Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:22:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In-person cash to btc purchases tax document requirements?  (Read 1260 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 11:35:46 PM

Please give me your take on the following scenario...

(This is assuming everything in red below is true for person A as well as:

person A sends bitcoins to ->  licensed bitcoin exchange

person A has an exchange account in person A's name and sells for USD and sends USD to a bank account in their name as well.)

DIAGRAM for simplicity:

CASH
PERSON A gives ---------> Person B in person

BTC
PERSON B sends --------> Person A's BTC address (personal wallet or exchange address)

BTC
PERSON A converts ---------> at a profit or loss to USD on licensed exchange

USD
PERSON A sends ----------> to PERSON A's bank account

Question: What documentation would person A be required to have for tax purposes for capital gains losses aside from exchange transactions for person A's account with said exchange and bank statements showing incoming ACH/wire transactions?

Moreso...Are there any MSB registering requirements for the Person A?

Here is something FINCEN posted in Jan 2014.

LINK: http://www.fincen.gov/news_room/nr/html/20140130.html
The second states that a company purchasing and selling convertible virtual currency as an investment exclusively for the company’s benefit is not a money transmitter. The rulings further interpret FinCEN’s March 18, 2013 Guidance to address these business models.

Any input?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin CPA

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 04:23:16 PM

Ok let's say you paid Mr. Jones $1,000 in cash.  Are you using localbitcoins.com?

* if you are being super-conservative, you would get a cash receipt from Mr. Jones for $1,000.  But I would recommend keeping a record of the date, person's name (in this case, Mr. Jones), and an accounting entry debiting "Bitcoin Receivable" and crediting "Cash" for $1,000.  This is where good bookkeeping comes in which is another service that I offer Smiley

Mr. Jones sends 4 BTC to your wallet.  So your cost basis for each BTC is $250, what you paid.

scenario (A)   accounting entries would be a debit to "Bitcoins" and a credit to "Bitcoin Recievable" for $1,000

scenario (B) as you and I both know, BTC prices change fast ... so if by the time you receive the 4 Bitcoin and the price dropped to $225 then you debit "loss on Bitcoin trades" for $100 and "Bitcoins" for $900 ... then a credit to "Bitcoin Receivable" for $1,000

Smoothie converts the BTC to cash on BTCe at $275 a BTC for a total of $1,100
 (A) you would debit "Cash" for $1,100 and credit "gain on Bitcoin trades" for $100 and "Bitcoins" for $1,000
(B) you would debit "Cash" for $1,100 and credit "gain on Bitcoin trades" for $200 and "Bitcoins" for $900

Smoothie sends $1,100 cash to his/her bank account.
in both scenarios, debit to your "bank account" for $1,100 and credit to "cash on BTCe" for $1,100

The documentation that I would recommend is your accounting or bookkeeping entries (if audited explain that obtaining a cash receipt from Mr. Jones was impractical), hard-copies of the transactions on your exchange showing the prices of the BTC when received and converted, and a copy of the deposit to your bank account .... where most people screw up is they only have documentation of the bank deposit and count the entire $1,100 as a gain which is incorrect.  You have to keep track of the cost basis of your Bitcoins.  In both scenarios above, you only had a $100 gain, not $1,100. 

I would strongly argue that "No" you are not a Bitcoin Exchange.  Bitcoin Exchanges do thousands of transactions a day.  Also, if challenged by IRS, you could argue that you are a Bitcoin investor.  The tax and legal rules on Bitcoin are very gray.  Lastly, I would advise that you discontinue person-to-person transactions. They are too risky and you might be dealing with an undercover law enforcement agent.  Sell and buy on-line using Western Union on LocalBitcoins.com

Hope that this helps.  If you have more questions, call me at 410-209-9365.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: