Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:55:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitGOLD the most expensive cryptocurrency? Trading at around 5.5 BTC  (Read 1278 times)
Shuai (OP)

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 07:51:24 PM

https://bter.com/trade/bitgld_btc

Since bitGOLD is a bitshares market pegged asset (whitepaper: http://docs.bitshares.org/content/) it means that it tracks the price of an ounce of gold very closely and should thus be worth around 1300 USD. I think I remember bitcoin briefly surpassed this price at the height of the bubble. Any other crypto ever came close? I realise price per unit is completely arbitrary but it's still interesting to see which one has the highest price.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
runpaint

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 12:16:43 AM

BitLamborghini is more expensive.  Each coin represents the value of 1 Lamborghini.  It really makes more sense than Bitcoin, because just mining coins only produces coins.  But with BitGold or BitLamborghini, you can run computers for no reason and also pay the price of something very expensive, without actually getting what you pay for. 

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
caga

Activity: 238

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 09:30:32 AM

https://bter.com/trade/bitgld_btc

Since bitGOLD is a bitshares market pegged asset (whitepaper: http://docs.bitshares.org/content/) it means that it tracks the price of an ounce of gold very closely and should thus be worth around 1300 USD. I think I remember bitcoin briefly surpassed this price at the height of the bubble. Any other crypto ever came close? I realise price per unit is completely arbitrary but it's still interesting to see which one has the highest price.

The price dropped by 10% in the last 2 days, Seems like a risky coin now.
How is it trackin the price of gold, if people buying and selling manipulates the price ?

Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:27:36 AM

Coins with a very, very low supply can achieve per-coin prices much higher than BTC. For example, there will only be 42 42coins ever produced. The coin itself is dead and nobody likes it but each coin is still priced at 5 times that of BTC. It's currently priced a bit lower than bitGOLD but it was much higher in the past.

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/42-coin/
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 07:34:22 AM

BitLamborghini is more expensive.  Each coin represents the value of 1 Lamborghini.  It really makes more sense than Bitcoin, because just mining coins only produces coins.  But with BitGold or BitLamborghini, you can run computers for no reason and also pay the price of something very expensive, without actually getting what you pay for. 
Typical Bitshares' user

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
Shuai (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:42:18 AM

Coins with a very, very low supply can achieve per-coin prices much higher than BTC. For example, there will only be 42 42coins ever produced. The coin itself is dead and nobody likes it but each coin is still priced at 5 times that of BTC. It's currently priced a bit lower than bitGOLD but it was much higher in the past.

I should make 0.0001coin! Cheesy
TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:40:49 PM

Unit price is pointless for comparison. Marketcap is a much better indicator and I don't even see this on the main page of CMC.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
ahmi

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 02:33:03 PM

Hmm...bitGOLD...a nice cryptocurrency and I like so much  Smiley
StanLarimer

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 02:44:36 PM

BitShares BitGold is currently at 195 on coinmarketcap in traditional ranking.  This is misleading.

Since it trades against BitShares and all the other assets shown above on the #4 BitShares blockchain, its status is more a reflection of the desire people currently have to lock against gold vs some other commodity or fiat currency.  Interest may pick up this spring when we expect companies start offering direct off-ramps from BitGold and BitSilver to the physical metals themselves.  Ever try to buy physical bullion and wait for days for your wire to get there to lock in the price?  Would you like to be able to lock physical it in ten seconds? 

Yeah, I though so.

At different times the global market will perceive each of these pegs as a safe haven.  Right now, gold is seen as more volatile than the USD or CNY and therefore not where most people want to park risk-off money.  When the world fiat currencies start misbehaving, we'll see the mix adjust in about ten seconds.

Its best to look at the sum of all these BitAssets when assessing how they are catching on, since they form a common set of options inside a single "Smart Coin" implemented as the decentralized exchange known as BitShares.

You can program your Smart Coins to track any basket of BitAssets.
 -- Roll your own custom risk mix. -- 

That is the real power of BitShares.

Shuai (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:08:02 PM

Unit price is pointless for comparison. Marketcap is a much better indicator and I don't even see this on the main page of CMC.

I'd say unit price is pretty important when we're dealing with a pegged asset Wink

But otherwise you're correct, being the most expensive cryptocurrency is just a fun but ultimately meaningless title.
najzenmajsen

Activity: 700

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:15:42 PM

Unit price isent pointless , it shows everyone how kewl your coin is : >
coinmaster222

Activity: 756

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 03:02:00 PM

I should make 0.0001coin! Cheesy

Not correct unless it is hard forked it could produce a 186 coins

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: