Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:46:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FAKE news: "3 billion HKD lost" in Mycoin.hk bitcoin exchange runoff  (Read 4475 times)
hknews (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:10:53 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2015, 10:54:57 PM by hknews

Today a fake news about "A Hong Kong based exchanger mycoin.hk run off with 3 billion HKD (around 380 million US dollar)" came out in public, however the number of money lost in this news are FAKE!

Remember the $10 dollar fake bitcoins sold at Mtgox's last life cycle? If you took the risk to buy 1000 of them, can you say you lost 1000 * $220 current market price = 220,000 dollars? Well Hong Kong media definitely do so, same thing is happening again with mycoin.hk. Most bitcoins lost at there were bought at less than $20 US dollars!

news link:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1707565/investors-fear-hk3b-losses-closure-bitcoin-trading-company
http://money.udn.com/storypage.php?sub_id=5603&art_id=696371
http://cablenews.i-cable.com/webapps/news_video/index.php?news_id=451648

These news are ALL USING THE FAKE NUMBER

Most Hong Kong local news reporters don't understand the whole thing or just make up this huge number to create the "big lost" story in the name of bitcoin(new tech + big lost always take eye-balls),

I will show you how this "3 billion Hong Kong dollars" was made out:

Mycoin.hk is the runoff exchanger here (NOT mycoin.com, some media reporters mistaken reporting the exchanger's website domain), This exchanger has a really small market share, even smaller than kraken.com, it used to have around 500 btcs trades per day but about a half year ago it started to delay and stop processing client's withdrawals, since it's too small not many people even know about it, only some of their clients talked about it at months ago.

Mycoin.hk also set the daily bitcoin withdraw limit to 0.5 btc per day(since 3-5 months ago), then 0.1 per day(since about 2-3 months ago), then 0.01 per day(since 1-2 months ago), during this crazy time, bitcoin price traded on their exchange market dropped from market price to $500HKD $200HKD $100HKD $50HKD $20HKD $10HKD.. There are two reasons of this drop: First, the exchanger was trying to attract fiat deposits and stop clients from asking withdrawals like the Mtgox did, almost every Chinese including Hong Kong citizens kept warning/laughing at this old trick, however there are always some people would take the risk and made deposits to buy their "super cheap coins" and hoping may be they can withdraw again someday, Second, the exchanger was trying to pretend everything is fine and their trading activity is still high.

Most people in Mainland China and Hong Kong SAR know about this situation at long long time ago (people talked about this at many Chinese bitcoin forum since the end of 2014), Now today the exchanger finally gone down as everyone's expected.

The interesting thing is now the media journalists sum all the bitcoins in mycoin.hk's clients accounts and get the 3 billions HKD number from:
Amount of fake and super cheap bitcoin * current market price = 3 billions HKD <-- well, this is fake because most of bitcoins there never existed and were "bought" by risk takers and existing desperate clients at a price from $500hkd(60 USD) to $100hkd(16 USD) to $10hkd(1.2 USD) in recent months.

In conclusion, A really small exchanger gone down, less than may be let's say half million HKD(including real bitcoins deposited at there) is lost (because mycoin.hk stop processing withdrawals at long time ago, some real clients must have lost something), "100000000+" or whatever fake bicoins bought at there at a super discount price (99.9% off) are also gone, a so call "3 billions HKD (300 millions USD) lost" was added up by media reporters with a formula "never existed & super cheap fake coins" * current market price = "fake 3 billions HKD"

If you are waiting for those "never existed & super cheap fake coins" dump into the market, not gonna happen,
If you are waiting for Chinese market to panic, give it up, most Chinese know the mycoin.hk exchanger would runoff at a half year ago

That's it, thank you for reading, and please, if someone know or connected to the Hong Kong news  media please ask them to correct this outrageous howler.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:38:59 PM

Tell that to my aunt who lost her life savings....

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
fonzie

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:52:47 PM

None of the newssites clams that they calculated the missing money with BTC/CNY prices. They don´t a say a word about the number of missing bitcoins. They say that people paid on average 400k$ KH for some contracts.
"Investors said they were lured by promises of a HK$1 million return in four months for buying a HK$400,000 bitcoin contract "
Most of this story has nothing to with real Bitcoins. It´s just a typical ponzi that has chosen to use Bitcoin for it´s marketing. But still, bad news is bad news(for Bitcoin) and missing FIAT money is still missing.

Stop bullscamming, no one will buy your overpriced coins. No sane chinese will ever put fresh money into anything that is related to Bitcoin!

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

if this number is real i gonna make a freaking ponzi site tommorow  Angry

same style just with better looks, $1 billion here i come  Cool

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:28:35 PM

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 11:30:30 PM

I suspected it was some kind of FAKE news. Or at least misinformed one

If it were totally true  prices would be sub 150 by now
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 11:35:01 PM

For this to be real, the average amount per investor would be = ~$127,000 USD
It is fake.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:47:14 PM

For this to be real, the average amount per investor would be = ~$127,000 USD
It is fake.

You guys really are into that word, aren't you?

"Investor"

The proper term is "Sucker"
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:17:18 AM

Its obviously fake news.
Dont know what this dude is trying to pull off from trying this, but by the style of his writing i think its some 15yo that sold too early, or just a random troll for that matter.

To be honest, bitcoin price is declining slowly all by itself, there is no need to push it down :]
exapted

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 09:52:09 AM

This is real news. I know someone who's family gambled on mycoin. I can't say anything about the amounts, however.
hdd3go
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 11:46:12 AM

3 billion HKD that means 3,000 clients who had invested HK$1m ($12,890) each, 130,000 dollars each, just for investment? Well, I don't think we Chinese are so wealthy like that.

This could be a real new, but the number or the calculation method of that number might be wrong, I guess.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:11:27 PM

3 billion HKD that means 3,000 clients who had invested HK$1m ($12,890) each, 130,000 dollars each, just for investment? Well, I don't think we Chinese are so wealthy like that.

This could be a real new, but the number or the calculation method of that number might be wrong, I guess.

1 million HKD is 128'000 USD not 12'890 USD.

Their cloud mining contracts were 400'000 HKD each, and there are testimonials of people buying 8 contracts; so an average of 2.5 contracts per client seems reasonable.

The only questionable number is 3000 clients; it may be inflated, but it is not too high for an MLM scheme in a place like Hong Kong.

EDIT: Hong Kong has 7 million inhabitants and a median income of over 20'000 HKD/month.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:23:44 PM

Wow... Really everyone seems to believe this news and people are citing it for the decline earlier today. It's interesting how easily people can be manipulated in the Bitcoin world. There's simply no way of knowing what's true or legitimate...

ajareselde
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:24:03 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/hong-kong-exchange-mycoin-disappears-387m-reports-claim/

Ok, so it seams the news are kind of real, but only one half.
"exchange" existed and did scam people for large sum of money, but didnt actualy trade bitcoins, users were only promissed bitcoins after a certan amount of time.
So i highly doubt this will have much negative impact on price.

cheers
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:25:26 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/hong-kong-exchange-mycoin-disappears-387m-reports-claim/

"exchange" existed and did scam people for large sum of money, but didnt actualy trade bitcoins, users were only promissed bitcoins after a certan amount of time.

cheers

I call it "ponzi scheme" , or am I wrong ? "The aggrieved clients, who claim MyCoin is a pyramid scheme packaged as bitcoin trading, said they had been unable to contact the company’s management, while sales staff at higher levels claimed they too had been the victims of deception."

Source : http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1708308/mycoin-director-quit-one-month-bitcoin-platform-changed-trading-rules
ajareselde
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:31:19 PM

cheers

I call it "ponzi scheme" , or am I wrong ? "The aggrieved clients, who claim MyCoin is a pyramid scheme packaged as bitcoin trading, said they had been unable to contact the company’s management, while sales staff at higher levels claimed they too had been the victims of deception."

Source : http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1708308/mycoin-director-quit-one-month-bitcoin-platform-changed-trading-rules

Yes , it was a classical ponzi, where they even asked clients to bring in new members in order to be paid out.
It doent get any clearer than this.
I fail to understand what those people were thinking, if you want bitcoin , then just go and buy them and send to your wallet, everything else is pointless and insecure.

cheers
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:34:04 PM

cheers

Yes , it was a classical ponzi, where they even asked clients to bring in new members in order to be paid out.
It doent get any clearer than this.
I fail to understand what those people were thinking, if you want bitcoin , then just go and buy them and send to your wallet, everything else is pointless and insecure.

cheers

The people saw "free money" and join (also if they know it is a ponzi). However maybe this will not affect the bitcoin price, but let us wait 48-72 hours.

v0yager

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 03:40:18 PM

3 billions HKD? It's nothing more than fake number. if it was real, than this exchange could be the large exchange as MtGox or Bitstamp. But the truth is many people including Chinese do not seem to know about this exchange.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 04:04:14 PM

It is not clear whether mycoin.hk also included an exchange, there are conflicting reports on that.  If they did have an exchange, it was a small one.  The big scam was their cloud mining operation, which apparently was just a ponzi scheme and had no real bitcoins and no real mining.

Nevertheless, the latest small drop in price (from 1380 CNY to 1350 in a few minutes, with a recovery to 1360) happened just after 8pm in China local time.  It may have been a reaction to the news showing on TV, perhaps.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 04:37:48 PM

...It's interesting how easily people can be manipulated in the Bitcoin world. There's simply no way of knowing what's true or legitimate...

Bullish!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: