Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:53:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to acquire bitcoins if your under 18? Harder than you think :/  (Read 20794 times)
sc00bysnax (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 09:39:08 AM

Title pretty much explains it. I'm 17 and id like to know the easiest way I could get some BTC from the comfort of my home sitting in front of my computer. I have a debit / credit card and would like to know if there are any possible ways I can get some bitcoins. Just about every way you get bitcoins requires you to go through a site like dwolla or paypal or something of the nature and you have to be 18 to register on any major online banking / money transfer site and since most of them make you link your bank accounts or verify your CC info you cant get past the age requirement. I tried buying linden dollars through second life and transferring them in game to VirWox but anyone who knows this method probably knows about the risk API that flags new accounts. I even had a 2 year old account and was only able to transfer roughly 8000 linden which is about 5 bitcoins before it flagged me and I was no longer able too. I know I could try and buy from individual people certain ways but id like a trusted secure method if possible. Any input would be nice. Ive been trying to figure something out for a couple months with no luck. Ive made a few trips to the bank for cash deposits but the nearest bank is somewhat 40 minutes away and would just like a sit at home way to get my bitcoins. Any input would be great! Thanks guys, have a good one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 09:42:51 AM

localbitcoins.com - solution to all of the worlds problems Wink

(if there are no traders in your area, just set up an advertisement, maybe someone will contact you soon)

sc00bysnax (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 09:49:06 AM

How exactly does that work? I went to the site and read the FAQ but im still a bit unsure as too how I actually make a transaction. I assume you have to meet the person face to face hence the reason they provide the distance of the seller/buyer? I hate to be picky but if thats the case then id rather find a different method to where I can just sit on my computer and buy bitcoins.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 09:54:37 AM

If you are interested in just buying bitcoin and not looking to withdraw anytime in the near future, you could use services such as http://www.bitinstant.com to deposit the money and then use exchanges like http://www.mtgox.com to buy the coins based on the credit that Bitinstant gives you from your deposit.

You could also use a service called http://www.bitfloor.com which is an exchange like MtGox but allows the user to deposit money at a local bank with no fees. All you do is walk in to the bank, fill out a deposit slip along with the bitfloor name, account number and amount you want to deposit. You give the slip and the money to the teller. No questions asked since you are giving money to the bank. Now if you wanted to take it out, that is another matter all together.

This should take care of your BUYING OF BITCOINS but not the SELLING. Start another subject if you want that answer Smiley

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 09:56:04 AM

cash!

there's a lot of people selling for cash.
where are you situated?
unclemantis

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 09:56:08 AM

How exactly does that work? I went to the site and read the FAQ but im still a bit unsure as too how I actually make a transaction. I assume you have to meet the person face to face hence the reason they provide the distance of the seller/buyer? I hate to be picky but if thats the case then id rather find a different method to where I can just sit on my computer and buy bitcoins.

Get outside. Get some sun Smiley A walk to your local mall or bank is not going to kill you.

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
sc00bysnax (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 09:59:23 AM

I mean, I know I can get bitcoins by going out and depositing cash/money gram. Id just like to know if theres a way :/
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:00:37 AM

I mean, I know I can get bitcoins by going out and depositing cash/money gram. Id just like to know if theres a way :/

you can most probably also just hand cash to someone and they will transfer you BTC instantly.
sc00bysnax (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:02:40 AM

you can most probably also just hand cash to someone and they will transfer you BTC instantly.

Yeah, but let me throw out a scenario. Its 3 in the morning and I need some quick bitcoins. I cant go anywhere to get them except for the internet.
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:06:42 AM

Yeah, but let me throw out a scenario. Its 3 in the morning and I need some quick bitcoins. I cant go anywhere to get them except for the internet.

no, there's no bitcoin ATMs yet.
I adivse to always keep a healthy balance of BTC :-D
unclemantis

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:06:54 AM

Sounds like you are in need of a LOAN!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=65.0

unclemantis

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:13:56 AM

Prostitution Grin

Shocked

capsqrl

Activity: 444
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:19:30 AM

That's not easy or even possible for anyone, and age has nothing to do with it. I'm sorry if you're battling with agoraphobia or something, but you may have to leave the house in order to get bitcoins.

Norsk Bitcoin-bruker? Kom til /r/BitcoinNO på reddit!
sc00bysnax (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:23:57 AM

That's not easy or even possible for anyone, and age has nothing to do with it. I'm sorry if you're battling with agoraphobia or something, but you may have to leave the house in order to get bitcoins.

How does age have nothing to do with it? If I was 18 I would have multiple ways of funding online accounts to buy bitcoins with. That would in turn make it possible to go through any exchange site getting rid of my problem.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:25:29 AM

I suffer from agoraphobia and I find some pretty ingenious ways of putting as much distance as possible between me and people and getting the job done.

Again... go for a LOAN. Just ask man. State your case. Say you need a Loan of say 2 bitcoins and you will pay them back within 24 hours with interest. Say 7 percent. And then pay back 2.17 bitcoin and you are good to go!

Be sure to tell the lenders what you need the bitcoin for. Now if it is to buy drugs on silk road, try and be a little more discrete about it. Remember. Google spiders this site!!!! Don't need YOUR name out there associated with drugs now do you? :-D

unclemantis

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:26:25 AM

How does age have nothing to do with it? If I was 18 I would have multiple ways of funding online accounts to buy bitcoins with. That would in turn make it possible to go through any exchange site getting rid of my problem.

You are under 18 and you still have multiple ways. Reread what I have posted. I have given you great ideas.

unclemantis

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:28:25 AM

Oh and BTW. Try and put a payment address in your profile text or your signature. You never know! I have had people randomly give me btc just for the hell of it and I never know who it is from Smiley

<----------- see?

sc00bysnax (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:29:13 AM

You are under 18 and you still have multiple ways. Reread what I have posted. I have given you great ideas.

I here ya man, problem with a loan is what about next time? I dont want to take a loan out from someone every time I want some bitcoins. Just a reliable method that I can repeat without any changing variables.
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:35:57 AM

Open an account on bitstamp.net, then do a SEPA and buy yourself some coins.
sc00bysnax (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 10:50:17 AM

Open an account on bitstamp.net, then do a SEPA and buy yourself some coins.

SEPA as in Single Euro Payments Area?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: