Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:44:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lower Income Populations More Likely To Adopt Bitcoin  (Read 605 times)
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 07:22:59 PM

According to CoinTelegraph:

The 2014 Survey of Bitcoin Polling, was released earlier this week by the Bitcoin Knowledge, Use, and Opinion (BitKOU) project. The report suggests that lower-income populations are more likely to adopt Bitcoin, and recommends greater effort on building knowledge and trust among general publics.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113446/survey-lower-income-populations-are-more-likely-to-adopt-bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 07:27:17 PM

The 2014 Survey of Bitcoin Polling, was released earlier this week by the Bitcoin Knowledge, Use, and Opinion (BitKOU) project. The report suggests that lower-income populations are more likely to adopt Bitcoin, and recommends greater effort on building knowledge and trust among general publics.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113446/survey-lower-income-populations-are-more-likely-to-adopt-bitcoin

I always thought one of the nicest things about bitcoin, is all you need is a wallet address, and they're free.

With banks, it's often required that you deposit a certain amount of money to start your account, like $50 - $100 minimums. With Bitcoin, someone who has nothing, can get a wallet for free, and start earning money for free with faucets or being tipped, or even doing free lance jobs. They'll never have to pay anything, except a very tiny fee (compared to banks/credit cards) when they go to buy something with what they've saved up.

It's very liberating for those with very little money to start with.
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:05:56 PM

I always thought one of the nicest things about bitcoin, is all you need is a wallet address, and they're free.

With banks, it's often required that you deposit a certain amount of money to start your account, like $50 - $100 minimums. With Bitcoin, someone who has nothing, can get a wallet for free, and start earning money for free with faucets or being tipped, or even doing free lance jobs. They'll never have to pay anything, except a very tiny fee (compared to banks/credit cards) when they go to buy something with what they've saved up.

Banks have big fees and can go bankrupt.
TheDreadPirateDickstein

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:37:40 PM

This is a bunch of permabull garbage.

The answer to this question is......no.....this is not an asset for the poor.....this is an asset for people who know how to use it and put it to PROPER use.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    delicia | delicia.io    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Global Food Network | World's Only Solution to Food Wastage | Join Whitelist Now, Get 30% Bonus
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Whitepaper | Telegram | Medium | Twitter | FB | ANN    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:02:24 AM

The answer to this question is......no.....this is not an asset for the poor.....this is an asset for people who know how to use it and put it to PROPER use.
Well, if you are in a shit tier country that has at least a half decent connection, you could be making way above minimum wage from sig campaigns alone, this within itself a revolution.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:12:13 AM

It is an asset for people that have knowledge but are cut off from good jobs  and from the main banking system(there are such people for example is eastern europe and india).
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:23:09 AM

Really? I'm not sure the people surveyed were fully representative of the general public.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:31:19 AM

This makes sense. Just look at m-pesa in Africa. BTC is a good alternative.
TheDreadPirateDickstein

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:39:13 AM

Well, if you are in a shit tier country that has at least a half decent connection, you could be making way above minimum wage from sig campaigns alone, this within itself a revolution.

Like DR......they 90% computer illiterate. Get with the program habibi. This is not a valid use for the overall success of BTC.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    delicia | delicia.io    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Global Food Network | World's Only Solution to Food Wastage | Join Whitelist Now, Get 30% Bonus
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Whitepaper | Telegram | Medium | Twitter | FB | ANN    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 01:29:30 AM

The volatility in bitcoin has to be eliminated for adoption by people who are struggling to making ends meet.

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
Cryptonitex

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 01:44:42 AM

You can easily lose cash, misplace it, or it get stolen just as easy... Or, waste your time, pay interest to cash in paychecks for cash. All in all, cash isn't worth it. I don't even know what to do with the cash I have, just take it to the bank, because paying with plastic is easier than cash.

Banks do have a limit on how much you are insured. Something like $100,000, and if your lower income, 6 digits will never be in a bank anyway, they'll be lucky to have 4 digits let alone 3.

I'm not trying to reign on BitCoin, but banks are still the better option. It's more convient to pay with plastic. Get a BitCoin card, that'll solve many problems. That's where I wanna see the market.
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 01:55:35 AM

You can easily lose cash, misplace it, or it get stolen just as easy... Or, waste your time, pay interest to cash in paychecks for cash. All in all, cash isn't worth it. I don't even know what to do with the cash I have, just take it to the bank, because paying with plastic is easier than cash.

Banks do have a limit on how much you are insured. Something like $100,000, and if your lower income, 6 digits will never be in a bank anyway, they'll be lucky to have 4 digits let alone 3.

I'm not trying to reign on BitCoin, but banks are still the better option. It's more convient to pay with plastic. Get a BitCoin card, that'll solve many problems. That's where I wanna see the market.

For the few people who got those Xapo debit cards (and you can't get them in the US for now at least), they can pay for things with bitcoin using a card already.
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 02:39:42 PM

This makes sense. Just look at m-pesa in Africa. BTC is a good alternative.

I agree. Legacy technology can be leap frogged and these populations can adopt Bitcoin.
You don't need deep banking penetration. A mobile phone with internet connection will do.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: