Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:31:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens to Bitcoin when free energy is available?  (Read 8806 times)
Joric

Activity: 67
Merit: 130

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:37:49 AM

What energy is free?  Like hamsters going in a wheel? Smiley

If they wouldn't eat.. Damn, I pay almost less for my own dinner..

Heard someone just tried 51% attack on LTC. Easy with those hamsters!

1JoricCBkW8C5m7QUZMwoRz9rBCM6ZSy96

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 03:17:25 AM

successful attack or rejected?

mooseman99

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:23:09 AM

Many landlords include electricity in the rent, and at some universities electricity is free, so some people may already have "free" energy.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 03:29:08 AM

successful attack or rejected?
ongoing, claimed to be.

But are you living under a rock? The Alternate Cryptocurrency Forum has been the source of so much Drama lately it wouldn't surprise me if Ebaumsworld got wind if it.  Grin
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:38:48 AM

If unlimited energy were freely available to everyone all the time, everything would become a hobby. Including Bitcoin. Time would become the limiting factor, not money.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:56:54 AM

If unlimited energy were freely available to everyone all the time, everything would become a hobby. Including Bitcoin. Time would become the limiting factor, not money.

yes, money would become irrelevant
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:12:22 AM

I asked Multivac and the response was:

"INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR MEANINGFUL ANSWER."

I'll try again later...

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:28:08 AM

What happens with ALIENS? They probably have real fast computers.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 04:31:43 AM

Roll Eyes

why do a 51% attack
when you can calculate the human race out of existence

Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:47:25 AM

Roll Eyes

why do a 51% attack
when you can calculate the human race out of existence
Everyone knows aliens are trolls
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:00:03 AM

The energy won't really be free, we would be siphoning it from another dimension or something. Once they figure out what is going on, clearly those beings would come to control the cost of transactions. In essence bitcoins are energy credits. They are the ideal inter-dimensional currency.
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:19:13 AM

The energy won't really be free, we would be siphoning it from another dimension or something. Once they figure out what is going on, clearly those beings would come to control the cost of transactions. In essence bitcoins are energy credits. They are the ideal inter-dimensional currency.

Perfect!
bb113

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:24:25 AM

Also:

I'm talking about these techonoliges i've heard about investors creating stuff in the past 100 years or so where the cost of electricity to run batteries generates more energy then it takes to run the batteries. I guess the gov and other rich companies raided these inventors and thus oil continues to rain.. I digress. What will happen in this case of free energy?

*investors/=inventors. That is a bad Freudian slip.
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:18:03 AM

Also:

I'm talking about these techonoliges i've heard about investors creating stuff in the past 100 years or so where the cost of electricity to run batteries generates more energy then it takes to run the batteries. I guess the gov and other rich companies raided these inventors and thus oil continues to rain.. I digress. What will happen in this case of free energy?

*investors/=inventors. That is a bad typing slip.
FTFY
bb113

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:24:39 AM

Also:

*investors/=inventors. That is a bad typing slip.
FTFY

I don't want to go OT because actually I think this discussion of how bitcoins, or at least things like it, are energy credits is really important to realize. But just because it came out of your fingers rather than vocal cords doesn't make it less a Freudian slip. We should also consider the power of spell checkers to encourage certain fraudian slips over others.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 06:35:47 AM

There will never be such thing as free energy. Did you mean cheap energy? Energy is already cheap, it's very close to cheapest it has ever been.

I wonder what's going to happen to Bitcoin when energy gets expensive.
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:15:48 AM

Actually the fascinating concept here is energy storage or transmission using the bitcoin network. What i mean by this is if extra solar or wind capacity is used to mine BTC, and conversely BTC miners shut down during peak hours regionally,  we will have the same effect as if excess energy in in one region was sold and transmitted to another region.  But without transmission losses!  Bitcoin is awesome!

could you explain this more rigorously?

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 12:02:13 PM

Energy will only get more expensive as far as the eye can see.

Oh - and if you think there is a technological fix (fusion, say) read this:
 http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2012/04/economist-meets-physicist/

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:10:41 PM

Actually the fascinating concept here is energy storage or transmission using the bitcoin network. What i mean by this is if extra solar or wind capacity is used to mine BTC, and conversely BTC miners shut down during peak hours regionally,  we will have the same effect as if excess energy in in one region was sold and transmitted to another region.  But without transmission losses!  Bitcoin is awesome!

could you explain this more rigorously?

I believe what he's getting at is something like this. Let's say there's two huge 100TH/s mining farms, one in California and one in India. The idea is that during the day in California you shut down the rig there while running in India, and during the night (day in India) you turn on the Cali rig and shut down the Indian rig. The network hashrate contribution stays constant at 100TH/s, but in effect since the load is on only during the best times it's like transmitting the power.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 4271

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:23:53 PM

Energy will only get more expensive as far as the eye can see.

Oh - and if you think there is a technological fix (fusion, say) read this:
 http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2012/04/economist-meets-physicist/

outstanding...thank you

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: