Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:02:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Semantics of "fiat"  (Read 3923 times)
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 12:26:21 AM

That's right. I am also aware that the word is used nowadays to describe paper money.

Fiat paper money and bitcoin both have no value for direct use, that is probably the connection, but bitcoin is not fiat.

Then you do realize that this is an informal and highly inaccurate use of the term, and not the technical definition used by economists.

War is peace, my friend.

No, the technical definition is what I wrote above. And war is certainly not peace, why would you say that?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
amspir (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 12:35:22 AM

That's right. I am also aware that the word is used nowadays to describe paper money.

Fiat paper money and bitcoin both have no value for direct use, that is probably the connection, but bitcoin is not fiat.

Then you do realize that this is an informal and highly inaccurate use of the term, and not the technical definition used by economists.

War is peace, my friend.

No, the technical definition is what I wrote above. And war is certainly not peace, why would you say that?

The technical definition of a fiat currency is a currency with no intrinsic value, is it simply declared to be money (like US Dollars after Nixon's 1971 executive order, like bitcoin)   The use of fiat to mean "evil gubmit money" is a colloquialism used by some libertarians with roots in the US Dollar transition from a commodity-backed currency to a fiat currency.

"War is Peace" is a snarky example from the novel "1984" of what happens when words are redefined to further political rhetoric.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 01:23:20 AM

War is peace, my friend.

The technical definition of a fiat currency is a currency with no intrinsic value, is it simply declared to be money (like US Dollars after Nixon's 1971 executive order, like bitcoin)   The use of fiat to mean "evil gubmit money" is a colloquialism used by some libertarians with roots in the US Dollar transition from a commodity-backed currency to a fiat currency.

"War is Peace" is a snarky example from the novel "1984" of what happens when words are redefined to further political rhetoric.

War is not peace. Noone have "simply declared bitcoin to be money". It is not fiat.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:34:45 PM

Fiat : fake idiots are torn
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: