Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:25:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which PGP program is trusted and free?  (Read 1834 times)
BusyBeaverHP (OP)

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 01:21:41 PM

After practicing some RSA math problems, I think I understand public key cryptography now. I want to practice PGP. Which PGP program is trusted and free?
Gisado

Activity: 168

Yoohoo

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 01:25:34 PM

After practicing some RSA math problems, I think I understand public key cryptography now. I want to practice PGP. Which PGP program is trusted and free?
GnuPG.
BusyBeaverHP (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 01:29:01 PM

GnuPG.
Just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

... Too bad they only accept CC and Paypal for donation. Time to email them about bitcoin donations.
Gisado

Yoohoo

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 01:47:58 PM

GnuPG.

... Too bad they only accept CC and Paypal for donation. Time to email them about bitcoin donations.
They accept btc donation: read donation page. They indirectly receives the bitcoins... uhm.

EDIT: Well...
(Donating Bitcoins is possible via the Wau Holland Stiftung; see the donation page for details.)
Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 01:52:49 PM

Muhammed Zakir showed me this couple of days when I needed the same thing . => http://www.gpg4win.org/ , downloaded it but didn't try it yet tho . good luck mate

~ Madness

Gisado

Yoohoo

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 01:57:29 PM

Muhammed Zakir showed me this couple of days when I needed the same thing . => http://www.gpg4win.org/ , downloaded it but didn't try it yet tho . good luck mate

~ Madness
That's the windows implementation of GnuPG, so same program Grin
Well, I once used keybase.io, but I felt unsecure storing private key there.
BusyBeaverHP (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:32:32 PM

GnuPG.

They accept btc donation: read donation page. They indirectly receives the bitcoins... uhm.

(Donating Bitcoins is possible via the Wau Holland Stiftung; see the donation page for details.)
With a single sentence hiding in the paragraph, it's not obvious enough. The Wau Holland Stiftung site linked is way too many hops and too far removed from the original PnuPG donation.

Someone like me skims past and goes directly to the donation form, if I don't see it there, then it is a missed opportunity for GnuPG.

The most obvious solution is to just post a bitcoin QR code on/near the donation form. I'm going to have to contact them about that.
champbronc2

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:00:15 PM

GPG4WIN is really easy IMO and free.

http://www.gpg4win.org/

https://bitquick.co - Buy bitcoins instantly with cash at 2% fee or Sell Bitcoins at 0% fee with BitQuick.co. Encourage safer, more secure trading! Stop selling on LocalBitcoins.
Safe trading resource: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208203.0 Read it before you ever make a trade! Know what you're getting yourself into!
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:29:25 PM

The one that comes by default with Tails, forgot the name.
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:59:26 PM

You can try get some keybase invites. I think MZ has some.

Keybase.io is an online PGP service which allows you to sign messages, verify messages with signatures and encrypt and decrypt messages.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
MaoChao
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1133

Get Some!

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:17:27 PM

http://www.gpg4usb.org

Gisado

Yoohoo

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:12:34 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 05:27:00 AM by Gisado

GnuPG.

With a single sentence hiding in the paragraph, it's not obvious enough. The Wau Holland Stiftung site linked is way too many hops and too far removed from the original PnuPG donation.

Someone like me skims past and goes directly to the donation form, if I don't see it there, then it is a missed opportunity for GnuPG.

The most obvious solution is to just post a bitcoin QR code on/near the donation form. I'm going to have to contact them about that.
I didn't think about that, good point.

Keybase.io is an online PGP service which allows you to sign messages, verify messages with signatures and encrypt and decrypt messages.
I have account there, have 3 invites, but I don't use keybase.io as you have to store private keys. (If someone wants invite, feel free to PM me)

EDIT: I need your email address to send keybase.io invitation,  if you do not wish to provide email address, do not send PM.
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 02:41:26 PM

GnuPG.

I didn't think about that, good point.

I have account there, have 3 invites, but I don't use keybase.io as you have to store private keys. (If someone wants invite, feel free to PM me)

Well it's convenient since you can access it from anywhere.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 06:05:16 PM

It's safe and you should encrypt your PGP key before uploading. Typically a password like G@ra# would be better instead of garage. I think you got the point. See about the decryption of PGP key in Keybase : https://github.com/keybase/keybase-issues/issues/1401.

Yup, I still have 6 invitation. See keybase.io/kzm279 to check whether I have invitations.

See above link. BTW, there is a mistake. You don't really want to store your encrypted PGP key in Keybase, you can use their local CMD program but you will have to install a PGP software first, GnuPG recommended. Without hosting private key, Keybase will help your clients to verify or encrypt messages but won't help us.

-MZ

Gisado

Yoohoo

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:15:43 PM

It's safe and you should encrypt your PGP key before uploading. Typically a password like G@ra# would be better instead of garage. I think you got the point. See about the decryption of PGP key in Keybase : https://github.com/keybase/keybase-issues/issues/1401.

Yup, I still have 6 invitation. See keybase.io/kzm279 to check whether I have invitations.

See above link. BTW, there is a mistake. You don't really want to store your encrypted PGP key in Keybase, you can use their local CMD program but you will have to install a PGP software first, GnuPG recommended. Without hosting private key, Keybase will help your clients to verify or encrypt messages but won't help us.

-MZ
Well, hosting pubkey should be enough for 'encrypt' and 'verify' for other users - 'decrypt' and 'sign' is the thing that can only be done with privkey.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 10:07:20 PM

Believe these should be trusted and free:

http://www.gpg4win.org/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppgp/

http://www.goanywheremft.com/products/openpgp-studio/download

https://www.gnupg.org/download/

Can't go wrong with any of these.