Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:29:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Results] Backed.io - What Would You Do With A Bitcoin? (1 BTC)  (Read 280 times)
CryptoJunky (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 12:12:24 AM

I posted the results yesterday, but for those of you that didn't see here they are:

here's the post on Backed: https://www.backed.io/posts/post/66

As usual we've had some great entries in our most recent contest. This week's contest poised the question

> What Would You Do With A Bitcoin?

We had a wide range of responses including everything from new bitcoin apps and websites, to donating to charity, to paying it forward.

### Here Is The Full List of Entries

Exploring The Cryptoworld

Ideals vs Pragmatism

Will Wait And Risk For Education

Everything To Edward Snowden

Create Something Revolutionary

A Bitcoin For My Thoughts

We Should Tip The Homeless

HODL half of it and for the other half...

Hide paper wallets all over the town with instructions

I would create a New Bitcoin App

Distribute it among backers of this post

Distribute it in exchange for a photogrid of people

Build My Own Bitcoin Game With Blackjack and Hookers

Help a charity with modern currency in the modern way!!!

Spend It All

I Would Give Some Out In A Public Place

I Would Start Up A Bitcoin Related Website

Make A Bitcoin Website

Develop A Bitcoin Charity

Pay It Foward

Bitcoin T-Shirts With QR Code as a gift for youth!

We're also accepting one entry sent in by email from user *seizure* who was having a hard time registering for Backed.

> I'd talk my girlfriend out to a really fancy restaurant, get on one knee and propose by asking her to marry me.

While some ideas were better than others, I'd still love to be able to give each and everyone one of you a full bitcoin. But alas, there were more entrants to this contest than I have bitcoin, and I still need to hold onto some for follow-on contests! I also considered splitting some additional reward off to particularly good ideas, but decided against this as a lot of the better ideas require a full-bitcoin or possibly more to work properly.

However, I did want to highlight a few posts as *honorable mentions*. These users won't be receiving any bitcoin reward from Backed this week, just the recognition that they put together a good and creative post!

## Honorable Mentions

### Best Futurama Reference In A Title

You might be able to guess that this one is going to user Lodis Knight (espada) for their entry Build My Own Bitcoin Game With Blackjack And Hookers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGi6Q1pNbS0

### Best Ways To Spread The Good Word Of Bitcoin

There are to honorable mentions here.

The first goes to user roslinpl who had the idea of printing and handing out t-shirts with bitcoin QR codes on them to students. Read the details at their post Bitcoin T-Shirts with QR code as a gift for youth!

Next up is Eva! Sometimes you've just got to get out there and talk to people. That's exactly what user Eva proposed with their entry I would give some out in a public place.

### Most Artistic Approach To Bitcoin

While possibly difficult to implement, user Icarus came up with a pretty awesome idea that would have us distribute the bitcoin to a group of 10,000 users and include their photos in a large photogrid. You can find details at this entry Distribute it in exchange for a photogrid of people. I'm guessing it would end up something like this:

http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Kim-Dong-Yoo-portraits-550x687.jpg

That is a portrait of Audrie Hepburn made from a lot of smaller portraits, and was created by Korean artist Kim Dong Yoo. It is something we as a community could keep in mind for a future project. One way to go would be to create a **people of bitcoin** portrait, with the overall portrait being an imagined drawing of *Satoshi Nakamoto*.

### User Most Likely To Gain An Unreasonably Large Group Of Backers

This one goes to user triggering for their post Distribute it among the backers of this post. I admire your creativity!

### Most Likely To Create A Positive Feedback Loop

This one goes to user Dr. Who, who wanted to create a Pay It Forward cycle here on Backed. This could be a pretty awesome experiment for the future!

## Grand Prize

The grand prize winner of this week's contest, and your new Backed contest champion is...

MLUCAS

Mlucas' entry Spend It All!!! may not have the most incredible title, nor the largest ambition, but we judged it to be the best entry for a number of reasons. While entries like Develop A Bitcoin Charity were certainly more ambitious, they also most likely would take more than one bitcoin to pull off.

Spending an extended period of time at university can most certainly be difficult and isn't exactly the easiest on the wallet. We also liked mlucas' sincerity:

> It would be great to use that money toward a btc-related project or to save the world somehow, but this year is a very practical one for me.

It's a long held belief of mine that sometimes, for some people, just a little bit of money can help go a long ways. I think that is the case here with mlucas and that's ultimately why he managed to win this week's contest. I managed to make some money off of bitcoin during my last year at university and it helped me tremendously in getting through that year, and in moving across the country shortly afterward.

Congratulations mlucas! Hopefully bitcoin's price sees a huge increase ($10,000 coins anyone?) If so, don't skimp, get yourself a nice Italian suit, there's nothing better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4kxFEXL2eU

## Follow Up Contest

We'll have another contest coming up for the next week. Details will be posted tomorrow!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: