Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:53:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The last thing I want to see is political correctness.  (Read 1626 times)
Anonymous

May 23, 2011, 06:20:42 PM

I am seeing a lot of users beginning to complain about nihilist-fringe individuals getting their voices heard in the frequent political discussions that occur on the forum, which should be expected. Bitcoin is a huge political statement unto itself. However, we should not stand-by and let only the status-quo be heard in discussions. For every status-quo, humble opinion there should be an opposing view. This allows us to escape from the groupthink that has plagued so many other communities.

So, here's my position: let the politics occur. Let all voices be heard. Let people be offended because if not this forum will regress to anything but a rigorous and quality conversation.

Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:24:02 PM

* kiba yawn.

I am sorry..what?

I saw a few thread on anarcho-capitalism lately. Looks to me there ain't any censorship.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:35:48 PM

I know what you mean, some people are calling for increased moderation of fringe opinions because it "might scare off new people". Yeah, ... once you start self-censoring where does it end.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:42:24 PM

I don't care if it scares of new people.  This is a forum, it is not Bitcoin itself.  I will not sensor civilly expressed personal opinions, personally.  That would violate my own principles.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:42:58 PM

I am seeing a lot of users beginning to complain about nihilist-fringe individuals getting their voices heard in the frequent political discussions that occur on the forum, which should be expected. Bitcoin is a huge political statement unto itself. However, we should not stand-by and let only the status-quo be heard in discussions. For every status-quo, humble opinion there should be an opposing view. This allows us to escape from the groupthink that has plagued so many other communities.

So, here's my position: let the politics occur. Let all voices be heard. Let people be offended because if not this forum will regress to anything but a rigorous and quality conversation.

Thank you.

My experience with Anonymous over 3.5 months is that the bitchiest Beavises get things done.

So, +9000. Ultimately the most eloquent argument is still just a wankspew on the Internet. Sometimes the moment before an epiphany is when people are at their worst. Let the process work.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12865

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:54:04 PM

There will be no censorship of these ideas.

If someone responds to a topic with a comment consisting of something like, "This should not be allowed on the forum," their post is off-topic and should be deleted. Report it. (Note that this would be OK as part of an on-topic post, though.)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
shady financier

Activity: 84

etcetera

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:56:40 PM

Thank you.

The fringers voices are doomed to decline. As bitcoin becomes more popular, more and more people that don't have a pathological hatred of government will start to trickle in. Fringers will find themselves increasingly alienated and marginalized in the face of an inevitable onslaught of 'norms'.

Eventually, bitter and disillusioned, the fringers will slink off to Free Republic or john-galt.com or wherever it is they find like-minded others, taking their copies of Atlas Shrugged and their Mises articles and their thousands and thousands of bitcoins with them.

Hey, thousands and thousands of bitcoins is worth something, so it's not a completely crappy deal.Wink

The future belongs to the norms guys. Tax-loving law-embracing norms, because bitcoin will enter the realm of the mainstream.

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 07:14:36 PM

The fringers voices are doomed to decline. As bitcoin becomes more popular, more and more people that don't have a pathological hatred of government will start to trickle in. Fringers will find themselves increasingly alienated and marginalized in the face of an inevitable onslaught of 'norms'.

Eventually, bitter and disillusioned, the fringers will slink off to Free Republic or john-galt.com or wherever it is they find like-minded others, taking their copies of Atlas Shrugged and their Mises articles and their thousands and thousands of bitcoins with them.

Hey, thousands and thousands of bitcoins is worth something, so it's not a completely crappy deal.Wink

The future belongs to the norms guys. Tax-loving law-embracing norms, because bitcoin will enter the realm of the mainstream.

Don't care about norms and not-norms. I have enough of being a disillusioned and bitter do-nothinger. Bitcoin make me a bitter and disillusioned doer.

Now I run a magazine that manages to employ people, some for quite a while.

Anonymous

May 23, 2011, 07:32:31 PM

Thank you.

Only time will tell and the moment Bitcoin is embraced by the mainstream, the increasing entropy will only cause liberty to flourish.
AntiVigilante

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 07:38:37 PM

The fringers voices are doomed to decline.

Yipee. Your point is?

As bitcoin becomes more popular, more and more people that don't have a pathological hatred of government will start to trickle in.

Pathological. You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

It means tending towards or being self-destructive.

1. You're confusing responsible governance with bloated government, particularly because you're too comfortable to differentiate the two.
2. You ignore the criminal governers and suffering governed, which is why you use the word pathological carelessly.
3. Drug war.
4. FCC.
5. WTO.
6. Civilian Inmate Labor Program.
7. War on terriblism.
8. FDA.
9. United Homeless Organization.
10. TSA.

You can google the rest.

Fringers will find themselves increasingly alienated and marginalized in the face of an inevitable onslaught of 'norms'.

You must have been in a cave the last ten years.

Eventually, bitter and disillusioned

We're not the ones on the couch editorializing arrogant prognoses against fellow human beings. Bitterness and disillusionment is a separation from activity and validation in the real world. We code, we sell, and we build these services that you can't even be bothered to imagine. We get our validation from actual trial and error with a little bit of talent and skill. We're well grounded. You're the one riding the bus, not driving it. When the bus stalls, we'll know what to do. You'll be pulling your hair out. Bitter and disillusioned is in your future, not ours.

the fringers will slink off to Free Republic or john-galt.com

Bitter? Us? Read that again.

or wherever it is they find like-minded others

There's this place called the Internet, tough guy.

taking their copies of Atlas Shrugged and their Mises articles and their thousands and thousands of bitcoins with them.

I'm not mining. I'm getting paid to code. In BTC, after which I buy diapers.

You're welcome.

Where Quantitatively Easing Antelopes roam.

Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 07:40:46 PM

Don't care about norms and not-norms. I have enough of being a disillusioned and bitter do-nothinger. Bitcoin make me a bitter and disillusioned doer.

Now I run a magazine that manages to employ people, some for quite a while.

And prints comics about the holy Bitcoin bubble, mother of all bubbles.

There's a pattern I've witnessed in here. Goes like this: Someone comes in here writing a caustic critic on Bitcoin. Whether the critic is well written or not, it often more than not delve into political implications. People argue against the political statement, critic and his defenders stray from the political point to spill into some heartfelt tear shedding emotional rant about anarchists being at the crossing point between stupidity, youth, irrationality (oh the irony) and whatever else they care to mix in. From there on, shit goes monkey ass.

I think if it wasn't for nursing ill thoughts towards the government and the way things are run, this project wouldn't have been born. If there is motivation in frustration, I think that everyone from the developers themselves to the first day adopters have joined at least partially because of that frustration and the need to break away from this enforced nonsense. In sum, I'm describing everyone who is somehow responsible for the state in which Bitcoin is now.

As such, I think this difference should be clearly expressed and nurtured in here. There is no need to register here to use Bitcoins. The mining and technical forums are devoid of politics. The loon fest and flame wars are limited to the general, economic and off topic forums. I say, let them be!

JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:02:06 AM

Lol, you read my mind almost word for word. All these recent calls for censorship for the sake of PR and branding have left a bad taste in my mouth so today I loaded up on cyberpunk books to replace the time I usually spent reading and posting here.
AntiVigilante

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:07:14 AM

Lol, you read my mind almost word for word. All these recent calls for censorship for the sake of PR and branding have left a bad taste in my mouth so today I loaded up on cyberpunk books to replace the time I usually spent reading and posting here.

Careful he'll take that as an endorsement of his intent.

sortedmush

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:30:25 AM

fRiNgErS!
Another word for lumping things you don't understand into a neat derogatory sounding category.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: