C range with no issues using this above setup

I tested both with the bottom open and closed, and the change is about 3-4 ºc... so i was getting around the same temps you're reporting Smiley

However, i live on a tropical country, and if i leave the bottom opened, i run around 55-60ºc easily.

opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2015, 08:58:54 PM

I wish I had a bread rack to test this at home. Now that the temps are getting warmer I closed windows and stuck a 12BTU AC in the window, which I was going to do anyway since my Central AC took a dump on me. Yea, it is real nice having Central AC, but I get better cooling with window AC units and can shut them off in parts of the house. Save a little electricity. Trying to think what else besides a break rack like that will work that I have at home already? Right now I have all my S5's on a long 10 foot table with the power supplies. Temps are fine, but if I could lower the AC even more while still keeping the S5 temps that would be even better. I did have a slew of power supplies so each one of my S5's has it's own 1000 watt PSU. I could over clock all of them if I want. Two of them are RM1000's, one of them is an HX1000i, and the rest EVGA G2 1000.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 11:51:40 PM

I wish I had a bread rack to test this at home. Now that the temps are getting warmer I closed windows and stuck a 12BTU AC in the window, which I was going to do anyway since my Central AC took a dump on me. Yea, it is real nice having Central AC, but I get better cooling with window AC units and can shut them off in parts of the house. Save a little electricity. Trying to think what else besides a break rack like that will work that I have at home already? Right now I have all my S5's on a long 10 foot table with the power supplies. Temps are fine, but if I could lower the AC even more while still keeping the S5 temps that would be even better. I did have a slew of power supplies so each one of my S5's has it's own 1000 watt PSU. I could over clock all of them if I want. Two of them are RM1000's, one of them is an HX1000i, and the rest EVGA G2 1000.

I would recommend working out a way to vent the heat from the miners out rather than battle the heat they put out with an AC unit.

You could hit home depot; get a package of dryer hose (it's 5" in diameter) - and rig it somehow with a pull fan on the end which leads outside. They also sell dryer hose joints - like a Y joint - so you could conceivably have multiple hoses running to 1 or 2 output channels. Then use a 5" fan in pull mode so essentially its a vacuum effect - where the inlets are near the outputs of the miners sucking in the hot air and piping it outside.

Just my two cents if it's a big problem - as temperatures are only going to continue to rise moving forward.

Strato
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 2111

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 02:26:54 PM

You stop being able to hear it after a while, its surprising what level of noise can become the baseline. Its also a lot easier because miner noise is perfectly level.

Please consider whether you might be damaging your hearing. You might want to try and borrow a sound level meter.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:54:02 PM

and with only a single Delta AFB1212SHE

any of those push quite a bit more air than the stock Delta on an S5, THAT is where your ability to keep them cool is originating, NOT the "vertical" setup.

The one advantage the vertical setup might have is pulling cooler air from the floor level - depends on how well ventilated the room they're in is in if that's a real factor or not, and HOW the room is ventilated in some cases.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 06:52:02 AM

Just getting back from a crypto hiatus... In regards to the fan: I think the CFM of the stock vs Delta AFBSHE1212 Fan is roughly the same. The big difference is noise.

However, yes of course taking air in from as close to the floor as possible would likely draw the coolest air in the room.

Hot air also rises... And the radiator fins on the S5 being Horizontal in standard setup mode may in fact also contribute to higher temps.

Regardless, this setup worked really well for us.

We sold off all our S5s a while back (Wish we had kept a few).

Just to note, were about to post in the marketplace about 1/2 of our S3+ Units up for sale. All run great and are super clean.

Weve finally finished our move... I dont have the AC Power to run them all.

Cheers!

Strato
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: