Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:32:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 bitcoins. Will I be a millionaire by 2020?  (Read 77290 times)
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3801

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:23:00 PM

YES.

Bitcoin went from 1$ to 1000$ in 5 years.
It will go from 1000$ to 1000000$ in the next 5 years because of the universal law of speculative extrapolation.

100 BTC by 2020 will make you filthy rich. The problem with those kinds of riches is that most people think they don't deserve such wealth so they will make every mistake possible to remain poor.

nice prediction Grin
let's start sell your gold, crypto stock, forex stock and all of your money to buy bitcoin Roll Eyes

The universal law of speculative extrapolation, LOL.

My idea that bitcoin can reach $1000 to $10,000 in 2021 is not based on the idea that bitcoin will do what it did in the past (i.e. have speculative bubbles). It's based on the combination of the daily mining reward halving a few times and the (proven) black market economy and remittance activity continuing their rapid growth.

Supply diminishes while demand goes up. Squeezed from both sides. It's a pincer movement.

If bitcoin can go sideways at 250 with 3600 coins produced per day, then it can go sideways at $1000 with 900 coins produced per day. And if bitcoin violently rejects sub 210 prices today, whereas it violently rejected sub $70 prices after April 2013, that indicates that bitcoin's non-speculative economy is rapidly growing. The number of listings and number of unique sellers on the dark net markets has massively increased. I keep an eye on these things.

So for me, $1000 is a conservative guess for 2021. It assumes that we just go sideways and everything else remains the same.
$10,000 is possible if everything goes "well" (bitcoin's non-speculative economy grows 10x over the next 6 years and the dollar loses strength).

The optimistic scenario makes your 100 BTC holder a millionaire. Of course, IF a bubble situation happens amidst the fundamental decrease in supply and the growth of non-speculative use, then the price can overshoot $1,000 significantly. But that's not what I'm counting on.

The stars-aligning scenario is where everything goes well for bitcoin (establishing a fair value of $10,000) AND the price overshoots. Then you could be looking at a short-term value of ... well, you can think about it.

I don't think that buying from greeks contributed a major proportion of the current increase, anyway.
I don't like to extrapolate so much from a mere 20% pop, but current situation is quite interesting from many angles.
One-what does it mean in a current society to "have" money if such money durability and utility depends on some arcane negotiating tactics of a government that is not even in control of a currency, like in Greece.
Perhaps, we will have some kind of crystallization of this thought throughout at least a part of "opinion leaders" and we will see many more voices re bitcoin utility.
Things can go on from there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SmartIphone
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:28:04 PM

By this trend i dont think millionare but make good money YES
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 12:07:04 AM

YES.

Bitcoin went from 1$ to 1000$ in 5 years.
It will go from 1000$ to 1000000$ in the next 5 years because of the universal law of speculative extrapolation.

100 BTC by 2020 will make you filthy rich. The problem with those kinds of riches is that most people think they don't deserve such wealth so they will make every mistake possible to remain poor.

nice prediction Grin
let's start sell your gold, crypto stock, forex stock and all of your money to buy bitcoin Roll Eyes

The universal law of speculative extrapolation, LOL.

My idea that bitcoin can reach $1000 to $10,000 in 2021 is not based on the idea that bitcoin will do what it did in the past (i.e. have speculative bubbles). It's based on the combination of the daily mining reward halving a few times and the (proven) black market economy and remittance activity continuing their rapid growth.

Supply diminishes while demand goes up. Squeezed from both sides. It's a pincer movement.

If bitcoin can go sideways at 250 with 3600 coins produced per day, then it can go sideways at $1000 with 900 coins produced per day. And if bitcoin violently rejects sub 210 prices today, whereas it violently rejected sub $70 prices after April 2013, that indicates that bitcoin's non-speculative economy is rapidly growing. The number of listings and number of unique sellers on the dark net markets has massively increased. I keep an eye on these things.

So for me, $1000 is a conservative guess for 2021. It assumes that we just go sideways and everything else remains the same.
$10,000 is possible if everything goes "well" (bitcoin's non-speculative economy grows 10x over the next 6 years and the dollar loses strength).

The optimistic scenario makes your 100 BTC holder a millionaire. Of course, IF a bubble situation happens amidst the fundamental decrease in supply and the growth of non-speculative use, then the price can overshoot $1,000 significantly. But that's not what I'm counting on.

The stars-aligning scenario is where everything goes well for bitcoin (establishing a fair value of $10,000) AND the price overshoots. Then you could be looking at a short-term value of ... well, you can think about it.

I don't think that buying from greeks contributed a major proportion of the current increase, anyway.
I don't like to extrapolate so much from a mere 20% pop, but current situation is quite interesting from many angles.
One-what does it mean in a current society to "have" money if such money durability and utility depends on some arcane negotiating tactics of a government that is not even in control of a currency, like in Greece.
Perhaps, we will have some kind of crystallization of this thought throughout at least a part of "opinion leaders" and we will see many more voices re bitcoin utility.
Things can go on from there.

Yes, there is always the possibility that a few million millionaires around the world will finally realize that all their stocks, currency, bonds, paper gold, etc. can easily and instantly be taken from them, and that bitcoin can't. But this realization is one that may not dawn on them in 1 year or even 20 years. It is such a terrifying thought that most people, even financially sophisticated people, don't fully acknowledge it. Or maybe they think they'll be safe because they have some money in the Cayman Islands. Ask Mikhail Khodorkovsky how safe his shares of Yukos Oil were. How safe his billions were. He had tons of power and political allies. He must've thought he was untouchable. Ask him where his billions went. If bitcoin becomes recognized by the worlds top 0.1% as the only sure way that they can preserve their wealth, then the sky is the limit. Bitcoin's price would be astronomical. But I'm not holding my breath. I think people will watch their wealth be stolen and their economies fall apart over and over because human beings are simply not very intelligent. So even if the euro goes extinct, they'll just create new government currencies and we will repeat the entire cycle again.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
bank of bits

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 12:34:44 AM

I think you could very well be a millionaire with 100 BTC. One thing you could try to do is trade the major waves, to increase your holdings even further - but please keep in mind that you may also lose your BTC very quickly by doing so.
mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 05:24:08 AM

But, again imho, when BTC is going up to 1000USD you will sell 10-20 BTC, then on 2000 you will sell again 10-20 BTC...etc

IOTA
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:09:10 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2015, 10:37:14 AM by Amph

I don't think people apprehend the amount of money sloshing around

frankly 1M does not buy so much anymore....barely a house in a decent capital city.

To me this say btc can go way higher than 10K each.

100K ~ 1M looks about right.

well it depend what kind of house you want, if i can live with something that is 65 square meters, it will not coost me too much, worst case 100k if it is a good house

so 1M is more than enough, unless you want to spend those in useless bitches and yacht

like it was pointed out, bitcoin will prove itself by 2024, when the supply will count basically zero, and demand will be stronger as a result

You keep having delusions about the mining supply. Why would demand be stronger just because there is less mining supply? In fact, it'll be a huge challenge at that time, because with such a low mining reward, how many miners will remain? Will they be able to keep the blockchain secure enough?

I would say that bitcoin HAS to succeed before then, in order for it to survive. If bitcoin isn't sufficiently valuable and/or there is not enough transaction volume to allow for a decent mining reward, bitcoin cannot survive, because the network will not be secure enough.

What will drive demand is some sort of a or a few killer apps using bitcoin technology, easier access to bitcoin (KYC turns off a lot of people) and a better understanding of bitcoin in the general population.

what you are talking about? it is clear like the sun that if the demand stay the same and supply reward will be halved the price MUST GO UP, there is no other alternative, this is a simple logic

this is one of the worst scenario, where demand isn't going up, then you have the scenario where demand going up because of killer app like you said, and then the scenario where it go down, those are only possible scenario

miners will keep mining because their efficiency will be greater, this is a reason why satoshi settled the halving every 4 years to give time to the technology to advance
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:46:53 AM

what you are talking about? it is clear like the sun that if the demand stay the same and supply reward will be halved the price MUST GO UP, there is no other alternative, this is a simple logic

this is one of the worst scenario, where demand isn't going up, then you have the cenario where demand going up because of killer app like you said, and then the scenario where it go down, those are only possible scenario

miners will keep mining because their efficiency will be greater, this is a reason why satoshi settled the halving every 4 years to give time to the technology to advance

In the first place, we don't know how much bitcoins is being dumped everyday, at all. There's no data on this. We don't know how many miners are holding, and we don't know how many early adopters are cashing out. It is quite likely that even today, miners dumping only makes up a small fraction of the daily bitcoin transactions, making it quite insignificant. After all, there are over 10 million bitcoins, to think that a few thousand coins can change the price by thousands of percents is just silly.

Furthermore, assuming that demand stays the same is also incredibly silly. Demand will NOT stay the same. The vast majority of the demand currently is for trading and speculation. If it's shown that bitcoin does not have traction with any real world uses, then demand will fall. Furthermore, because mining rewards won't be sufficient, there will be problems with the network security, further pushing down the price.

Again, bitcoin HAS TO succeed BEFORE the mining rewards become insignificant. That's the only way for bitcoin to succeed. Otherwise, it'll die out.

The only other possibility is if some companies/banks will use the blockchain as a purely B2B database type thing, and they'll invest money to keep it secure, without caring for the actual bitcoins. In this scenario, it's possible bitcoin doesn't go to <$10 nor does it go "to the moon".
jehst

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:36:06 AM

In the first place, we don't know how much bitcoins is being dumped everyday, at all. There's no data on this. We don't know how many miners are holding, and we don't know how many early adopters are cashing out. It is quite likely that even today, miners dumping only makes up a small fraction of the daily bitcoin transactions, making it quite insignificant.

People don't get that it doesn't really matter whether the coins are kept, sold on Bitfinex, sold privately, or whatever. The bitcoin economy as a whole has to absorb that reward in any case. Someone has to buy the coins. If the miner keeps them, then he himself is buying the coins. We can't pretend those coins aren't sucking something out of the BTC economy because if there were no block reward, he would have to buy existing coins to maintain his BTC income.  

After all, there are over 10 million bitcoins, to think that a few thousand coins can change the price by thousands of percents is just silly.

Thousands of bitcoins do change the price in an "all else being equal" scenario. In a situation where we would be going sideways with equal buying and selling interest, the block reward breaks the tie and sends us lower.

Year 2021
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:43:31 AM

this is one of the worst scenario, where demand isn't going up, then you have the cenario where demand going up because of killer app like you said, and then the scenario where it go down, those are only possible scenario

In the first place, we don't know how much bitcoins is being dumped everyday, at all. There's no data on this. We don't know how many miners are holding, and we don't know how many early adopters are cashing out. It is quite likely that even today, miners dumping only makes up a small fraction of the daily bitcoin transactions, making it quite insignificant. After all, there are over 10 million bitcoins, to think that a few thousand coins can change the price by thousands of percents is just silly.

Furthermore, assuming that demand stays the same is also incredibly silly. Demand will NOT stay the same. The vast majority of the demand currently is for trading and speculation. If it's shown that bitcoin does not have traction with any real world uses, then demand will fall. Furthermore, because mining rewards won't be sufficient, there will be problems with the network security, further pushing down the price.

Again, bitcoin HAS TO succeed BEFORE the mining rewards become insignificant. That's the only way for bitcoin to succeed. Otherwise, it'll die out.

The only other possibility is if some companies/banks will use the blockchain as a purely B2B database type thing, and they'll invest money to keep it secure, without caring for the actual bitcoins. In this scenario, it's possible bitcoin doesn't go to <$10 nor does it go "to the moon".

no one know this, and this is way i'm taking into account all possible scenario, speculation if done right must be done, by taking into account every possible future of what you're speculating about

there are not more chances that the demand will go down instead of going up for example, same ratio, simply because those variables are unknown, you can't say that it will go down for sure like i can't say that it will go up for sure

but what we know is, if you do not consider the demand because it is unknown, thus you can't consider it, if it is unknown, it is evident that for every halving the price will rise, it is really a simple concept
jehst

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:02:14 AM

But, again imho, when BTC is going up to 1000USD you will sell 10-20 BTC, then on 2000 you will sell again 10-20 BTC...etc

Yeah, probably.

Year 2021
futureofbitcoin

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 03:24:20 PM

no one know this, and this is way i'm taking into account all possible scenario, speculation if done right must be done, by taking into account every possible future of what you're speculating about

there are not more chances that the demand will go down instead of going up for example, same ratio, simply because those variables are unknown, you can't say that it will go down for sure like i can't say that it will go up for sure

but what we know is, if you do not consider the demand because it is unknown, thus you can't consider it, if it is unknown, it is evident that for every halving the price will rise, it is really a simple concept

You aren't taking into account all possible scenarios, you are taking a default that the demand WON'T change, and that every other variable WILL remain constant. Which is completely silly because that's impossible. We don't know whether demand will go up or down, it's probably a 50/50. But we do know that it will NOT remain constant or near constant, that's just not possible. So to assume that as the default is silly.

Any change in demand will far out shadow the effects of mining rewards.

People don't get that it doesn't really matter whether the coins are kept, sold on Bitfinex, sold privately, or whatever. The bitcoin economy as a whole has to absorb that reward in any case. Someone has to buy the coins. If the miner keeps them, then he himself is buying the coins. We can't pretend those coins aren't sucking something out of the BTC economy because if there were no block reward, he would have to buy existing coins to maintain his BTC income.  

After all, there are over 10 million bitcoins, to think that a few thousand coins can change the price by thousands of percents is just silly.

Thousands of bitcoins do change the price in an "all else being equal" scenario. In a situation where we would be going sideways with equal buying and selling interest, the block reward breaks the tie and sends us lower.
No. What YOU'RE not getting, is that there is money both going IN to bitcoin, and going OUT of bitcoin. For example, if everyday early adopters or people who lost faith in bitcoin after buying at the peak decide to completely exit and never come back, and sell $500,000,000 worth of bitcoins a day, and new investors are bringing in approximately $500,000,000 per day, the mining reward is hardly significant in changing the price, because it's such a small percentage of the daily change, probably a lot smaller than the daily variance.

Note that I'm not saying there is 500 million going in and out of bitcoin everyday. I'm using an extreme example to illustrate a point. We don't know how big a % of daily dumps mining rewards are. Because a previous investor exiting the bitcon economy should have the same effect as mining dumps, so what is the ratio of these things?

Again, all else being equal is normally a good way to isolate a variable, but in this case it is not realistic at all. But if it was, bitcoin would still not go up by thousands of percentage points by a few thousand btc a day, at least, it would take many, many years for that to happen. If everything were to stay absolutely constant in those years.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:08:27 PM

I think you could very well be a millionaire with 100 BTC. One thing you could try to do is trade the major waves, to increase your holdings even further - but please keep in mind that you may also lose your BTC very quickly by doing so.

Its only trend is to go up.

But, its just a matter of when right. So the millionaire thing can take another couple years down the road when we see no more bitcoins able to mine or something.

Imagine a whole country needs it to move their funds, and people need to pay a premium to move money. btw, when i say country i mean its citizens.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:53:51 PM

You aren't taking into account all possible scenarios, you are taking a default that the demand WON'T change, and that every other variable WILL remain constant. Which is completely silly because that's impossible. We don't know whether demand will go up or down, it's probably a 50/50. But we do know that it will NOT remain constant or near constant, that's just not possible. So to assume that as the default is silly.

well if it is 50/50 it's evident that it is like saying that it will remain costant in the end, you know...

but what i believe is that there are more chances to grow than to fall, because the halving will help us grow, that's all
futureofbitcoin

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 05:50:58 PM

well if it is 50/50 it's evident that it is like saying that it will remain costant in the end, you know...

but what i believe is that there are more chances to grow than to fall, because the halving will help us grow, that's all

Saying it's 50/50 has NOTHING to do with it remaining constant... There is absolutely no chance it will remain constant. The demand, not the price, I mean.

This is exactly what I have beef with. Sure, mining rewards might have a slight affect on the PRICE of bitcoin. I don't know how big a variable it is, with the thousands of other factors that goes into the pricing of bitcoins, but it is a factor. That I admit.

But there is absolutely NO REASON whatsoever, that reducing mining rewards will somehow help bitcoin grow. That is completely outrageous. People won't magically begin to accept bitcoins when the rewards are lower.

Even in terms of price, the halving won't necessarily help, again, because there are so many factors involved that we just don't know how big an affect mining reward has on the whole bitcoin economy. Furthermore, much of it is already priced into bitcoins, because it is a known event, not something that suddenly comes.

If anything, mining rewards might magnify the effects of demand. If bitcoin ends up succeeding, and demand growing, then halving the mining rewards will increase the price even more.

But if demand drops, as the mining reward halves, miners will lose incentive to mine, and the network will be less secure, causing the price to fall even more, in an endless cycle.

So mining rewards act as a multiplier rather than a simple increase or decrease mechanism.
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1505

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 05:56:05 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2015, 06:28:13 PM by yefi

Funny to hear BTC1000 mentioned. One could have already been a millionaire with that many, so I don't know why you'd be holding out now. Also, this number implies that Bitcoin will return to $1000 only to flap about in the wind like an old sock.

Yep, people have quite a "leaky" interpretation of the system.
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 06:29:31 PM

I see it to only grow as well.

Cause last time I checked gavin said all those issues with memory will be on its way to be fixed to 2mb or 20 mb i forget sooner then later situation.

Then again most people just think other wise, Im all towards that bitcoin is the only option or else what is?

futureofbitcoin

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 06:38:56 PM

Funny to hear BTC1000 mentioned. One could have already been a millionaire with that many, so I don't know why you'd be holding out now. Also, this number implies that Bitcoin will return to $1000 only to flap about in the wind like an old sock.

Which people are you referring to? If you're referring to me I suggest you read my explanations and rebute those points rather than ad hominem in this roundabout manner.
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1505

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:02:17 PM

Which people are you referring to? If you're referring to me I suggest you read my explanations and rebute those points rather than ad hominem in this roundabout manner.
lissandra

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:37:03 PM

by 2020 is only in 5 years.

if I see history, I feel like its`ll go through a similar process, but more events will happen since we are getting closer to halving situations and other stuff.

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:23:37 PM

by 2020 is only in 5 years.

if I see history, I feel like its`ll go through a similar process, but more events will happen since we are getting closer to halving situations and other stuff.

Maybe 2020 could be the year, have in mind the .com and domain boom happen in a 10 year expand most of the big companies now in 1990 where just beginning in a garage someone in the world, so 2009 begin of bitcoin 2020 could be a good year to claim.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: