Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:09:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to rent multiple GPU linux server for hash cracking (oclhashcat)  (Read 4641 times)
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 01:46:45 PM

I'm looking for a hash cracking server to use as needed. If anyone has extra gpus laying around and wants to build one, i can assist with the setup. I would prefer a box thats already setup to do this.

I'm not sure what payment would be for this, but we can discuss a reasonable rental fee. Hit me up

Thanks

*edit*

Don't be scared by the word 'server', any computer with the hashing power is fine with me, it doesn't have to be in a pretty rackmount case or in a datacenter.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 02:47:22 PM

What level of video card hardware would this setup require ? and how many cards ? Would Windows work ?

lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 02:55:02 PM

What level of video card hardware would this setup require ? and how many cards ? Would Windows work ?

I have never used windows for this purpose, so I'm not sure. I assume theres software for windows to do what I need.

As far as cards go, it's pretty much on par with bitcoin mining. So if you have like 4x 6990 or something, that would be pretty quick
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 03:13:32 PM

I have never used windows for this purpose, so I'm not sure. I assume theres software for windows to do what I need.

As far as cards go, it's pretty much on par with bitcoin mining. So if you have like 4x 6990 or something, that would be pretty quick

So...
Would:
- Xeon i7/LGA1366 Quad Core (no HT)
- 6GB RAM
- 60GB SSD
- 5x 5830s
- Win7 x64
......using a VNC Remote Desktop Interface (as MS TS/RDP renders the video cards useless) on a [100Mbit down/5Mbit up] internet connection work for this ?

The machine described is a spare that simply lacks power and an OS installation.

Would 5x 5830s be too slow ?

max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 03:26:43 PM

If i would make more with this than with mining, for sure i am in if the price is right.
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 03:43:37 PM

So...
Would:
- 6GB RAM
- 60GB SSD
- 5x 5830s
- Win7 x64
......using a VNC Remote Desktop Interface (as MS TS/RDP renders the video cards useless) on a [100Mbit down/5Mbit up] internet connection work for this ?

The machine described is a spare that simply lacks power and an OS installation.

Yeah that would be pretty good. I guess what I'm looking for is the person that has the fastest cards laying around.

http://golubev.com/gpuest.htm

that should give you an idea of hashing power for all models. So far I've been offered 3x 5870s and 5x 5830s, which if my math is correct, are about the same speed. I'm kind of hoping someone has some 6990s or equivalent laying around.
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 03:48:50 PM

If i would make more with this than with mining, for sure i am in if the price is right.

You could mine and crack hashes on the same box. Youd just have to pause your mining while im cracking hashes, then you can resume again. Once my lists are finished, you are free to mine with the hardware. It's dual purpose Smiley
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:08:35 PM

So...
Would:
- 6GB RAM
- 60GB SSD
- 5x 5830s
- Win7 x64

Yeah that would be pretty good. I guess what I'm looking for is the person that has the fastest cards laying around.

that should give you an idea of hashing power for all models. So far I've been offered 3x 5870s and 5x 5830s, which if my math is correct, are about the same speed. I'm kind of hoping someone has some 6990s or equivalent laying around.

I also have machines with 5x 7970s....but I mine with them.

Will this be a 24hr straight 'thing' ? or can you log into a miner, remotely, kill CGMiner, run what you need, then start the miner back up when you exit ?

lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:09:17 PM

So...
Would:
- 6GB RAM
- 60GB SSD
- 5x 5830s
- Win7 x64

I also have machines with 5x 7970s....but I mine with them.

Will this be a 24hr straight 'thing' ? or can you log into a miner, remotely, kill CGMiner, run what you need, then start the miner back up when you exit ?

that would be IDEAL.

try to see if u can get oclhashcat to run, if it runs we are golden.

http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat-plus/
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:17:51 PM

I've never used this software before. What should I try, to test it, or 'run' it ?

lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:19:19 PM

I've never used this software before. What should I try, to test it, or 'run' it ?

just try to launch the app, make sure it can see all gpus.
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:27:00 PM

First try....
Machine just locked up solid on black screen... If this is the result of custom GPU clock settings, this idea won't work unfortunately, as the machine will have to be rebooted remotely (which we never know if it even will without stalling) after shutting down the Miner app and to get clocks etc back to normal for this.

Let me play around with this on a couple machines and see what I find out.

lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:29:40 PM

First try....
Machine just locked up solid on black screen... If this is the result of custom GPU clock settings, this idea won't work unfortunately, as the machine will have to be rebooted remotely (which we never know if it even will without stalling) after shutting down the Miner app and to get clocks etc back to normal for this.

I dont think it has to be on stock clocks. Let me ask around.
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:34:30 PM

First try....

For reference....My mem clocks were cranked WAY down and all cards undervolted overall (if that helps).

cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 05:36:01 PM

I'm looking for a hash cracking server to use as needed. If anyone has extra gpus laying around and wants to build one, i can assist with the setup. I would prefer a box thats already setup to do this.

I'm not sure what payment would be for this, but we can discuss a reasonable rental fee. Hit me up

Thanks

*edit*

Don't be scared by the word 'server', any computer with the hashing power is fine with me, it doesn't have to be in a pretty rackmount case or in a datacenter.

I have a Scorpius system that is barely doing anything these days

Zambezi 8 Core 3.6 Bulldozer cpu
2 x 6990's
16gb ram
ssd, ssd cache drive
the whole nine yards

it would be ideal for what you are looking to do...

pm me and let me know what you have in mind, this sounds interesting
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:41:40 PM

First try....

For reference....My mem clocks were cranked WAY down and all cards undervolted overall (if that helps).

i sent a pm to the guy that wrote the app. he should get back to me soon.
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:52:03 PM

Also, i see there is a windows version of this app. So windows guys dont be scurred.
needbmw
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:27:10 PM

You can rent hashing power with a bunch of online services.

NO PSAKING!
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:36:10 PM

Probably set the CGMiner intensity to dynamic, that way you can mine and give priority to oclhashcat when lolwut needs it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: